It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wall vs Legal Marijuana: One is Pointless, the Other Secures the Border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Article

According to this report, increased border fencing is not correlated with a decrease in illegal border crossing or drug trafficking across the US border with Mexico. Legalized ganja, on the other hand, is.

It seems to me that if a person was concerned with securing the border, they might take data like this into consideration. I wonder if reason or emotion plays the primary role in this debate.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

It looks to me from the study, that narcotics are taking up the slack for lost cartel income from marijuana and they are smuggling it in from other areas than those with increased border surveillance. This would also correlate with the dramatic rise in opioid addiction over this same time period covered in the study.

But you can present the data to say whatever you want

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I think two things.

1. The report is associated with the Cato institute, which supports the Democratic party.
2. The report is by David Bier, who works for the Niskanen institute, which is pro - immigration.

So I'm reluctant to take the report seriously, given it's written from a clearly non - neutral perspective.
edit on 28-12-2018 by Assemble because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Assemble
I think two things.

1. The report is associated with the Cato institute, which supports the Democratic party.
2. The report is by David Bier, who works for the Niskanen institute, which is pro - immigration.

So I'm reluctant to take the report seriously, given it's written from a clearly non - neutral perspective.

next time, you go to a doctor, please be sure that he is not a democrat, he might will kill you. or you go back to kindergarden.

you kind of this guy right?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I think two things.

It's libertarian, but hey if it aint Your Team then its all That Team, amirong?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

Wow.... that guy is total douche flute.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

t looks to me from the study, that narcotics are taking up the slack for lost cartel income from marijuana and they are smuggling it in from other areas than those with increased border surveillance. This would also correlate with the dramatic rise in opioid addiction over this same time period covered in the study.

Definitely true. The Mexican cartels have marshalled the synthesis of fentanyl (easy to smuggle, because it is so potent in small quantities) as well as methamphetamine -- also incredibly potent, and inexpensive to produce, since they can import large quantities of pseudoephedrine from China, as a chemical precursor.

Opioids and methamphetamine are a greater threat to the fabric and health of American society than immigration, in my opinion. How many Americans died because of illegal immigrants, versus how many die due to narcotics imported from Mexico?

Marijuana legalization is a good thing, of course. But both marijuana and immigration are manageable issues, when it comes to the ruination of American lives, compared to America's love affair with addictive drugs (including alcohol and tobacco of course, but that's not a border issue).

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Get out of here with your logic and good sense! The War on Drugs is obv working.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru
how many die due to narcotics imported from Mexico?

Far less than those who have died from opioids legally prescribed to them by a doctor.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo

I think two things.

next time, you go to a doctor, please be sure that he is not a democrat, he might will kill you. or you go back to kindergarden.

you kind of this guy right?

So your answer to someone pointing out that the "study" was produced by a Democrat to give weight to Democrat rhetoric is too......

Link to a video about a racist being racist?

Are you for real or what?

Basically in your childish 7 year old brain, opposing Democrat ideology is racist.

God I just despise you far left communists more and more every day.

You are scum.
edit on 28-12-2018 by Carcharadon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

? Marijuana seizures decrease since legalization. What does that have to do with a wall? So we grow it domestically now, less is seized. It is legal now. That proves what?

If the problem was marijuana, few would care. The problem is hard drugs and the crime that goes with it.

Not to mention illegal aliens.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

the entire premise of the claim fails because :

cannabis is not the only drug trafficed across borders

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

the entire premise of the claim fails because :

cannabis is not the only drug trafficked across borders

Yea, but a large percentage of the country smokes. Now that the trade is mostly in house, or done within our borders it takes a large revenue stream from the cartels.

A small percentage do hard drugs, many of these big time outfits sell it all, guaranteed revenue with weed since so many use it... but they make huge margins on the hard stuff because people are addicted.

Saying there is no correlation would be like taking the most popular menu item from a restaurant and saying it should have no impact because they have other things. Take beef away from McDonald's and see what happens.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The fact is, most of the Illegals here in the states, did not cross the border in Mexico, nor did the drugs. With that being said, I think Meth, is coming into the States Via Mexico. The drug cartels know how to get the drugs across the border, usually without being caught.

I think, the best way to deter the drugs from coming into the states, is working with Mexican officials, to shut down the sources. These people have built elaborate TUNNELS, and use various ways to get them across the border.

Pot, should be legal. It is here in California. Crime did not go up, nor did traffic accidents, or fatalities.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Compare that to your miles of fence.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

The Cato Institute is a libertarian think tank founded by Charles G. Koch and funded by the Koch brothers. It is headquartered in Washington, D.C. The Institute states that it favors policies "that are consistent with the traditional American principles of limited government, individual liberty, and peace."Jan 26, 2018[quote]

a reply to: Assemble

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I don't leave my doors unlocked at night and I don't invite people I don't know to move in. My door and my gun and my dog keep people out. Its common sense and so many have been blinded to simple logic it's saddening. I would be open to trading citizens with some of these countries if they would be willing to take people as stupid as so many Americans have become.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So instead of securing our borders let’s legalize all the drugs people are trying to bring in?

I’m all for marijuana legalization but I seriously doubt they are bringing that much weed over anymore. You ever had weed from Mexico? That stuff is trash and most the weed in the USA is grown in the USA.

I’m guessing we would see a huge decline in illegal border crossings if we legalized coc aine too, that doesn’t mean it’s a good alternative to border security.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Im for a border wall and fully legal marijuana. Both are logical positions.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I love it when liberals claim walls don't work except every single place they are implemented.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join