It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WSJ Editorial Board Slams Trump For ‘Absurd Misstatement Of History’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Carcharadon

I keep asking, what has Trump done that benefitted Putin? Seriously.

Upon winning the nomination, Trump insisted the Republic Party change the official Republican Party Platform to reverse its support for Ukrainian rebels. In Hellsinki, Trump took the world stage to dismiss the US Intelligence community in favor of Putin's strong words. Trump delayed Congressional sanctions against Russia, worked to reverse and/or lift Russian sanctions, and publicly spoke against Russian Sanctions. That's just a little bit of snow cone shavings off the top of the tip of the ice berg of Trump's allence with Putin.

More, for your reading pleasure.

How Trump Helps Putin www.nytimes.com...

Trump is helping Putin with a key goal when he spurns US allies www.cnbc.com...

Mueller’s Latest Indictment Shows Trump Has Helped Putin Cover Up a Crime www.motherjones.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
Source via TPM

I thought this was an interesting bit of news today.

They call Trump’s mockery of other nations who fought alongside American troops in Afghanistan “slander,” noting the number of soldiers who died in the effort from the UK alone.

The board then targets Trump’s support of the Soviet Union’s presence in the country in the ’80s when he said they were “right to be there.”

“Right to be there?” the board writes with indignation. “We cannot recall a more absurd misstatement of history by an American President. The Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan with three divisions in December 1979 to prop up a fellow communist government.”

The President has been having these oddly specific comments that appear to be coming straight from Putin's United Russia party talking-points. He was strangely specific about Belarus, about Montenegro and now this made-up history of the USSR's involvement in Afghanistan. Why would the American president be saying these things?[/quot

Perhaps Trump is a businessman and not a military historian..And when put on the spot he has to quickly dig thru his mind to see if he remembers anything of the topic...One thing he quickly dug up was the invasion of Russia by CIA backed Afghanis...

Mujahedin raid inside Soviet Union In an effort to foment unrest and rebellion by the Islamic populations of the Soviet Union, starting in late 1984 Director of CIA William Casey encouraged Mujahedin militants to mount violent sabotage raids inside the Soviet Union, according Robert Gates, Casey's executive assistant and Mohammed Yousef, the Pakistani ISI brigadier general who was the chief for Afghan operations. The rebels began cross-border raids into the Soviet Union in Spring 1985.[147]

en.wikipedia.org...

And remembering news of those invasions, Trump may have thought it appropriate for Russia (or any Country) to retaliate...

It appears as tho the Afghan gov't in 1979 was friendly with Russia...They had an internal coup that upset the Russian applecart and then Russia went into Afghanistan and eliminated that guy and installed one more attentive to Russia...That new gov't along with the Afghan military were on the side of Russia...

It's easy to see how Trump, on a moments notice could get this history a little mixed up...But he did not like according to the WSJ and every one else who want to make Trump a liar every time he opens his mouth...At worst, Trump mis-spoke...

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Asking that you expand your horizons is a friendly gesture.

Don't do me any favors. Your consistent rejection of information based on the messenger betrays your blind bias.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The problem with Republicans these days is that they can't separate fact from fiction, and Trump makes it worse. They might have some good policies if they grounded themselves in reality.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Remember when the right had all kinds of loose theories that Obama was an undercover Muslim Manchurian candidate?

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Remember that boy who cried "Wolf"? Some say he saw a foreshadow of the future. Alas, the wolf is here!

edit on 4-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Asking that you expand your horizons is a friendly gesture.

Don't do me any favors. Your consistent rejection of information based on the messenger betrays your blind bias.

I'll assume this is simply projection.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Ditto

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

lol! And going on that tear about Montenegro being full of dangerous people, and they will start WWIII? I think Putin is the only other person who claimed they were 'dangerous people".

And then, remember this at their Prime Minister's first meeting?
How could anybody miss that ostentatious pompous peacock strut. LOL! What a buffoon.

That vid didn't work, had to find another one

edit on 1/4/2019 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Remember that boy who cried "Wolf"? Some say he saw a foreshadow of the future. Alas, the wolf is here!

So you're saying Obama is going to become a Muslim in the future?

Lol, sorry I like to play with my food before I eat it.

Both theories are silly. Obama bombed more Islamic countries than Bush and Glenn Greenwald made a hell of a case Trump is harder on Russia than Obama.

Partisans just play different styles of the same book.

edit on 4-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I hear the Russians hacked the colluded influence.

edit on 1 4 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Arnie123

It's related because Trump keeps sending signals that he's been compromised and being used by Putin to forward the Putin agenda, by parroting Putin's talking points. No one but Putin's administration is saying that Russia needed to invade Afghanistan for its national security. This is just one more example of Trump's complicit and compromised position.

Yeah, go ahead and believe that.

The Mujahideen existed before Russia invaded. Fact.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   

a reply to: Arnie123

It's related because Trump keeps sending signals that he's been compromised and being used by Putin to forward the Putin agenda, by parroting Putin's talking points. No one but Putin's administration is saying that Russia needed to invade Afghanistan for its national security. This is just one more example of Trump's complicit and compromised position.

LMFAO!! This is why you people lost. Zero critical thinking skills and only consuming liberal media talking parts.

Congrats on being so dead wrong, foolishness.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Carcharadon
I keep asking, what has Trump done that benefitted Putin? Seriously.

1)Putin’s Goal: Weaken and divide the transatlantic alliance.

