It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's New Pet law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
California just passed a law that" limits pet store sales of cats, dogs and rabbits to rescue or shelter animals only"
www.cnn.com...

Everyone thinks this is great, but I want to share my story.

A few years back my family was in the market for a dog. We had done our research and were ready to commit to a family dog.
We've had pets before and know the cost, time and responsibility.

The first place we thought of was the shelter of course. We visited the one close to us. They had tons and tons of old cats, but only three dog.
The dogs all looked vicious. Not what we were looking for. We were not in a hurry so we waited. We saw a puppy on the Humane society's web page in the city. So we go to visit. They have various dogs, cats and other small animals. I would say 95% of the dogs were pit bull mixes, or dogs were behavioral problems. We did not want a pit, for various reasons, one of which is that our home insurance would go up.

We find the puppy, and are ready to adopt. We are told the puppy was in "hold" and could not be adopted. We quickly figured out that it was a bait and switch type of operation. None of the puppies were for sale. Only the pit bulls and a one problem chow.
We check out another shelter, same type of setup. Lots of pit bulls.
I don't know, maybe we picked the wrong days or something.

My family and I finally said forget it after a two year search. We broke down and went to a breeder and got the healthiest best puppy I could ever imagine.

I'm not for puppy mills or anything like that, but shelters are not the only answer. There are reputable breeders out there. California is taking away that choice from people. My guess is that people will leave the state to get their dogs.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

There are reputable breeders out there. California is taking away that choice from people.

The law does not seem to disallow private purchases from those who breed animals. I guess that means you can still buy from a puppy mill, if you want. But at least you'll know where your pup came from.

edit on 12/31/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I'm not for puppy mills or anything like that, but shelters are not the only answer. There are reputable breeders out there. California is taking away that choice from people. .

not taking choice away at all
you are welcome to visit the breeder and get a dog

most reputable breeders are not selling via pet stores.
hence the puppy mills

this is a good thing

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

www.npr.org...

"California is now the first state to ban pet stores from selling animals from commercial breeders, thanks to a new law signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in October"

"Pet industry and commercial breeders oppose the measure, as does the American Kennel Club. They say the law will make it more difficult for Californians to obtain dogs with the characteristics and traits they want, including breeds that are recommended for health considerations."

I wonder what is considered commercial.. anything in a store? So home breeders can sell?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I've no issue getting shelter/rescue cats, all of mine have either been strays or rescues, n fact. Our last female kitty was a shelter rescue no one wanted because she had serious food behavior problems and a specialized diet. She was an abused, malnourished kitten that took a long time to rehab when they got her, and she was an aggressive food stealer because of her history. She sat at the shelter for 2 years being passed up. We took on the challenge because other than her food issues, she was a good cat that deserved a loving home.

But dogs are a whole different story for me. Under no circumstances will I adopt a purebred rescue WITHOUT a traceable history, nor a mix with a big question mark for it's history. I'd much rather buy from an established breeder where I know exactly what the line's general temperament is, and how long it's been established and what to expect within reason. Canine traits are not door prizes, those animals were bred to have to specific breed traits stand out for a reason, and mixing the wrong ones is a recipe for disaster. Not knowing their life histories can be a ticking time bomb. I will not risk that on a question mark shelter dog, ever.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I wonder what is considered commercial.. anything in a store?
Anyone who sells animals. A private breeder who sells animals is a commercial breeder. If I had a bitch with puppies and I sold those puppies it would be commercial.

Pet stores in California are no longer allowed to resell animals except under certain conditions. Breeders do not meet those conditions.

122354.5. (a) A pet store operator shall not sell a live dog, cat, or rabbit in a pet store unless the dog, cat, or rabbit was obtained from a public animal control agency or shelter, society for the prevention of cruelty to animals shelter, humane society shelter, or rescue group that is in a cooperative agreement with at least one private or public shelter pursuant to Section 31108, 31752, or 31753 of the Food and Agricultural Code.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

bummer

i guess its time to start slinging puggles

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I have a rescue cat, so I know what you mean.
Dogs are different. I'm sure it is possible to get a decent shelter dog in places. It just didn't happen for us.
Also some of the older shelter dogs have been abused and neglected. Unless you really know what you are dealing with that is
not a good fit for a family.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It won't be long before all pets are regulated to the point of where CPS looks like the tooth fairy. There will be animal welfare case officers assigned to you and your pets to ensure you provide it everything necessary for a good life (according to California standards of course).

