It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wall vs Legal Marijuana: One is Pointless, the Other Secures the Border

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

I thought the issue was insurance?

People get hooked on prescribed drugs, lose the insurance that helps pay for them, then can't afford the bills for drugs their body literally needs.

So they buy illegal stuff, stuff cut with fentanyl and the likes.

Maybe I'm wrong?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

Drug trafficking is not as lucrative as human trafficking for the cartels.

Drugs are still a major source of income but they know once their product is used they need to make more. With humans there is an endless source of income and the “product” has a much greater return.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

"Fencing" and a proper wall are two different things, and I think that strategic placement of portions of walls would help create a funnel effect that would allow CBP to better use its human and technological resources.

Of course, the ability to build sophisticated tunnel systems under the border might negate that, but that is a lot of effort and time, and I remain unconvinced that tunnels are an oft-used way to illegally enter out country for the average illegal immigrant.

As for legalizing marijuana--if it were legal, the need to smuggle it in from Mexico would decrease substantially for the average user. If there's no reason to bring it in for huge profits, then those taking the risk to do so would decrease.

That's a rational way to look at it, using the lost art of rum-running and moonshining as solid proof that once a banned (but heavily desired) thing is made legal again, the illegalities associated it peter out. I didn't read the report, admittedly, but from research that I've done previously, it doesn't sound like it's far off.

We haven't had a real attempt at proper border barriers before, though, so using that to say that Trump's wall design wouldn't work is rather flimsy.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

As for legalizing marijuana--if it were legal, the need to smuggle it in from Mexico would decrease substantially for the average user. If there's no reason to bring it in for huge profits, then those taking the risk to do so would decrease.

If it were legal then about 99% of domestic demand would be for choice grades, meaning Mehico's dirt/mediocre grade would be used for pet products (as in FOR pets lol).

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
People don't smoke the garbage from Mexico.

I haven't even seen or heard of any since the 90's.

Meth, coke and heroin are to big problem drugs.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I grew up in SoCal, so it was definitely a thing there back in the late-90s.

We much preferred the stuff from Humboldt county, though.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join