It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The only President I can remember to actually fight to keep his word to his supporters. lol. Character indeed.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Dammit...I was in the midst of typing out a brilliant (of course) comment, and accidentally closed the tab when going back and forth between the op-ed and this.

I will sum it up in bullet form for ease of digestion:
    - The crux of Romney's concerns is that he appreciates the policies of Trump, but despises his public persona and style of communication. I get it, but substance and policy is what should really matter.

- I refuse to believe that polls asking non-US citizens their opinions on Trump's actions in world affairs matter very much in real life, as these citizens are neither experts on foreign polices nor are they unbiased in their views (most are very liberal countries, some are on the negative receiving end of Trump's trade deals, etc.).

- I refuse to accept the premise that we need to be the world's police concerning the types of governments that sovereign nations have, nor that we should be on the hook in any major way if our "allies in Europe are experiencing political upheaval." We have to allow sovereign nations and their citizens to act without dramatic influence from the United States.

- I disagree that it's the president's role "to inspire and unite us" as a core element of the job, but I do agree that he shouldn't actively attempt to divide us, either. But that is a subjective thing and is also secondary to the POTUS' role of advocating for and signing into law policy that builds up our nation rather than tears it down, and also enforce laws already on the books.

- Romney's passive-aggressive ways of calling the president "racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, dishonest [and] destructive" is very telling on what he thinks about POTUS.

- Romney is self aggrandizing both his role and the role that politicians play on the demeanor of the American people. To claim that, "The people of this great land will eschew the politics of anger and fear if they are summoned to the responsibility by leaders in ... government," is rather laughable.

I see this as an introduction as to the type of senator that he plans to be--he will not support the POTUS agenda for the sake of party lines (he claims), and wants to let people know that the POTUS' ethics and morals are not his own.

That's fine and all, but Romney basically just told us that he's going to be a willing participant in the SOP of the entrenched Republican party, which is a body of politicians getting worse and worse at connecting with the bulk of the American people. If that's his goal, that's fine (I'm glad that I have Rand Paul instead), but it makes me glad that he is not President.

Some of this also sounds like he saying, 'Hey, America, if you had voted me into office, you wouldn't be dealing with this right now.'

edit on 2-1-2019 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Remember.....This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

While I do not agree with everything which trump has done, the one thing I do think was in order for some one to do, was to shake up the stale old status qou.

Why do you think that Romney et al. are so concerned about Trump that they feel a need to pen scathing assessments of his presidency and demeanor.

They're not always wrong, but I do see a concerted effort by "the stale old status quo" (i.e.: The Swamp) to assassinate the character of Trump, and therefore to reduce the legitimacy of the job that he is doing where it counts.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Remember.....This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

Jesus, people, barely on Page 2 and DTOM already had to start slapping wrists?

Act like adults who can hold an intelligent discussion before you ruin it for the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

What was Romney recorded on tape as saying.. "Most people are stupid" or something like that? He's an elitist with international skeletons to keep hidden. Don't let his Amish-Mormon background fool you.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

If you want the truth Trump is a much better POTUS than we deserve. His character exceeds that of the nation.

Damn, you're not lying--and that's NOT a good reflection on our nation's citizens.

I do approve of his job in most aspects so far, I just wish that he was more polished in public. But given the choices between the previous POTUS and this one, I take Trump ten times over, because results are what matter, not public perception...at least to a thinking nation.

Take that implication as you will.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Obamacare, single handedly, has broken our country.

That is what is wrong with the country and that alone? wow.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Most people are stupid , there's been a general dumbing down of populations for decades which seems to be bearing fruit, it suits the purpose of the controllers.

I agree with Romney's points his heritage has nothing to do with that , he has as much right to air his views as anyone in a free thinking democracy , enjoy it while it lasts.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

MSM on Romney. Pre-Trump vs Today.
twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
"The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short."

I disagree, its actually the perceived character of a nation which chose Trump as president. The rest of the western world has seen us as ugly Americans long before Trump became president. They consider all of us loud and obnoxious blowhards. Trump epitomizes this stereotype. Trump's character is spot on with the way the rest of the world sees us. His character does not fall short. Previous president's character's fell short of this stereotype.
edit on 2-1-2019 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Here's what President Trump has to say about Mitt Romney this morning:
twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

MSM ?

Daniel John Bongino (born December 4, 1974) is an American conservative commentator, radio show host, author, politician, and former Secret Service agent.
en.wikipedia.org...

His take is hardly surprising given his allegiance to the President.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is coming from the same Mitt Romney that loves big banks and MSM,

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Another explanation is the classic theory that a nation "gets the leaders they deserve", which puts the cause-and-effect the other way round. Then Trump would be the symptom, not the disease; it was the only way of not having Hillary Clinton that could be cobbled together in the time available.

So very true and if the Dems can learn something from it they can probably wn in 2020. I would never again vote for a Repub for POTUS unless the Dems run HRC. I am hoping the Dems can come up with someone sufficiently normal that I can just sit out 2020.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Most people are stupid , there's been a general dumbing down of populations for decades which seems to be bearing fruit, it suits the purpose of the controllers.

I agree with Romney's points his heritage has nothing to do with that , he has as much right to air his views as anyone in a free thinking democracy , enjoy it while it lasts.

Question: this "dumbing down" you refer to....who is responsible for it? Is it outsiders like Trump that control public education? Or is it people affiliated with Democrats and Republicans (or Labor/Torries...or whatever your nation has set up to screw you with)?

So in light of this....

....would we not expect that D/R would be all out against an outsider?
....would allowing them to continue in power and continue dumbing down the populace benefit us?

For the life of me I cannot grasp the dual thinking of people who dislike Trump. There are complaints and acknowledgements of not just shortcomings from the alternative, but also flat out malfeasance. It seems to me that anyone not affiliated with established politics is a better choice. Even a retarded dog.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

this "dumbing down" you refer to....who is responsible for it?

I don't know but Bilderberg , NWO types are high on my list of suspects , not sure it's a party politics thing more a general method of control for those in control.
TV was a wonderful invention.

edit on 2-1-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Read what Charlotte Iserbyte has to say

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join