It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building The Wall?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I wonder how many people realize that the border with Mexico is just short of 2000 miles. That a good part of it is private land. That a good part of it would be incredibly difficult to build a wall on because of the terrain. That walls aren't that hard to get over when they can't be manned well along its length. That tunnels go under walls. We already have drug tunnels that go long distances being found. People can climb Everest; they can climb a mere wall. That walls work BOTH ways and those worried about government tyranny may have some difficulty getting OUT lol. Think about the Berlin Wall. Think about the usual government built cost overruns. Only 6% (reportedly) of already existing Wall funding has even been spent. In theory, it sounds good. In practicality, it's very difficult to build and man properly. Drones? Automatic machine guns? Landmines? Robots? People have been getting over walls since walls were created. Breaching walls with explosives. Ropes and ladders. Think castles. I haven't heard too much of this being thought out other than BUILD THE WALL! Having seen some of the prototypes, I have to laugh at how lame they are and how easy they would be to get over if there isn't anyone around. How is this going to work???????

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaxnmarko
I wonder how many people realize that the border with Mexico is just short of 2000 miles. That a good part of it is private land. That a good part of it would be incredibly difficult to build a wall on because of the terrain. That walls aren't that hard to get over when they can't be manned well along its length. That tunnels go under walls. We already have drug tunnels that go long distances being found. People can climb Everest; they can climb a mere wall. That walls work BOTH ways and those worried about government tyranny may have some difficulty getting OUT lol. Think about the Berlin Wall. Think about the usual government built cost overruns. Only 6% (reportedly) of already existing Wall funding has even been spent. In theory, it sounds good. In practicality, it's very difficult to build and man properly. Drones? Automatic machine guns? Landmines? Robots? People have been getting over walls since walls were created. Breaching walls with explosives. Ropes and ladders. Think castles. I haven't heard too much of this being thought out other than BUILD THE WALL! Having seen some of the prototypes, I have to laugh at how lame they are and how easy they would be to get over if there isn't anyone around. How is this going to work???????

The wall or parts of a wall to keep out invaders is what the President is talking about. He and I both know, the real threat is from the invaders coming in by airplane, don't believe, just ask anyone where people from other countries overseas came to America and now have taken over complete neighborhoods.
Yes, the wall is needed in area, but it has to at section and must be manned.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: jaxnmarko

Shhhhh!
You will upset the natives!

A wall built by Trump is like totally impenetrable and 100% effective some of the time.

They can't stop drugs getting into prisons with about 1 mile of perimeter wall to watch, yet they believe that this steel fence (not a wall) will stop drugs/ people entering into the country for over 2000 miles
/

I would like to know from the people most insistent on a fence (not a wall) being built where they are from, and how immigration comming across the southern border is directly affecting them. Not in the abstract, but how it has reduced the quality of their life personally.

I'm sure those Mexicans are such a darn problem in Iowa and Wyoming!

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreSound

The problem is the illegal invaders are voting and swinging elections. That directly affects American citizens and the integrity of our Republic. Then some asshat whines that Hillary won the popular vote because she has 5 million non-citizens voting for her.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I wonder if you actually believe yourself?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

interesting push for it..almost looking like a trojan horse and part of the plan is to keep usa citizens from escaping, for whatever reasons it may be.

Got talk of civil war, ww3, economic crash, climate change and who knows what all else that could happen that would have lot of people thinking of fleeing and seeking refugee asylum to escape the bloodshed and persecution, etc.

Seeing how the war of the future is going to be robotic, drones and how the USA would react to being bomb conventionally is one thing, though if nuked or invaded?

Can see the border wall being a problem, if that was ever to happen and was a reason to flee south.

Though let's talk about resentment and how all those who travel and/or live in Latin America, who fit the wall supporter profile...will be subject to harm and injury, by muggings, rapes, murders, kidnappings...making latin america unsafe for the majority of usa citizensl....

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I think I know where your problem lies. Your not used to a President that is actually taking his oath to protect this country seriously, instead of just playing it lip service like obama or Bush.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Google and Facebook's manipulation of search results and control of information likely had way more impact on Hillary winning the popular vote than illegal immigrants did.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   

That walls work BOTH ways and those worried about government tyranny may have some difficulty getting OUT lol. Think about the Berlin Wall.

