It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Not my words but those of Mitt Romney in an op-ed for the Washington Post before he's sworn into the U.S. Senate on Thursday , his article is a New Year message that for me , as a bemused outsider looking in , sums up much of what is wrong with the leadership of the current President and the damage being done to America's standing in the world.

The piece is not just critical of the President , Romney gives praise where he thinks it due so please read before the inevitable pitchfork and torches response.

It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination. After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion. His early appointments of Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, Nikki Haley, Gary Cohn, H.R. McMaster, Kelly and Mattis were encouraging. But, on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions this month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office.

It is not that all of the president’s policies have been misguided. He was right to align U.S. corporate taxes with those of global competitors, to strip out excessive regulations, to crack down on China’s unfair trade practices, to reform criminal justice and to appoint conservative judges. These are policies mainstream Republicans have promoted for years. But policies and appointments are only a part of a presidency.

To a great degree, a presidency shapes the public character of the nation. A president should unite us and inspire us to follow “our better angels.” A president should demonstrate the essential qualities of honesty and integrity, and elevate the national discourse with comity and mutual respect. As a nation, we have been blessed with presidents who have called on the greatness of the American spirit. With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring.

The world is also watching. America has long been looked to for leadership. Our economic and military strength was part of that, of course, but our enduring commitment to principled conduct in foreign relations, and to the rights of all people to freedom and equal justice, was even more esteemed. Trump’s words and actions have caused dismay around the world. In a 2016 Pew Research Center poll, 84 percent of people in Germany, Britain, France, Canada and Sweden believed the American president would “do the right thing in world affairs.” One year later, that number had fallen to 16 percent.

To reassume our leadership in world politics, we must repair failings in our politics at home. That project begins, of course, with the highest office once again acting to inspire and unite us. It includes political parties promoting policies that strengthen us rather than promote tribalism by exploiting fear and resentment. Our leaders must defend our vital institutions despite their inevitable failings: a free press, the rule of law, strong churches, and responsible corporations and unions.
www.washingtonpost.com...

I can't link directly to the article but it is on the front page for anyone interested to read.

I would like wish a happy and prosperous New Year to all , regardless of political affiliations.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I can't help but wonder just how much of this is "sour grapes".

While I do not agree with everything which trump has done, the one thing I do think was in order for some one to do, was to shake up the stale old status qou. It would appear, to some one who has the advantage of a long hind site, things had not changed very much in during the past several administrations and the path did not look very favorable to the American working class. I like the idea, if not the manner which it is being done, of putting America first for a change.

For far too long it seems we have been bending over backwards to be the good guy in trade and such, while trying to stab the world in the back and take advantage of the lesser developed countries and their resources. Many would say "this is a part of doing business", but I thing we could get a better deal by being as up front and often as blunt as trump has been with the trade deals he has made.

Of course, all this could go for naught if his efforts are continually under cut by those who dis like him so much they would sink the rest of us with their efforts. I said it when Obama was elected and I will say it again. Any politician who is willing to tear down the country just because they oppose the President, does not deserve to be in office as a representative of the American people.

Saddly, there is not a whole lot which can be done in most of these cases, but I would hope those who put these people in office do not suffer the out come of these politician's efforts before they decide to vote them out of office.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:33 AM
link   

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:38 AM
link   
The world hates Trump because he isn’t giving away free money to everyone anymore
It’s kinda sad when a country has to buy friends

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:43 AM
link   

This actually makes a certain kind of sense.

Looking back.
Bush was an idiot, idiot people elect corrupt scumbag Obama.
Corrupt scumbag Obama pisses people off. Pissed off people elect asshole Trump.
Asshole Trump triggers the snowflakes.
Snowflakes elect... ?

Stay tuned!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Another explanation is the classic theory that a nation "gets the leaders they deserve", which puts the cause-and-effect the other way round. Then Trump would be the symptom, not the disease; it was the only way of not having Hillary Clinton that could be cobbled together in the time available.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Another explanation is the classic theory that a nation "gets the leaders they deserve", which puts the cause-and-effect the other way round. Then Trump would be the symptom, not the disease; it was the only way of not having Hillary Clinton that could be cobbled together in the time available.

I couldn't agree more.
And if you look at the immediate above deflections, it's proof that,
One out of three trump supporters are as stupid as the other two... or at least in order to save face, theyll forgive anything he says or does and quickly turn trump into the victim, the victim of any and all criticism
edit on 2-1-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Yeah cause the "character of the nation" is so respectable and deserves a president of equal stature.

