It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driving stories, love it or loathe it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
No neck issues I'm aware of.
Just moving my head too fast in any direction. I stopped myself driving when I had an episode turning round to reverse. Slammed on the brake but effectively blind and deaf for a couple of seconds.
3rd brain scan in the new year, thankfully my taxes have paid for everything so even though I've missed loads of work I'm not worrying about medical bills as well.
See what happens when they do the moving head around thing again as well lol
...no way am I driving until it is fixed though!

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I took a class from the dept. of transportation teaching precision driving for film production.

All the traffic in TV and film is scripted, programmed, and driven by trained professionals. I love it!! and it pays much better than just being a background extra and if you use your own car, extra $$$ but usually it's a leased "picture car"

some of my work here in a picture car while my GF drives my T100 PU

edit on 23-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

btw...this scene was shot on a constructed set in Albq. NM
edit on 23-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Yes everything is walking distance for me, even the hospital, but it's nice to have a lift off a mate.
If you ever visit the UK shout for sure! There is a potential UK hookup at a festival with music and stuff in summer next year, I'm definitely going, gonna meet at least one ATS member haha, only £20 for two nights camping and music.
...I still wonder at the distances you will think meh about driving though lol, prob because Britain is so small and densly populated compared.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Haha cool as man!!!
I'm watching now, that is an ace job!

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Going bed, been awake a day and a half lol if not more!
Any driving stories please do share though, I love catching up in the morning after the US has woken up.
...got last minute shopping to do tomorrow, need to get my head sorted into it.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I actually visit the UK frequently, but unfortunately most of my time is spent at Heathrow, or businesses close by.

Sadly though, I may not be traveling for a while due to some kind of a heart condition I've developed. I need to step out of the fast lane for a while and just relax, hence my envy.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
There is a train station within walking distance of the festival, cheap cab ride at worst, have a think.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
No neck issues I'm aware of.
Just moving my head too fast in any direction. I stopped myself driving when I had an episode turning round to reverse. Slammed on the brake but effectively blind and deaf for a couple of seconds.
3rd brain scan in the new year, thankfully my taxes have paid for everything so even though I've missed loads of work I'm not worrying about medical bills as well.
See what happens when they do the moving head around thing again as well lol
...no way am I driving until it is fixed though!

Are they looking for a thickening of the arteries that causes circulation restriction when you turn your head. They can take blood out of a person and they go into a coma...something to do with a protective measure built into us. We are like robots made from self replicating nano-bots, a few stem cells form our whole bodies and usually put everything in the right place.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I don't know mate, I was traumatised when they did the moving my head about thing last week, I'll wait until the new year enjoy crimbo just not driving.
Got a taxi booked Christmas day gonna cost like a million bucks lol

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Love driving and always have. Been at it over 50 years now. Nothing better than a road trip. One year I actually drove more miles in the UK than the US. The FIRST time was scary as hell. I kept hitting the left hand curb (kerb!) Found a guy at the British museum who told me to pretend I had an outrigger on the left of the car. That worked and by the time i left (after kissing the ground at the rental agency) I had learned how to navigate. The SECOND time I found my body had retained the ability to physically drive on the left without issue, but I had to concentrate on things like roundabouts and exits, which lane to turn into on a left turn. It was quite an adventure. I'm a stick shift guy, but in the UK I had an auto. I can't imagine shifting with my left hand and paying attention to all the left hand stuff you have to do. I'll tell you,though. You have NEVER LIVED until you have driven through the triple roundabout in Portsmouth that has buildings in the middle of the circles! My God! Lord have mercy! Roundabouts (called "traffic circles" here) are getting a lot more popular. They are retrofitting old intersections and all new ones have them. I commuted 25 miles one way for 30 years and loved every minute of it.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Cool story man

...search the magic roundabout swindon, I've driven it once it is crazy!

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I travel 25 miles, 5 days a week, to the place of business that has the products I load into my car to deliver to various locations in the Phx. Az. Metropolitan area. The trip down to Phx. is all highway. Traffic is typically light on this trip that is roughly 100 miles.

There is a 6 mile section of this freeway, however, that is a 6% grade downhill going to Phx., and then a 6% grade going up as I go back home when my drops in the "big city" are done. This grade is also where the turns in the road are at their most treacherous. This stretch of highway is where you can really see that they blasted their way through mountains to build this highway. This stretch of highway will test your driving skills like no other. You can really tell by the crumpled steel guardrails on the sides and the skid marks leading up to them. ADOT stays busy up there with repairs.

I put, on average, 325 miles a day on my car. 100 getting down to the city, 100 coming back home, and over 100 in the city dealing with those freeways and the unique travel conditions that only a metro area of roughly 4 million people can offer you during the evening rush hour.

I have this route for a year now and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

I love, I repeat, LOVE, to drive.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple
What is the highway that is dangerous? Can I see it on google earth?
I used to love mountain roads, we have some cool single lane roads here in the UK, brilliant to drive.
325 miles a day is lots of driving, good job you like it so much, that would maybe be too much for me.
Thanks for the reply

<< 1   >>

join