Trump undermines US relationships with European allies and calls the US’s commitment to NATO into question.

2)Putin’s Goal: Degrade the European Union and foster pro-Russian political movements.

Trump attacks the EU and actively supports anti-EU, Kremlin-backed parties.

3)Putin’s Goal: Disrupt American leadership and dominance of the global economic order.

Trump is eagerly pushing for an all-out trade war with Europe.

4)Putin’s Goal: Build global resentment and distrust towards the US and stoke anti-Americanism.

America’s closest allies are explicitly suspicious and distrusting of the US because of Trump’s rhetoric and actions.

5)Putin’s Goal: Relieve economic and domestic political pressure from US sanctions on Russia.

Trump tries to roll back, impede, and blunt the impact of sanctions at every step.

6)Putin’s Goal: Legitimize his regime in the eyes of the world.

Trump repeatedly praises and defends Putin, lending the weight of the US presidency providing validation towards Putin’s cause.

7)Putin’s Goal: Revive Russia’s status as a great power and gain international recognition for its illegal seizure of Crimea.

Trump publicly says that Crimea is part of Russia and calls for Russia to be welcomed back into the international community with no concessions.

8)Putin’s Goal: Continue to sow discord in Western democracies and avoid repercussions for interfering in American and European elections.

Trump dismisses Russian interference and has done nothing to prevent future interference, putting him at odds with his own intelligence community.

9)Putin’s Goal: Soften America’s adversarial stance on Russia.

Trump is shifting the Republican Party’s generations-long hawkish views on Russia.

10)Putin’s Goal: Destabilize the US from within.

Trump attacks US institutions while driving divisive politics and eroding democratic norms.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

I don't agree with quite a few of those, but kudos on originality, detail, and commitment.

As far as Russian/Putin angles I think most were in line with reality.

But acting like Trump is complicit is too early to tell and honestly reminiscent of the right's calling Obama a Kenyan Muslim with dodgy "evidence", as I've used as an anology before.

Trumps throwing money and beefing up the military (which I don't think is needed) while trying to leave theaters of war (whole heartedly support).

If you really believe a country with an economy weaker than Texas is capable of taking over the world (which you stopped just sort of saying), a policy of military build up and regrouping would be in your best interest.

Could Trump have sketchy borderline illegal ties to Russia? Maybe, but dirty money or iffy campaign help via social media exploitation or a few conversations doesn't equate to selling the west for a s###ty job.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   

So the fact thats theres trillions in minerals and the the coalition of western Looters, I mean liberators, are there have nothing to do with it?

www.livescience.com...

$1 Trillion Trove of Rare Minerals Revealed Under Afghanistan

In 2006, U.S. researchers flew airborne missions to conduct magnetic, gravity and hyperspectral surveys over Afghanistan. The magnetic surveys probed for iron-bearing minerals up to 6 miles (10 kilometers) below the surface, while the gravity surveys tried to identify sediment-filled basins potentially rich in oil and gas. The hyperspectral survey looked at the spectrum of light reflected off rocks to identify the light signatures unique to each mineral. More than 70 percent of the country was mapped in just two months.

Afghanistan treasure maps In 2010, the USGS data attracted the attention of the U.S. Department of Defense's Task Force for Business and Stability Operations (TFBSO), which is entrusted with rebuilding Afghanistan. The task force valued Afghanistan's mineral resources at $908 billion, while the Afghan government's estimate is $3 trillion.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

So the fact thats theres trillions in minerals and the the coalition of western Looters, I mean liberators, are there have nothing to do with it?

The USSR did not invade Afghanistan, in 1979, to protect Afghanistan from western looters. Russia's original offensive invasion into Afghanistan was political and motivated by anti--communist Muslim fighters, fighting a Afghani civil war against a communist regime. Now, Russia has introduced a resolution that revises the USSR's original intention of the Afghanistan invasion from their motivation to defend a communistic installed government to invading Afghanistan to protect Mother Russia from Afghani terrorists.

I don't care if Russia wants to revise their history in Afghanistan to make them look better in the eyes of their own youth, but I have a problem with President Trump spouting this nonsense as fact to the American people, during a televised cabinet meeting. I can see why Putin would want Americans to believe such nonsense, but I see no reason why Trump would promote such propaganda if he wasn't trying to promote Putin's agenda.

edit on 5-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Trump is harder on Russia than Obama.

No he isn't. Trump's hand was forced by Congress, and Trump was not happy about having to enforce sanctions and expel diplomats.

The president, who seemed to believe that other individual countries would largely equal the United States, was furious that his administration was being portrayed in the media as taking by far the toughest stance on Russia.

His briefers tried to reassure him that the sum total of European expulsions was roughly the same as the U.S. number.

“I don’t care about the total!” the administration official recalled Trump screaming. The official, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Growing angrier, Trump insisted that his aides had misled him about the magnitude of the expulsions. “There were curse words,” the official said, “a lot of curse words.”
www.lipstickalley.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

Trump is correct as far as I am concerned about Russia in the 1980's entry into Afghanistan. Add WSJ to the list of FAKE news? Prop up a fellow Communist Government? So what. USA does it all the time and how does that work out? Just think. If the Russians held on no 911 or 20 trillion in debt? World Peace?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

If Trump was correct about Russia invading Afghanistan in 1979, because of Afghani terrorism in Russia, and not to protect their installed puppet government from anti-communist Muslim fighters, perhaps you could show us a history of these Afghani terrorist attacks in Russia that prompted the invasion?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join