It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US defense intelligence warns of AI-human hybrid soldiers from China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Below is a little about what appears to be a new age of capability in warfare. I would expect that this technology will also be used for civilian use. It is an extreamly interesting time in my opinion and these technologies if used wisely could be a huge first step in human evolution. I personally do not see this as the end of the tech but its first basic initial steps similar to the invention of the wheel. We can look around and see how far the wheel has progressed. I think the development of this tech can be a really good thing once civilization achieves some normal civilian uses and applications for it. Anywhoo its interesting hope yall can disuss and enjoy the new topic.
Cheers!

www.youtube.com...
sociable.co...

Speaking at the Association of the United States Army annual meeting on October 8, 2018 Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) Director Lieutenant General Robert P. Ashley, Jr. said that one of the biggest decisions that the United States military will have to make is how to deal with the “integration of humans and machines” that China is pursuing.
“Another key area,” Ashley continued, “human performance enhancement. So, for China, three phases. It started with the digital age; it’s moving into Artificial Intelligence with neural networks, and then the next step — the integration of humans and machines.

“Cognitive advances not just in how we think, but think about stamina and the individual soldier. The ability to think through problems. Think about the ethical impact of those kinds of technologies and how they would be applied. And how does a democracy view those kinds of technologies? How will Russia and China leverage those, and the hard decisions that we will have to make to keep pace?”

While the US military is concerned about China merging AI with humans, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has already developed a brain-computer interface that can communicate with drone swarms and fighter jets telepathically for US national defense.

“As of today, signals from the brain can be used to command and control … not just one aircraft but three simultaneous types of aircraft,” said Justin Sanchez, Director of the Biological Technologies Office at DARPA, at the Agency’s 60th-anniversary event in Maryland on September 6.

“The signals from those aircraft can be delivered directly back to the brain so that the brain of that user [or pilot] can also perceive the environment. It’s taken a number of years to try and figure this out,” he added.

The weaponization of AI will represent a paradigm shift in the way wars are fought. Since the end of the Second World War, defense systems have been prioritized to deter attacks rather than actually responding to them after the fact.
This has been the model for stability for the past 72 years, but that paradigm is now shifting with the rise of AI and machine learning.

edit on 24-12-2018 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Below is some more information on the current discussion on Chinas development of human hybrids. I think that we are now seeing a new kind of arms race one that may be based on superhuman AI biotechnology and nanotechnology within future humans. I am starting to wonder how far this type of progression will go? Will materials being used change over time? Truly an amazing shift in technology to being more internal rather than external.

This article below was interesting to me because they began to talk about the biotechnology changes that may go hand in hand with AI progression. So supersolders with super bodies brains that are hooked up to technology as well. This stuff is straight out of comics and sci fi. Very interesting stuff!

Defense Intel Chief Worried About Chinese ‘Integration of Human and Machines’
www.defenseone.com...

Chinese efforts to teach machines to think — through emerging technologies like neural nets, a form of artificial intelligence — represent phases of a process that concludes with “the next step, the integration of human and machines,” Ashley said.

The Chinese government is funding academic research into brain-computer interfaces, according to Elsa Kania, a fellow with the Technology and National Security Program at the Center for a New American Security (and occasional Defense One contributor).
“The PLA’s Academy of Military Science has focused on advancing military-civil fusion (or civil-military integration, in brain science research, including to explore options to enhance human capabilities for battlefield perception and decision-making.”

That includes everything from implants that enable human “wetware” (brains) to interact with and share digital information with hardware (computers), to gene-editing through tools like CRISPR. Such work may one day allow China to grow superior troops, or turn regular soldiers into super ones.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Just new tools to make a more advanced soldier. I imagine warfare 100 years from now will look like something out of a dystopian sci-fi show.

But the reality is that invading forces will most likely rely less and less on meat soldiers and more on AI drone swarms and the like.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I am starting to wonder how far this type of progression will go

Im more curious to how far it already apparently IS!

Thats some fascinating information thanks for the thread........

