It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how wold you handle a work freak out?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
any advice is much appreciated because tomorrow i am going to have to deal with this.

i will try to make it short and to the point.

in my office is also the tensile machine for pulling samples and a table with broken samples that we have to save. when table fills up the lab dude is supposed to box them and move them to storage.
he has not been doing that so there are a lot of samples.

my boss tells me we have a job starting tomorrow that i have to get involved in and freaked out about it cause technically it is not my job. i used to work the lab and sometimes i fill in but when lab dude is working its not my problem.
now i dont care about getting involved cause i am all caught up.
my boss freaked out though.

so he starts taking these broken tensile samples from the table and dumps them all over the tensile machine base. all over the keyboard to the machine. all over the mouse and chords. on the floor.
took lab dudes safety glasses and smashed them and just left it all like that.

this 1 thing may not sound like a big deal but it is a big deal. my boss has freaked out before. kicks things. throws garbage cans around. picked his chair up and smashed it into the wall and put a hole in it.

it is a big deal because A it is just not cool. definitely not how you handle it.
also a big deal cause the samples are wire tied together with a tag that indicates type of alloy. which furnace it came from. what the heat number is.

with him throwing them around some of the tags fell off so now we dont have traceability on the samples.
this is a problem.

the advice i am asking for is how to handle it.

the lab guy is going to come in to break samples and freak out.
first he will confront me. of course everyone knows i dont behave like this so they will know it is not me.

that is good but i dont want to throw my boss under the bus even though he did it and shouldnt have and even though i dont like him.

my plan is to tell lab guy i dont know but then he is going to email the GM and then it will get dirty.
the GM is a very unreasonable dude.

he also knows i dont behave like that but it is in my office so i will get called up to the high castle for the big what for.

at that point i fell like i need to tell the GM that it was my boss.
right?

i dont want to throw him under the boss but if i tell the GM i dont know who did it then by default i might catch more heat for it.

my 3rd shift guy was on 1st with me all week and he was sitting next to me when the boss freaked out. so i have his eyes too.

in the end there is a very real possibility my boss will get fired over this.
ultimately i would like that to happen but i dont want to be involved in it.

i feel like if my quality process manager or GM asks me then i will tell them it was my boss.
if lab guy or anyone else at my 'level' asks and i will probably either say i dont know or just tell them to talk to my boss.

what do you all think?

thanks

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Not your problem.
You didn't do any of it so why put yourself in the middle of it ?
Tell lab guy that the boss did it and let them work it out themselves.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
That is a tough spot to be in. I would not consider it throwing your boss under the bus, though. Actions have consequences.

I would assume that if something happens, and you need the tagged alloy and you do not have it, your company could be in huge trouble.

I say be honest when asked, by whom ever.
edit on 6-1-2019 by theatreboy because: I can not spell

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
When the GM asks who is responsible, shrug your shoulders in the most apethetic way possible and just say your boss’ name.

You’re not throwing him under the buss, you’re just making everyone else’s work environment more tolerable.
I wouldn’t be able to work with someone like that.

You’ll be making everyone else’s lives better.
Stupid is as stupid does.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

if your firm has an ISO compliance [ or equivilant ] - for testing QC and tracebility - it sounds like you have - because if not an archive of labled samples SEEMS overkill . and if you had - it has just gone out the window

your boss SHOULD be history

we should not even have this thread

that was gross misconduct with a cherry on top

instant dismissal - do not pass go - do not collect money

save yourself - and attempt to damage control - your boss = toast

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If my 'boss' had a freakout like that I go directly straight above his or her head and tell that person. The workforce isn't a place to be bullied or feel threatened, you're there to work, not watch ill tempered unprofessional people do what they want. I've worked with people like that before, they need to be put in their place or else they will never change.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Before SHTF and you are engaged with your boss, sit down with the GM and plot his ouster with this gem of work-related advice:

Foist the fool. Lab guy can run interference...BOOM he’s foisted on some other GM and get back to ‘lampin’

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Well my response would be to scream my head off and storm out of the room, frightening my co-workers.