I can't see this pattern of over regulating everything going over well with the public. At some point they are going to break and it won't be pretty.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
California just passed a law that" limits pet store sales of cats, dogs and rabbits to rescue or shelter animals only"
www.cnn.com...

Everyone thinks this is great, but I want to share my story.

A few years back my family was in the market for a dog. We had done our research and were ready to commit to a family dog.
We've had pets before and know the cost, time and responsibility.

The first place we thought of was the shelter of course. We visited the one close to us. They had tons and tons of old cats, but only three dog.
The dogs all looked vicious. Not what we were looking for. We were not in a hurry so we waited. We saw a puppy on the Humane society's web page in the city. So we go to visit. They have various dogs, cats and other small animals. I would say 95% of the dogs were pit bull mixes, or dogs were behavioral problems. We did not want a pit, for various reasons, one of which is that our home insurance would go up.

We find the puppy, and are ready to adopt. We are told the puppy was in "hold" and could not be adopted. We quickly figured out that it was a bait and switch type of operation. None of the puppies were for sale. Only the pit bulls and a one problem chow.
We check out another shelter, same type of setup. Lots of pit bulls.
I don't know, maybe we picked the wrong days or something.

My family and I finally said forget it after a two year search. We broke down and went to a breeder and got the healthiest best puppy I could ever imagine.

I'm not for puppy mills or anything like that, but shelters are not the only answer. There are reputable breeders out there. California is taking away that choice from people. My guess is that people will leave the state to get their dogs.

So, eventually, everyone in California gets a pit bull?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
It won't be long before all pets are regulated to the point of where CPS looks like the tooth fairy. There will be animal welfare case officers assigned to you and your pets to ensure you provide it everything necessary for a good life (according to California standards of course).

I can't see this pattern of over regulating everything going over well with the public. At some point they are going to break and it won't be pretty.

Yes, this post is about pets, but it is really about so much more.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Once upon a time I had been a humane investigator, and one of the biggest problems with pet shops that I saw anyway, was that they were the only place for the mills to sell their genetically compromised litters, the shops liked a steady cheap supply. I feel that anyone that takes the responsibility for a companion animal should be dealing directly with the breeders. It takes the business away from the mills, as folks that visit the breeder they are buying from can see the condition. Puppy mills had some of the most inhumane conditions that I had ever seen. It's time that we stop looking at animals (certainly the ones we invite into our lives) as a commodity.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

So, eventually, everyone in California gets a pit bull?

Maybe at least in the shelters...........There are always segments of people that don't follow laws.. Like people that breed pits for fights.
My guess is that is why we have so many in our shelters. Think about it, if there are no pet store... where are the dogs going to be coming from?? Illegal breeding ..

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Think about it, if there are no pet store... where are the dogs going to be coming from?? Illegal breeding ..
Animals which stores are allowed to sell or directly from the breeders.
What is an illegal breeder?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Here in California, you can still buy purebred dogs and cats. We just don't sell puppies and Kittens that are bred for stores.

My 80 year old neighbor, just rescued a little dog. She loves this dog to pieces. It was not a puppy, but it is perfect for my neighbor. I think the dog is around 6.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Illegal breeders are the ones that are not classed, licensed nor inspected by the USDA. Many, many puppy mills fall into that category.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

Does than mean that, if my dog was a bitch, I could not sell her pups legally without USDA approval? I would be in violation of federal law?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

It is state based right now

consumer.findlaw.com...
"Regulations governing the purchase of pets typically focus on professional breeders and retail sales at pet shops. However, anyone selling puppies or kittens out of their home also may be subject to such disclosure rules. Depending on your city and/or state of residence, you may need to obtain a breeder's license if you plan to sell even just one puppy or kitten"

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I can’t vouch for the bait and switch but, you’re absolutely right about the majority of dogs at the shelter up for adoption. My local shelters are 85-90% bitbull or pit bull mix. It’s so sad bc like you, and other homeowners, they are not allowed under your coverage.

I’ve rescued 4 dogs over the years and they’ve all been a great additions. However, when my last rescue passed, I knew I wouldn’t find the breed I wanted at a shelter. Not ever lol. So, I had to do the puppy mill route which turned out to be from an Amish community. It wasn’t cheap and I felt awful in doing it but, my girl is the best dog I’ve ever owned.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

If memory serves, a person can sell to the public without a license up to 20 companion animals a year.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join