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

They might have the tech to engineer super soldiers but it will still take them 20 years until their 'weapons' aren't just out of control teenagers.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

They might have the tech to engineer super soldiers but it will still take them 20 years until their 'weapons' aren't just out of control teenagers.

Youre supposing they arent already past that stage, most military tech is far farther a head when we hear about it than we suppose....

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Well they may look like kids, and act like kids, however I think further down the line they wont mentally be kids or ignorant of the world. Considering the emergence of powerful AI we may need to consider that teenagers may be hooked up to Chinas version of Skynet or some type of supercomputer. Also I think with the gene editing being done we may have intelligence advancements as well. Eventually i think this will be available to anyone not hooked up to Skynet but some supercomputer cloud that functions worldwide.

I also think of time dialation when I think of si fi artifical intelligence what do I mean by that. . . . . For example scientists have considered creating drugs that make 8 hours seem like 1000 years while the mind is made busy in an AI. This could type of whacky stuff could make your soldiers have alot more thinking time between the seconds.

Anyways heres a link to an article talking about this, nothing new here:
socialunderground.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Youre supposing they arent already past that stage, most military tech is far farther a head when we hear about it than we suppose....

The mapping of the human genome was only completed in 2003 (a bigger job than a secret military project could ever encompass) and actually doing some engineering work could only happen decades after that.

Only this year has a Chinese scientist claimed to have genetically engineered a human being. All previous claims have been debunked.

So, I don't think that the military has any particular advantage in genetic science.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Well they may look like kids, and act like kids, however I think further down the line they wont mentally be kids or ignorant of the world. Considering the emergence of powerful AI we may need to consider that teenager may be hooked up to Chinas version of Skynet or some type of supercomputer. Also I think with the gene editing being done we may have intelligence advancements as well.

I also think of time dialation when I think of si fi artifical intelligence what do I mean by that. . . . . For example scientists have considered creating drugs that make 8 hours seem like 1000 years while the mind is made busy in an AI. This could type of whacky stuff could make your soldiers have alot more thinking time between the seconds.

socialunderground.com...

There are bio-physical reasons that we can't carry larger brains or just 'think faster'.

So any intelligence enhancement would either have to be due to a re-purposing of mental functions, or linkage to external AI (as the article suggests).

There has been a long and so far largely futile attempt to create neural interfaces that are neither toxic, or that the body does not reject and destroy. Until such interfaces exist, any technology dependent upon them cannot exist.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure a couple of shots in the right place will stop an AI hybrid. I am more worried about them giving their soldiers zombie drugs because the zombies are hard to kill but luckily do not move so fast with their almost rigamortis condition. They use that in some old cultures around the world for some ceremonial things. I watched some editorials on the phenomenon.. One was on a Harvard class, pretty scary stuff there.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Well they may look like kids, and act like kids, however I think further down the line they wont mentally be kids or ignorant of the world. Considering the emergence of powerful AI we may need to consider that teenager may be hooked up to Chinas version of Skynet or some type of supercomputer. Also I think with the gene editing being done we may have intelligence advancements as well.

socialunderground.com...

There are bio-physical reasons that we can't carry larger brains or just 'think faster'.

So any intelligence enhancement would either have to be due to a re-purposing of mental functions, or linkage to external AI (as the article suggests).

There has been a long and so far largely futile attempt to create neural interfaces that are neither toxic, or that the body does not reject and destroy. Until such interfaces exist, any technology dependent upon them cannot exist.

In the OP I cut out part of the article where they are saying Darpa already has these capabilities. Meaning they already have a two way connection directly into the brain and have achieved telepathy so soldiers can see what 3 different drones are seeing in their own brains. They said it has taken them years but have achieved it. I do understand what your saying, however they have said they have achieved soldier drone/machine telepathy.

Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has already developed a brain-computer interface that can communicate with drone swarms and fighter jets telepathically for US national defense.

“As of today, signals from the brain can be used to command and control … not just one aircraft but three simultaneous types of aircraft,” said Justin Sanchez, Director of the Biological Technologies Office at DARPA, at the Agency’s 60th-anniversary event in Maryland on September 6.