Some people should not be given these privileges, which I will cover in a minute or so in my own thread but If you need your job-tough biscuits.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Tell the truth if it comes talking to the people, at higher levels.

You'll make the right decisions, but the real truth is easy to remember, and repeat if necessary.
edit on 6-1-2019 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Not your problem.
You didn't do any of it so why put yourself in the middle of it ?
Tell lab guy that the boss did it and let them work it out themselves.

i am going to be in the middle of it by default because it is my office

in the end i am not going to be in trouble for it but i want to avoid getting summonsed to the high castle and getting screamed at.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

if your firm has an ISO compliance [ or equivilant ] - for testing QC and tracebility - it sounds like you have - because if not an archive of labled samples SEEMS overkill . and if you had - it has just gone out the window

your boss SHOULD be history

we should not even have this thread

that was gross misconduct with a cherry on top

instant dismissal - do not pass go - do not collect money

save yourself - and attempt to damage control - your boss = toast

yeah we have ISO compliance
we just had our audit in november

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

We're it you that acted like a two year old and trashed other people's property, would he toss you under the bus?

If you were fired, would he even call to see if your family was good?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

We're it you that acted like a two year old and trashed other people's property, would he toss you under the bus?

If you were fired, would he even call to see if your family was good?

yes
he would throw me under the bus

i doubt he would make a call

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Wow, TinySickTears, your boss has some major anger management issues! He did not seem to care that he involved you as witness to his temper tantrum, so it's on him that you have this fact. Do not lie if asked 'who did this.' If lab guy asks, just say "Not me, ask [boss' name] because he knows." This is true, without outright saying that the boss did it. You are simply sending lab guy to ask the boss about it!

Alternately, you could call in sick, lol.
edit on 1/6/2019 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

First, your boss sounds like a problem waiting to happen and a bad person to be around in general.

My advice is this.

When asked, say EXACTLY what you witnessed, without embellishments or exaggerations and remain calm. You have a witness so that helps. Also mention that you tried to fix things but due to the amount of samples with broken tags that it was impossible to fix.

It's not a case of you throwing someone under the bus, it's about you keeping your good reputation and job. He made the mistake, not you.

In my experience, employers appreciate honesty greatly once they see it.

I wish you success in this. (I hate the word luck.)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Then why do you care what happens to them?

F that guy. I imagine he makes not only your job harder than it has to be, but everyone he affiliates with.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

then if your boss " somehow " survives this - you have to resign

in the meantime - go straight to GM and tell him that your boss has just nuked your tracability

how much did that compliance cert cost ???????????????

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Then why do you care what happens to them?

F that guy. I imagine he makes not only your job harder than it has to be, but everyone he affiliates with.

thanks for the replies everyone

i dont know why i care. i have had threads about him before. i basically detest him but he has his moments.

in the end it would be cool if he was gone i just dont want to be involved.

i just try not to rock the boat. i dont like having to go up to the high castle and deal with this stuff.

just about everyone on my side of the foundry has witnessed him have these freak outs.
everyone makes fun if him for it.

he is just oblivious to it
----

new_here, thats a good idea. just route him to the boss.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

then if your boss " somehow " survives this - you have to resign

in the meantime - go straight to GM and tell him that your boss has just nuked your tracability

how much did that compliance cert cost ???????????????

the GM is just so unreasonable.
its weird cause he has fired people over the smallest infraction before but other people get reprimanded time and again.

it is equally possible that nothing happens. lab dude complains and it falls on deaf ears

or as soon as the GM hears it he will be walked out immediately.

it is 50/50

my end goal though is to avoid it all

i dont want to have to tell the lab dude or tell the GM

i just want whatever is going to happen to happen and i will find out later.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Just call the labor board, or what ever it's called where you're from, and say you witnessed someone destroying PPE, and causing tripping hazards out of spite. That'll get the ball rolling.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join