The USDA food stamp program would run out of funding in February if the democrats don't concede.
Trump has already started floating the idea of using national emergency resources to distribute food.
That might require a heroic effort to set up an emergency military distribution system which would be similar to feeding West Berlin during the Soviet blockade.
Unlikely but historically stranger things have happened.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Ummm...Great Wall of China...

Built without modern tooling/equipment...built to keep out invading hordes...built in long stretches on mountaneous difficult terrain...

Ground penetrating radar...seismometers...drones...non lethal area denial technologies...infrared detection...
Etc...etc...etc...

What were your talking points again...?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
You're right, just lay a minefield. It'd be cheaper. Periodically lay some new ones.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

"The Great Wall of China" worked. I say we build the same and use the upper concourse as a hiking trail, bike path, etc. It would be an economic boom. Terrain in China where the wall is nearly the same. Check it out by Google Earth Pro.

Its FREE

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

You list assumptions and use them as facts.

We spend 135 billion/year on illegal aliens now.

What we're doing and what has been done on the border is not working.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You list assumptions and use them as facts.

We spend 135 billion/year on illegal aliens now.

What we're doing and what has been done on the border is not working.

Independent source on the $135 billion?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I have a fence so that my neighbors dog doesn’t poop in my yard. I don’t concern myself with why the cur wants to.

Pretty simple

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

Which took the data from the The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR). This is a partisan group with one mission: to severely limit immigration into the United States. Although FAIR maintains a veneer of legitimacy that has allowed its principals to testify in Congress and lobby the federal government, this veneer hides much ugliness.

In its own words:

"As Whites see their power and control over their lives declining, will they simply go quietly into the night? Or will there be an explosion?" — FAIR founder and board member John Tanton, Oct. 10, 1986

“I’ve come to the point of view that for European-American society and culture to persist requires a European-American majority, and a clear one at that.” — John Tanton, letter to eugenicist and ecology professor Garrett Hardin (now deceased), Dec. 10, 1993

“I blame ninety-eight percent of responsibility for this country’s immigration crisis on Ted Kennedy and his political allies, who decided some time back in 1958, earlier perhaps, that immigration was a great way to retaliate against Anglo-Saxon dominance and hubris, and the immigration laws from the 1920s were just this symbol of that, and it’s a form of revengism, or revenge, that these forces continue to push the immigration policy that they know full well are [sic] creating chaos and will continue to create chaos down the line.” — FAIR President Dan Stein, "Oral History of the Federation for American Immigration Reform," interview of Dan Stein by John Tanton, August 1994.

“Do we leave it to individuals to decide that they are the intelligent ones who should have more kids? And more troublesome, what about the less intelligent, who logically should have less? Who is going to break the bad news [to less intelligent individuals], and how will it be implemented?” — John Tanton, letter to eugenicist Robert K. Graham (now deceased), Sept. 18, 1996.

“Immigrants don’t come all church-loving, freedom-loving, God-fearing … Many of them hate America, hate everything that the United States stands for. Talk to some of these Central Americans.” — FAIR President Dan Stein, interviewed by Tucker Carlson, Oct. 2, 1997.

AIR focuses exclusively on immigration issues. Its goal, according to its website, is to set immigration quotas “at the lowest feasible levels” and to prevent all illegal immigration. The group attempts to appear moderate, even though its record is extreme, particularly on racial issues. This strategy has paid off: In August 2009, FAIR President Dan Stein boasted that FAIR leaders had testified before Congress about 100 times.

Tanton, sounding much like the Klan of the 1920s, expressed concerns over the role of the Catholic Church in the United States, a favorite topic of his. He worried that the Church would capitalize on the Catholic faith of Latino immigrants to exert more political influence in the U.S. Specifically, he thought the church would try to subvert the division between church and state and limit abortion and birth control.

