It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interlochen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I arrived in Zurich, it was mid afternoon. It was a hustle and bustle getting my bags. The lost my skis. They lost my boots even.

The bus to Interlochen stopped every 20-30km to show us something. I didn't care. I got to Interlochen and checked into the hotel. It was nice. The bed was so comfortable I just wanted to sleep. But there were things to do. Many things. I was hungry, so I was waiting for someplace to eat. The drug us around to some traditonal places, smoky buildings where they were making cheese and spirits. We got some tastes, but boy, then I was REALLY hungry. When it was all said and done, we were free.

There was no place to eat. it was after 6pm and everything had long closed. I was starving. Then it was time to go...

There was the bus ride to the tram, and the tram ride to the top of the tram, and then the snow-cat ride to the top of the mountain. It was a big affair; they had fondue, traditional Swiss fondue...complete with bread, hot cheese heavily steeped in Kirsch. In the tiny mountain chalet we gorged ourselves with fondue and shots of Kirsch. (Kirsch is some powerful stuff if you've never had the real stuff, and I hadn't).

In short order I got pretty hammered on the shots of Kirsch, and the fondue laden with cheese and Kirsch. Then it was time to go down the mountain. I was ready to hop into the snow-cat when someone handed me this thing called a "sledge". A sledge is this tiny sled you steer with your feet. That night we would go all the way down the mountain on sledges, through the trees, not knowing where we were going. It was insane. I was far too old for this, but it was a hell of a lot of fun...three sheets to the wind. Down the side of a Swiss mountain, in the dark, at speeds I don't even want to think about.

We "sledged" all the way down into town below, about 12 miles. We hiked through the town after midnight, and found some buses waiting to take us back to the hotel. There was just no describing how hungry I was, but there was nothing open, and nothing to eat.

When we arrived back in Interlochen a buddy of mine had the bright idea to go to a bar (I agreed thinking there might be FOOD). The bars were locked out, but we found one to let us in. We drank. I don't know what time we left, but it was late/early.

The next thing I knew my buddy was shaking me to get up. He told me my room door was open. It was 5am. I don't think I slept, and boy was I HUNGRY!!

We hurried to the train and took it to Junfraujoch, the cog train to the base of the Eiger. This is where we were going to ski...what I'd come there to do. I was delerious from not eating anything of substance for 3 days, but skiing was my thing and nothing else mattered. We were there!

I almost skied off a cliff that day (they don't mark the trails there), but it was awesome overall.

And...when we finally made it back down into town...all the damn restaurants were closed again!! I simply couldn't go on without food after all that.

We begged the hotel manager to give us some food in the hotel restaurant. They gave us what they said was a "full dinner"...some cold cuts and crackers. They had wine too, if we wanted any.

The next morning I stumbled to the bus, slept, and then stumbled through the airport to the plane. It was a long, long, ride home on SwissAir.

I don't even think I remember Chicago, connecting. When I got back to Denver I ordered (4) bowls of spaghetti and meatballs at the first place I found. They actually had the nerve to ask me if I wanted them all at once, or one at a time!! I think I ate two bowls at once, and "forked' anyone who got near my other two bowls!

So, that's fine dining in...Interlochen, Switzerland.
edit on 12/22/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Had you included a blurb about your "Swiss Goat Fur Lined boots", I'd swear you were J. Peterman...

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
To this day I still wonder if they actually eat 'dinner' in Interlochen.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
we spent a few days in laurderbruden a few years ago. the food is awful. and, so few restaurants - what's up with that?

we'd love to go back in winter! we live in Denver, hubby is skiing Maryjane as I type. but, the flight.. so damn long.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

They have snow????

I haven't skied in 20 years now. Sad about that. I loved skiing, but my knees, back...and wallet can't handle it anymore.

top topics

join