No I think some people think the Presidents job is to make us look good so we hold him to a rediculous standard while we let our Own character go to sh#... Keep making us look good! We dont want anyone to know how badly we've regressed...

Pop culture is a joke. And we don't need a President putting on fake royal airs like Obama. We need someone who can cut through the BS and is willing to do what it takes to get things done.

Seriously this is so stupid. Obama said it would be impossible to fix the economy to the level Trump promised unless he had a magic wand. He did that AND THEN SOME! Oh, but "his character falls short...it doesnt live up to the wonderful character the American people have displayed to the world...so we should just take away his magic wand and send him packing"

Stupidest thing I ever heard... "But, his character..." LoL. If you want the truth Trump is a much better POTUS than we deserve. His character exceeds that of the nation.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Because the Prez is elected he REFLECTS the character of a nation. Because there is so much anger, we have a president who can communicate with anger.

The USA isn't governable by the institutions of a republic anymore. We still have the operational structures, but they haven't been actually governing for some time.

I have wondered if Trump would be the first American Caesar. If he is, it is because he has gained the confidence of the military and police. He certainly hasn't gained the confidence to the Neocon warmongering class.

I think Trump suddenly realized the insanity of the USA's involvement in Syria. Now he is realizing that it isn't easy to extricate himself from the messes he inherited.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   

According to media,he isn't one of their shills,and is exposing their lies and deceit,the media only has one agenda,and it appears it is working from such posts,media is for liberal gay,those with an indentity crisis or of low mental capacity

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Quite honestly I am tired of America trying to play a leadership role in the world, we have crumbling infrastructure, a growing homeless problem and that should be our focus let the rest of the world look after themselves while we try to at least plug the hole in the boat... cause whats the point of trying to lead the world while the boat is sinking.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Says the man who has never been President.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I pretty much agree with Romney. But then, if you didn't know who and what Trump was before all this, you weren't smart enough to be solicited for an opinion. I wish there wasn't all the interruptions in normalcy that we have, but to see the opposition go so far past full retard, it's beyond comical. Open Borders? AYFKM?

In the end, most of the good things Trump has done, will be overshadowed by TDS. I'm just glad that he hasn't publicly advocated breathing. The left would be blue. Literally.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Romney said that, did he? Hmmm, who does he think would be a better president? Did the article say that?

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The President has responded to Romney's criticisms.

Here we go with Mitt Romney, but so fast! Question will be, is he a Flake? I hope not. Would much prefer that Mitt focus on Border Security and so many other things where he can be helpful. I won big, and he didn’t. He should be happy for all Republicans. Be a TEAM player & WIN!
twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

His twitter response just about sums him up, the Pres calling someone a flake, its just so childish and lets not forget he is also in his 70s using buzzwords, only comparable to cringe worthy dancing by Dads at family events.

In all of twitters lifetime has it ever been used for something useful, or is it just somewhere people act like infants.

its a new year lets all try and grow up a little.

But never forget Trump won BIG, does he think we are not aware of this some 2 years later,lol
edit on 2-1-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Like others have said, the president reflects the character of a nation.

Romney is wrong.

And a giant douche.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Mitt Romney pretends to be ignorant so he can soap box.

Donald Trump wasn't elected for his character. Everyone, even his voters, knows hes an asshole. That is why he was elected.

I don't call it character to lie to constituents in order to quell their anger or to get laws passed. Obamacare, single handedly, has broken our country. To great profits for middle men.

I didn't vote for Donald. But I get why people did. He's a big middle finger. He isn't supposed to be loved by folks from the establishment. The more they complain about him, the more it appears he is doing what was expected.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Mitt Romney opines about the days when political correctness and political formality was the going rate. He wants a king, not a leader.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

His twitter response just about sums him up, the Pres calling someone a flake, its just so childish and lets not forget he is also in his 70s using buzzwords, only comparable to cringe worthy dancing by Dads at family events.

In all of twitters lifetime has it ever been used for something useful, or is it just somewhere people act like infants.

its a new year lets all try and grow up a little.

But never forget Trump won BIG, does he think we are not aware of this some 2 years later,lol

Flake. As in Jeff Flake.

Is it your TDS that's preventing you from keeping up?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join