It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil's president-elect plans decree allowing wider gun ownership (more guns less crime?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: ScepticScot

Yes I'm sure.

You should look into their sources and read what they have to say.

Their analysis of papers in journals is political as they tend to rely on David Hemenway's work a little too much:
en.wikipedia.org...

He states that no "credible evidence exists for a general deterrent effect of firearms" since "arming citizens to reduce crime- in the home, in schools, or on the streets- seems likely to increase rather than reduce the level of lethal violence". He also asserts that "the safety of guns is less regulated than virtually any other commodity". Overall, he remarks, "We should no longer accept our high levels of lethal violence as an inevitable by-product of a free American society."[2]

Guns, in general, are among the most well-regulated consumer products there are. This is not a factual statement, it's a political one.

We have just shown such to be the case. What I should have said is no CREDIBLE study has shown this to be the case.

Wasn't really expecting a reply now on this thread.

While you are free of course to have your own opinion on Hemenway it doesn't really invalidate the credibility of his research.

There is also vast amounts research into gun violence and ownership that is completely independent of him.

While I would certainly agree gun ownership isn't the only factor in homicide rates I think it is incredible wishful thinking to believe it isn't a significant contributing factor.

There are valid arguments in favour of having more wide spread private ownership of guns. However its dishonest or naive to believe that there isn't a cost to that as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:41 AM
link   
their leader is also for the destruction and continual deforestation of the rainforest and the continual genocidal acts against the indigenous people there

<< 1   >>

join