It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's largest utility provider could face murder charges for wildfires, AG says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

The attorney general's office has not come to a conclusion about PG&E's responsibility for the recent fires and is not taking a position on the issue, the brief states. The brief was filed in response to a request by US District Court Judge William Alsup that officials explain what crimes PG&E might potentially have committed if it were ultimately found responsible for the wildfires. In response to Becerra's court filing, PG&E said it is determined to doing everything it can to reduce wildfire risks.

California's largest utility provider could face murder charges for wildfires, AG says

More strange news. So is there a reason to think Pacific Gas & Electric Co. may have had something to do with the fires? Under this logic the government of CA could be ultimately found responsible for the wildfires. If, you know, like, it turns out they might have potentially committed some wrong doing by passing bad laws.

Pacific Gas & Electric Co., or PG&E, could potentially face a range of criminal offenses if any of the wildfires broke out as a result of the utility failing to properly operate and maintain power lines, per an amicus brief filed in US District Court Friday by California Attorney General Xavier Becerra.

Is there a theory that power lines caused the fires. If so I have not seen anything about it. Anyone know more about this?

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I bet they settle for a few billion in fines for the state to make disappear.

Anybody wanna bet??

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I heard something briefly while the search for survivors was ongoing, but it fell off the radar quick.

Sorry on my phone so don't have a link, I don't even remember the how of the theory.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What about the criminal negligence on behalf of the Sacramento government with regard to clearing up to 100 million dead trees? That legislation was vetoed by Gov. Moonbeam. They left 100 million dead trees to be kindling for one of the worst wildfires in California history, and certainly the worst I've seen in my life.

But let's Erin Brockovich this real quick and pretend you can charge a company with murder.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

So is there a reason to think Pacific Gas & Electric Co. may have had something to do with the fires?

Yes, over multiple years.

Murder? Then PG&E shuts down it's operations. How much will power cost then.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
They won’t shut down, they’ll be fined into bankruptcy, another company will buy the assets and the shareholders will be left with nothing

originally posted by: roadgravel

So is there a reason to think Pacific Gas & Electric Co. may have had something to do with the fires?

Yes, over multiple years.

Murder? Then PG&E shuts down it's operations. How much will power cost then.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

In reality, I doubt it will go that far. They will be protected.
edit on 12/30/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I live very near the area and yes, it was stated that a powerline was the ignition source. Apparently, there were reported issues concerning the specific power line/ tower and it was not immediately acted on by the power company.

I heard it on the radio driving to work some weeks ago.

The utility was responsible for several of last year’s wildfires that burned through Northern California’s wine country. In fact, Cal Fire has determined that of the 21 major fires last fall in Northern California, at least 17 were caused by power lines, poles and other equipment owned by Pacific Gas and Electric Company.
New York Times
www.google.com...

So It sounds like its still under investigation, but there is a high probability, and like I said a major problem was reported and not responded to, just prior.
edit on 30-12-2018 by BlueJacket because: Eta

edit on 30-12-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Murder? Really?

Did they light the fire then?

No more than the arsonist who kills a family.

It was the match that started the fire - sue Blue Diamond Match.

edit on 30-12-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thanks for that info BlueJacket and roadgravel. The CNN report didn't report why the AG issued the brief in the first place. It has not been widely reported that it was power lines that caused the fires AFAIKT.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Its really interesting that all of the utilities bigger investors dumped their stocks after that possibility was made known, driving the stock price into the basement.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I think he will have a hard time making a case for murder. Maybe manslaughter at best.

Hope he doesn't pursue murder charges out of emotion, only to lose the entire case.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

There was an "anomaly" on their lines near the area that the fire is believed to have originated from.

The anomaly could have been the result of the lines starting a fire, it could have been the result of the fire burning the lines but from another ignition source... It's pretty up in the air.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Good to know, thanks

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Why would they face murder chargers when they didn't start the fires?

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Is there a theory that power lines caused the fires. If so I have not seen anything about it. Anyone know more about this?

Well, there was this thread: War waged from space? -CA wildfires, PG&E accepts blame for 2017 fires

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

The AG's brief only say's they would face charges if it turns out it was their fault.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Nice, thanks for the link. Don't know how I missed that! Looks likes some good videos and reading for me tonight.

ETA: I guess PG&E is going away for life

edit on 30-12-2018 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Well, there was this thread: War waged from space? -CA wildfires, PG&E accepts blame for 2017 fires

From the above thread.

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Oh look! PG&E may be to blame for the current fires.
Whoduthunkit?
www.newsweek.com...

That's ok because Jerry Brown just passed a law that PG&E can't go bankrupt. How convenient.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
where is the premeditation? i would think the most they could do is charge them with involuntary manslaughter. but WHO exactly would they charge? after all you can't put a company in prison. it would have to be someone in the company. good luck with that.

this charging people and now companies for these fires needs to stop. where is the government's responsibility in their faulty forest management that has caused the perfect conditions for these fires? just look at that shmuk they fined millions of dollars. fines that of course is impossible for the person to pay. seriously unless you can prove that someone intentionally set a fire it mostly comes down to bad luck. not something anyone should be held responsible for. especially when the government is at far greater fault for providing the perfect conditions for these fires to happen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join