Tanton has a lengthy record of friendly correspondence with Holocaust deniers, a former Klan lawyer and leading white nationalist thinkers, including Jared Taylor (who wrote in 2005, “When blacks are left entirely to their own devices, Western civilization — any kind of civilization — disappears”). On another occasion, Tanton wrote a major FAIR funder to suggest she read the work of radical anti-Semitic professor Kevin MacDonald — to “give you a new understanding of the Jewish outlook on life” — and suggested that the entire FAIR board discuss the man’s theories about the Jews. In a letter to FAIR board member Donald Collins, Tanton enthused over the work of John Trevor Sr. — a key architect of the bluntly racist Immigration Act of 1924 and a man who distributed pro-Nazi propaganda and warned shrilly of “diabolical Jewish control” of America — and said it should serve FAIR as “a guidepost to what we must follow again this time.” Tanton has also made several racist comments, telling a reporter in 1997 that unless U.S. borders are sealed, America will be overrun by people “defecating and creating garbage and looking for jobs.”

Source

In 1991 historian Eric Hobsbawm explained the rise of FAIR, US English and English first in the United States in the 1980s as part of a larger political phenomenon of xenophobia that "feeds on hostility towards the new mass migrations".[33]:556 He quoted a Czech historian, "Where old social relations become unstable, amid the rise of general insecurity, belonging to a common language and culture may become the only certainty in society, the only value beyond ambiguity and doubt."[33]:537, 555–56[34]:168

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) currently classifies FAIR as a hate group, citing among other things the organization's anti-Latino and anti-Catholic attitudes, its acceptance of $1.2 million from a racist foundation, the Pioneer Fund, its hiring as key officials men who also joined white supremacist groups, having board members who also write regularly for hate publications, its promotion of racist conspiracy theories, and the white supremacist beliefs of its founder. In 1982, John Tanton wrote "As Whites see their power and control over their lives declining, will they simply go quietly into the night? Or will there be an explosion."[8][61] The SPLC issued an intelligence report in 2007, after which they added FAIR to its list of hate groups.[61]

Source

This charity has received a Moderate Concern Advisory due to an open or pending investigation regarding allegations of possible illegal activity, improper conduct, organizational mismanagement, or other matters of concern. Please note that this investigation has not concluded and that the allegations being investigated have not been confirmed by the U.S. legal system. Charity Navigator aims to provide donors and users with as much information as possible in order to make an informed giving decision. .

Source

Rate Highest Questionablity.

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source.

Source

Fair and balance statistics are not what I would expect from this group.
edit on 5-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

So what do you think the US is spending on illegals per year if you dislike my source?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

So what do you think the US is spending on illegals per year if you dislike my source?

NO idea. But if I were to do the research, I sure would check out my sources. See, when an obviously biased source is used, one with low credibility and a hidden agenda, it is pretty easy to debunk, or at least call claims into question.

Not saying that I agree or disagree with the concept that illegal immigration costs more than the members of the group provide in labor, taxes, etc.. I have seen statistics go both ways.

I just like to check out what I can to understand if a source is credible, rather than accept it at face value. I have see this $135 thrown around a lot, and wanted to dig into it a bit deeper.

GuideStar USA, Inc. is an information service specializing in reporting on U.S. nonprofit companies. [2] In 2016, its database provided information on 2.5 million organizations.[3] GuideStar was one of the first central sources of information on U.S. nonprofits[4] and is the world's largest source of information about nonprofit organizations.[5] GuideStar was founded in Williamsburg, Virginia in September 1994 and received tax-exempt status in 1996,[6] the same year the company began posting nonprofit organizations' financial reports to the World Wide Web.[7] GuideStar also serves to verify that a recipient organization is established and that donated funds go where the donor intended for individuals looking to give in the wake of disasters.[8] In 2013, GuideStar announced major changes to its GuideStar Exchange program, which allows nonprofits to supplement the public information that is available from the IRS.[9] GuideStar Nonprofit Profiles implemented three seals based on the information a nonprofit provides in its profile: Bronze, Silver, and Gold.[10] In 2016, a new seal that allowed nonprofits to share progress and results for their mission, GuideStar Platinum, was introduced.[11]

Wiki

This is what GuideStar has to say about FAIR:

This organization is involved in a nebulous eugenics program targeted against persons of a darker skin color than white. They specifically engage in lobbying activities to generate policies that prohibit families from countries of darker skin color to enter the United States as legal immigrants. Further, the Founder of t... Read more[/ex

GuideStar

Please link to read more.
edit on 5-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: sp

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Obfuscation. The central point is illegals are costing the US tax payer a ton of money and the wall would be a cheap (relative) way of combatting the costs.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join