“The signals from those aircraft can be delivered directly back to the brain so that the brain of that user [or pilot] can also perceive the environment. It’s taken a number of years to try and figure this out,” he added.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

While the US military is concerned about China merging AI with humans, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has already developed a brain-computer interface that can communicate with drone swarms and fighter jets telepathically for US national defense.

Ehh no. That's not telepathy. Telepathy doesn't need tech and works on a quantum plain. That's just translating your intentions into binary code and sending via digital signal.

IMO the threat is the AI alone not it's integration. I still remember how AI in "The 100" launched all nukes on Earth because it decided that reducing the population would be the best to make everyone happy.
edit on 24-12-2018 by KiwiNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

That's a fascinating find. Thanks!

The Chinese are going to be the new big bully on the block before long and just at the same time as Western Civilization is fading into the ash bin of history.

I wish I liked Chinese food more.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

socialunderground.com...

There are some smart gene therapies scientists have used in mice as well as a host of other modifications. I think this is just the begining baby steps if they are doing it in public then they must be dong alot more in private. The US is publicly saying they are worried about hyrid AI super soldiers in China, so I am wondering how far it goes? How super? Also what comes next. Are world powers going to begin an AI hybrid supersoldier arms race amongst governments?

Here is some interesting super augmentation stuff below they did on mice so I would expect all of this and much more probably times 50 or times 100.

Can You Genetically Enhance Yourself

Making Smart Mice
www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Here is the Center For New American Century having a discussion on Chinas AI and hybrid soldiers. Its a very interesting watch and they cover alot of important points. However they do not mention where we are in terms of any of our own abilities or technologies. They conver alot of bases and I should have put it in the OP oh well.

PLA (Peoples Liberation Army) Human-Machine Integration Ms. Elsa Kania, Adjunct Fellow, Center for New American Security (CNAS), Washington, D.C.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: KiwiNite

It's two-way, numb nuts.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: KiwiNite

Telepathy works on a Quantum Plane? you lost me when you then said binary code.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Lance Armstrong enhanced himself by what is called doping...more stamina more efficient use of oxygen.. no A.I. needed.

I figure if Iran can hack and capture one of our drones then surely America can hack anything the Chinese or anyone else comes up with to turn their weapons upon themselves... can you imagine what chaos that would cause in a so called A.I. Army !

I do have a very heart felt desire to stay away from any first world conflict as my guess is the war will be very very bad even if nukes are not used.

In every century starting back as far as you can read there have been wars on a grand scale... this is the 21st century and it would appear TPTB are getting their pieces in place for another waste of human life.. Kinda sucks IMO..

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Woah, hubba hubba, didn't realize how attractive Elsa Kania was.

Gonna have to join CNAS, for the view.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Below is some more information on the current discussion on Chinas development of human hybrids. I think that we are now seeing a new kind of arms race one that may be based on superhuman AI biotechnology and nanotechnology within future humans. I am starting to wonder how far this type of progression will go? Will materials being used change over time? Truly an amazing shift in technology to being more internal rather than external.

This article below was interesting to me because they began to talk about the biotechnology changes that may go hand in hand with AI progression. So supersolders with super bodies brains that are hooked up to technology as well. This stuff is straight out of comics and sci fi. Very interesting stuff!

Defense Intel Chief Worried About Chinese ‘Integration of Human and Machines’
www.defenseone.com...

Chinese efforts to teach machines to think — through emerging technologies like neural nets, a form of artificial intelligence — represent phases of a process that concludes with “the next step, the integration of human and machines,” Ashley said.

The Chinese government is funding academic research into brain-computer interfaces, according to Elsa Kania, a fellow with the Technology and National Security Program at the Center for a New American Security (and occasional Defense One contributor).
“The PLA’s Academy of Military Science has focused on advancing military-civil fusion (or civil-military integration, in brain science research, including to explore options to enhance human capabilities for battlefield perception and decision-making.”

That includes everything from implants that enable human “wetware” (brains) to interact with and share digital information with hardware (computers), to gene-editing through tools like CRISPR. Such work may one day allow China to grow superior troops, or turn regular soldiers into super ones.

Canada is 150 years ahead of the USA and China...and have been since the 40s.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join