It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Saddam's half-brother captured: Update: Syria Turned Him Over

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Sabawi Ibrahim al-Hasan al-Tikriti was No.36 on the deck of cards has been captured in Iraq. This is a breaking story and few details are available at this time. An official announcement is pending. Sabawi Ibrahim al-Hasan al-Tikriti was apprehended in Syria and turned over in an apparent goodwill gesture. According to reports he was captured in Northern Syria near the Iraqi border. al-Hasan is suspect of financing insurgents after the fall of Saddam Hussein.

Update: Syria Turned Him Over

CAIRO, Egypt - Iraqi officials said Sunday that Syrian authorities captured Saddam Hussein's half-brother in Syria and handed him over to Iraq in an apparent goodwill gesture.

Sabawi Ibrahim al-Hassan, who was also a former adviser suspected of financing insurgents after U.S. troops ousted the former dictator, was captured in Hasakah in northeastern Syria near the Iraqi border, two senior Iraqi officials told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
Syria Hands Saddam's Half-Brother to Iraq

www.news.com.au
A HALF-BROTHER and former adviser to Saddam Hussein has been captured in Iraq, sources in the interim government said today.

Sabawi Ibrahim al-Hasan al-Tikriti was No.36 on the United States military's list of the 55 most wanted people in Iraq.
No other details were provided. An official announcement would be made soon, the sources said.

"Sabawi is captured, he's a big catch," one official in the government said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Everyone of these guys helps, but they need to get the bigger fish to make an appreciable change in the insurgency. I think the Baathist insurgency will perter out pretty soon, but the foreign fighters will fight to the last man. It is interesting to see Syria turning him over and you have to wonder how many Baathist party leaders are hanging out there. The timing of this is interesting as well. Just as Syria is being blamed for suicide bombings that hit Tel Aviv and killed the former Lebanese PM.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 2/27/05 by FredT]

[edit on 27-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I suppose any capture is good news.

But the one thing that troubles me is, we don't get to know what punishment, if any, they receive.

The capture of Saddam was big news, but what has happened since?

He seems to have disappeared from all media coverage.
Strange don't you think?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I suppose any capture is good news.

But the one thing that troubles me is, we don't get to know what punishment, if any, they receive.

Strange don't you think?
Saddams living the good life down in Southern Iraq playing cards with his guards, eating well, generally enjoying the good-life, has a Doctor on call, does not answer the call to prayer gave that away long time ago, while planning his escape possibly by chopper.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Strange don't you think?

Saddam has been in the news, just not on the front page. He has asked to have or I should say his lawyers asked to have his trial moved from Iraq to the US, no doubt in hopes he could save his life

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Saddam has been in the news, just not on the front page. He has asked to have or I should say his lawyers asked to have his trial moved from Iraq to the US, no doubt in hopes he could save his life

Guess he knows he is as guilty as hell then?
But then, we already knew that eh.

Mod edit: fixed quote tag
[edit on 03/12/04 by Bikereddie]

[edit on 27-2-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

CAIRO, Egypt - Iraqi officials said Sunday that Syrian authorities captured Saddam Hussein's half-brother in Syria and handed him over to Iraq in an apparent goodwill gesture.

Sabawi Ibrahim al-Hassan, who was also a former adviser suspected of financing insurgents after U.S. troops ousted the former dictator, was captured in Hasakah in northeastern Syria near the Iraqi border, two senior Iraqi officials told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
Syria Hands Saddam's Half-Brother to Iraq

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Ya got to laugh at the syrian quote of a good will gesture on handing over Saddams half brother.

At least they caught another "most wanted". Lets hope they deal with him in the proper manner eh?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yes the timing is fishy to say the least as Syria has come under increasing criticism and suspicion in regards to recent car bombings then suddenly "lookie what we have here" capture of a wanted member of the regime????? Coincidence? I think not!

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Im sat here waiting for them to say " hey, we got Binladen if ya want him"

Guess im being optomistic or ironic

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Im sat here waiting for them to say " hey, we got Binladen if ya want him"

Guess im being optomistic or ironic

Maybe both. I doubt highly Bin laden is hiding out in Syria. Assads caln, the Alwhaties (spelling) would be the first targeted by Bin Ladens merry band. Plus no good could come from hiding him.

top topics

join