It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Monitor Decision

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Looking to upgrade my primary display from my aging AOC 1080p monitor to something more recent and just thought i would see if anybody here had any good recommendations.

Can't really decide whether to go with a 1440 144hz or a 4K 60hz screen. I already have a 55" 60hz LG TV as my secondary display so this is more for the sitting desktop experience, and to play WASD mouse type titles.

Considering purchasing the ASUS MG28UQ as a 4K option but cannot seem to find any 1440 screens that seem to pop out or tickle my fancy. I'm not exactly a competitive gamer so just wondering how much the extra hertz really matter?

My price range is around £400 can anyone recommend anything half decent within or around that amount?

Your thoughts and opinions please if you don't mind me asking.

My specs: Ryzen 1600x 4Ghz, 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz, GTX Palit 1070.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

My understanding was that monitors are best for input lag and refresh rate, but if you're not uber competitive and are looking for size that TV's have closed the gap in recent years and are not a horrible pick.

I haven't done too much PC gaming, so I'll let the resident pro's go over those differences....

how do you like the LG TV? I'm getting a free 4k one with my blackfriday phone.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Refresh rate is going to be a bit subjective. Do you have the ability to check some out in person?

Even without competitive gaming, many prefer higher refresh rates. I'm not so bothered by it, myself. I usually game on my TV though. I also found myself liking curved monitors more than I thought I would, and wouldn't have guessed that without trying 'em out. There are also a lot of features that many will claim are "all important," but many wouldn't benefit much because they can't tell the difference (things like color accuracy, etc.).

Another route to consider is another display device, like VR. When I was looking to upgrade my own monitor, I ended up getting a VR headset instead and am pretty damn happy about that decision. Saved some money and ended up with an experience that is a good amount different than a monitor upgrade.

Like I said though, I was already gaming on my 4k TV and that definitely affected my decision.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

My LG 55" is great for gaming at 60hz. Don't have any problem whatsoever.

Playing anything that requires mouse or keyboard input is a no-no all the same down to the size, hence the reason i require a desktop monitor also. Suppose you could do it with a wireless mouse and keyboard solution, personally, i just don't like that scenario. Great for any game you use a controller with through.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Got the wean a PSVR for Xmas quite impressed with that experience.

Considered getting an Oculus Rift all the same, but i like you already game on my TV, so what im really looking for is to be able to play my WASD FPS and strategy type titles at ether 1440 or 4K resolution at a semi-affordable price.
edit on 26-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
theres not many games you can play at 4k 60 fps and max settings with a 1070

and some are just a waste of money like 4k 144 hz u just wont be hiting 144 at 4k any time soon

m.newegg.com...

thats my sugestion i have one its nice buy a aftermarket stand if you need ajustments

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

BenQ makes some nice dr monitors at pretty reasonable prices. I have had mine 3 years now and it's the best one I have had. Only 27" 1080p made for console games. But the have gaming monitors for pc as well. Fast refresh rates

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Probably upgrade to a GTX 2070 or more lightly a GTX 1080Ti around July.

I get the 4K 144hz is still somewhat of a pipedream. Chances are down to my GPU i will be running games at the 1440 sweet spot even if i go with a 4K 60hz option hence the reason i am also considering a 1440 144hz option.

Thanks for the inputs, appreciated markovian.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Probably upgrade to a GTX 2070 or more lightly a GTX 1080Ti around July.

I get the 4K 144hz is still somewhat of a pipedream. Chances are down to my GPU i will be running games at the 1440 sweet spot even if i go with a 4K 60hz option hence the reason i am also considering a 1440 144hz option.

Thanks for the inputs, appreciated markovian.

Merry Christmas.

thats why i went 1440 144 i figured once i could play 4k 100+ id be in the market for a new monitor anyway
edit on 26-12-2018 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: cognizant420

Got a AOC 1080p 60hz one myself, does the job, but the difference, for me anyway between 1080p/1440 is noticeable.

Just looking for a little better eye candy i suppose. But it seems like it could be time to upgrade.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I had to get a new monitor a while back and asked my daughter what kinds she preferred, I found one of the types at Office Max here, last years display model. Saved quite a bit. This one is way softer so it doesn't hurt my eyes nearly as bad as the ones I had bought before. Great three hundred dollar monitor for eighty bucks. I spend a lot of time researching things on the net, it is hard enough reading scientific medical research articles without having the light hurt your eyes.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I recently got the cheapest 4K 60 hz monitor I could find.
It's a samsung U28E590DS.
No ghosting, 60 hz with AMD freesync, but remember to use display port and not HDMI.
Only a little bit of backlight bleeding with dark screen.
Bet you could get 2 with that budget

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

This is a very circumstantial question. I write software and feel that :
1. Most text looks like # on 4k
2. Adoption of 4k across my industry is slow, to say the least.

I think before we start adopting 4k for basic computing, the industry will need to abandon truetype and raster fonts in favor of vector fonts, which scale very well but are rendered slower as a result.

Now if you intend to watch movies all day from your puter then by all means connect up a sweet uhd tv. For what i do in terms of basic productivity, I run a $120 element 1080p hdmi monitor from walmart.

my monitor

It looks really nice in my office since my desk and chair are mostly white. Picture is great.
edit on 26-12-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You should consider getting blue light filtering glasses (usually yellow) or try switching the monitor to warm tones. I get wicked headaches from too much time on a monitor with cool temp.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

How do you find text at 2K?

I know what you mean about 4K, txt and other apps just don't seem to scale well at all.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

Suppose it's an option Jubei42 or just the one, and maybe spring the additional £100 for an Oculus as I'm digging my kids PSVR and considering the significantly superior hardware of the Rift.

Then again i might get some strange looks from the other half, and some big wean comments ta boot. LoL
edit on 26-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I would recommend the less expensive WMR sets long before an oculus or vive. I haven't tried out the vive pro, but when I compared the rest, the difference just wasn't even remotely large enough to justify the price difference. My opinion, of course! I went into it expecting to get the vive, but it just didn't work out that way.

Overall, the much more expensive units just didn't even come close to resolving the current issues I have with the tech anyway (even though I love it all the same). I suspect ill start seeing those issues fade when we start to see things like 8k res per eye. Certainly not there yet...

Is there any reason you can't play WASD on your TV? I do it all the time, even if I prefer my steam controller overall.

I think your best bet really is to try out as many in person as possible. I was surprised how much I loved the experience of a curved screen when it wasn't even a consideration in the beginning.

Only thing I'd warn against is buying an Acer. I've owned/built systems for others with about half a dozen Acer monitors and every single one failed. Could have just been bad luck, but I avoid them like the plague now.

Another consideration is thin bezels, for the future prospect of multiple monitors.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

"Is there any reason you can't play WASD on your TV? I do it all the time, even if I prefer my steam controller overall."

Just to big 55", imho, don't like the feel of being on the sofa with a wireless mouse and keyboard, prefer the desktop experience for WASD and mouse titles.

Cheers for the input.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I feel ya on that one!

I always use one of those TV trays when I use the KB/M, G13, etc. on the couch.

Good luck

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

theres not many games you can play at 4k 60 fps and max settings with a 1070

Why not ?
@ 1440p they play 4k games rather nicely
If the 4k has been optimized by the game developers
Otherwise , it will choke a Titan

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>