It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WSJ Editorial Board Slams Trump For ‘Absurd Misstatement Of History’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

perhaps you could show us a history of these Afghani terrorist attacks in Russia that prompted the invasion?

Perhaps you can.

I recall what I heard in the news back then. Yes that the same FAKE news of today. ABC,CBS,NBC. I don't think CNN was invented yet.

So what about a puppet government. Really so what. Puppet governments are in place all over the work. Look at history as it has played out. Russia also went bankrupt. Isn't 911 a direct relation to Afghanistan? If it isnt so whay are we there?

edit on 5-1-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Perhaps you can.

I can't. But I can leave you with this:

War in Afghanistan (1978–present)
The Soviet–Afghan War lasted over nine years, from December 1979 to February 1989. Insurgent groups known collectively as the mujahideen, as well as smaller Maoist groups, fought a guerrilla war against the Soviet Army and the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan government, mostly in the rural countryside. The mujahideen groups were backed primarily by the United States, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan, making it a Cold War proxy war. Between 562,000 and 2,000,000 civilians were killed and millions of Afghans fled the country as refugees, mostly to Pakistan and Iran.

Prior to the arrival of Soviet troops, Afghanistan's communist party took power after a 1978 coup, installing Nur Mohammad Taraki as president. The party initiated a series of radical modernization reforms throughout the country that were deeply unpopular, particularly among the more traditional rural population and the established traditional power structures. The regime's nature of vigorously suppressing opposition, executing thousands of political prisoners and ordering massacres against unarmed civilians, led to the rise of anti-government armed groups, and by April 1979 large parts of the country were in open rebellion....
en.wikipedia.org...–Afghan_War

To declare that "Trumps is correct" in backing Russia's new revised history of their involvement in the Afghani civil war as right, correct and justified, is to say that US was wrong, in error and unjustified in their covert involvement. That's a fine opinion for an individual to take, but not a patriotic stance for the President of the United States to take.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Did you just source a blogger from a website called lipstick alley to "prove" Trump doesn't want to be hard on Russia?

That's as bad as the gateway pundit garbage getting starred and flagged around here.

Further proving my point you buy into dodgy facts just as the right did with Obama.

You choose what you like and accept it on that basis rather than waiting for tangable facts.

Partisanship is one hell of a cold, and you got it bad.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The media slamming something Trump said? This is a new development.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You know, one has to be resourceful here on ATS, because mainstream media is rejected as "Fake News". I diligently search for non CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, (Harvard or Yale) and any other known leftist website.

At least the Lipstick Blog has valid links and sums up the issues non-biased, nicely, I think.

ETA: www.wonkette.com... is one of my favorite websites, right up there with showercapblog.com...

LOL.....

edit on 5-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I can't blame you for avoiding MSM. I can usually read through the spin though. But I'll be honest, I take a lot of these stories with unnamed sources with a grain of salt, not only because of the media's angle in profiting off the situation, but newbies in Trumps admin making connections to make a name for themselves by throwing bones.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

To be fair, the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Reuters...all use unnamed sources.
Richard Nixon was taken down by "unnamed" sources.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

You know, one has to be resourceful here on ATS, because mainstream media is rejected as "Fake News". I diligently search for non CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, (Harvard or Yale) and any other known leftist website.

At least the Lipstick Blog has valid links and sums up the issues non-biased, nicely, I think.

ETA: www.wonkette.com... is one of my favorite websites, right up there with showercapblog.com...

LOL.....

Use whatever site you want. If it’s true it’s true. Dismissing a story or argument because of where it comes from and not on its merits is a massive fallacy.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

The entirety of this administration has reminded me of the emperors new clothes.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

LOL.....

Use whatever site you want. If it’s true it’s true. Dismissing a story or argument because of where it comes from and not on its merits is a massive fallacy.

Okay. I site this post every time some right winger dismisses me and my source because it came from CNN or MSNBC. BOOKMARKED!

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

LOL.....

Okay. I site this post every time some right winger dismisses me and my source because it came from CNN or MSNBC. BOOKMARKED!

As you should. It’s called the genetic fallacy.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I think it's much less about 'taking over the world' and more about expanding influence and global power. Putin wants the power of the American president. He wants Russian military bases across the globe. It's the classic cold-war mindset. America is the super-power. What our president says and does sends shockwaves and ripples across the planet. Putin wants that and he wants the singular power of one-party control of Russia again.

If we delve deep into the conspiracy of Trump being a Russian asset then he's the perfect American president for Putin.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I assume the WSJ Editorial Board were ok with Obama?

edit on 5-1-2019 by AtlasHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

. Putin wants that and he wants the singular power of one-party control of Russia again.

America also has a one party system to, just because Liberals and Republicans pretend to be different in party name are they different from each other's polices? no.

He wants Russian military bases across the globe.

America already has 800+ bases across the globe this excuse and claim that Russia wants bases across is quite the nonsense. America wanted the Russians out of Syria along with their only Naval port in the Mediterranean sea. Americans are cutting off Russians in the Balkans. Turning the region agaisnt them how is that democratic? or acceptably?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Theres an argument for what Trump said.
The Taliban rose out of the civil war there. It was US aid that turned them into the sort of fighting force that led to terror attacks etc. Maybe if the Russians had won, we wouldn't have seen the rise of IS etc.

Hell, the "commie" regime in Afghanistan, where women got an education and had rights, was replaced, after the Russians were forced to give up, by one where women were oppressed and the only law was Sharia, so maybe the Russians were the good guys back then...

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

MSM Mainstream News Media doesn't want the American/World Audience to know that during the Commie/Russia regime in Afghanistan women indeed were given rights even rights to be teachers and be in parliament. While the brave, good guy west sided and armed mujahideen of Afghanistan.

Declared them the brave freedom fighters, examples of western democracy.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The collapse of the Soviet Union was a good thing for the US and for the world. The sacrifice of the Afghani people that might have contributed to cause that made it happen should not be ignored.

Rahmatullah Nabil, the former director of the Afghan spy agency, offered up his own history lesson, complete with a caveat that the U.S. should not “abandon” Afghanistan, as it did after the Cold War.

“Mr Pres @realDonaldTrump let me make a point in a manner that appeals to you. The Soviet Union lost in AFG & US won the Cold War because of the many sacrifices that AFGs made, several million AFGs were killed or injured. The US reaped tremendous economic benefits from winning….” Nabil tweeted.
thinkprogress.org...
edit on 5-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   

The collapse of the Soviet Union was a good thing for the US and for the world. The sacrifice of the Afghani people that might have contributed to cause that made it happen should not be ignored.

I cant argue that the USSR breaking up was anything but a good thing. I don't see Afghanistan as having anything to do with it though.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I cant argue that the USSR breaking up was anything but a good thing. I don't see Afghanistan as having anything to do with it though.

Well, that was Trump's claim...that their invasion into Afghanistan, and nearly 10 year war that ensued, bankrupted the USSR, and now, alas, it's only "Russia".

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join