It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evian water conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I read recently that when Evian came out with water, they chose the name because backwards it spells Naive....as in people are naive to buy water. I think anyone that would drink tap water is naive. But, I do find it sad that we have to buy water, because we don't have access to free water that is safe.

Anyway, just hearing this about Evian makes me want to stay clear of their product. There's plenty of other water companies out there....

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
U cant truly believe this can you? product are named to try and sell the product only...not to mock the consumers...i do agree that it is rediculous that we have to pay as much as we do for bottled water though....thats not cool

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I avoid buying water whenever possible, and some brands are avoided more than others. Evian is one of those, but only because of the price.
It's ridiculous.
*shakes head*

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The higher the PPM's on the water bottle the grosser I find it personally.
And some water companies are crooks period.

I avoid Ice Mountain like the plague. Where they say they get their water from and where they actually get it are two totally different things.

I'm not sure what to think of Dasani because that is made my coke cola, so they could be shysting aswell.

I like Aquafina they've been out on the market the longest I believe.
I'll only buy water if we're out and about we have reverse osmosis here, and the fridge filter acts as a double filter so all is well in this home. But I find it discusting that B drinks tap water... If you took your pipes apart you'd probably gag right there on the spot.

Tap water also has a a funky smell to it, you can taste the chlorine or chemicals they use in it, it's just not a great experience all around.

Learn about water and the ppm's , it's an interesting subject.

and whatever you do don't drink lake water. When I used to row I took my empty water bottle and filled it up with lake water. A few days later I got mono. I was too trusting back then, sick sick sick.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!
Now you're gonna get it! At last I have found an outlet for the $30,000 I spent studying Environmental Science!

Tap water is probably fine. If you have worries, run it through a charcoal filter (such as a Britta pitcher). Depends on your area and supply.

Now. Here in the Great Lakes region of the US (these lakes are like 1/5 of the entire planets fresh water supply), we're good to go - plenty of fresh water. Except for the dredge piles that were scooped up and simply parked in the Lakes. And the airborn pollution (lots o'industry here) that evaporates and goes into the Lakes. And the "runoff". And the nuclear power plants that have spent rods not 100 meters from the fresh water supply..........

But. The Great Lakes are still tops (for the most part) in Fresh Water, and Everybody would like a little sip. Population centers that are building up (such as Milwaukee, Wisconsin's burgeoning suburbs) all want IN: they want to tie into the municipalities that have access. Far away, in the plains of South Dakota and further on (the "Great Plains") people are hurting for water because they used theirs to irrigate farms.....(the underground water supply here, the 'aquifer' is nearly depleted)....and now they want ours.
Places as far away as California have expressed interest in The Great Lakes; they are looking at us thirstily...............it cannot be done; it is not selfish, there is simply not enough: these folks hook in, the Lakes will be GONE.............

Why I bring this up (hey, gotta use that education I blew money on, right?) is because I read numerous articles about how (beside the aforementioned locales) Bottled Water Companies want to access the Great Lakes too!
They want this very badly, it was fought through the courts. We said "no". And these were water brands you'd see at the store - if I could cite names here, I would - but I'd need my references in front of me (too lazy to look on net - you do it!) I am telling you, these "spa waters" want in on the Great Lakes! So if this would occur (not!) all you'd be getting is the same tap water we drink in Chicago. (Although we are said to have very GOOD water) --- but keep in mind this is lake water full of industrial waste, sewage, acid rain, etc etc.......and MAYBE they would filter it a few extra times. Worth paying for? In my opinion, NO. Drink what you have, run it through a filter yourself.
When you buy bottled water, you are (IMO-as a scientist) paying for nothing but one filter cycle and fancy packaging.

In Dubai, they drink de-salinated ocean water. It is a wealthy country, they can afford it. Desalinization MUST be the wave of the future, because fresh water is RUNNING OUT. The next big war will be fought over water. This is not an original thought, on my part. I see it already happening, with the whole of the US wanting to get their hands on the Great Lakes. Bottled water? ANY water is good! The bottles are just packaging and sales........

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Niki]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Lol...Walmart has something called "drinking" water- generic. I'm told thats water right out of the tap onlymost people dont know it and they buy it cause its cheap.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Ice Mountain is clean and low ppm (not!) they are selling it at my local dollar tree...

Here are some things found it Drinking Water[/B]

[I]The sources of drinking water (both tap water and bottled water)
include rivers, lakes, streams, ponds, reservoirs, springs, and wells. As
water travels over the surface of the land or through the ground, it
dissolves naturally occurring minerals and radioactive material, and
can pick up substances resulting from the presence of animals or from
human activity. Contaminants that may be present in source water
include:

• Microbial contaminants, such as viruses and bacteria, which may
come from sewage treatment plants, septic systems, agricultural
livestock operations, and wildlife.

• Inorganic contaminants, such as salts and metals, which can be
naturally occurring or result from urban storm water runoff, industrial or
domestic wastewater discharges, oil and gas production or farming.

• Pesticides and herbicides, which may come from a variety of sources
such as agriculture, urban storm water runoff, and residential uses.

• Organic chemical contaminants, including synthetic and volatile
organics, which are by-products of industrial processes and petroleum
production, and can also come from gas stations, urban storm water
runoff and septic systems.

• Radioactive contaminants, which are naturally occurring or the result
of oil and gas production.[/I]

If your home has a lead service line or piping that has lead
soldered joints, you can take the following precautions to minimize
your exposure to lead that may have leached into your drinking
water from your pipes:
• Run your water for 30 to 60 seconds or until it feels colder any time
your water has not been used for more than 6 hours.
• Always use cold water for drinking, cooking, or making baby
formula.
• Use faucets and plumbing material that are either lead free or will
not leach unsafe levels of lead into your water.
Health Effects:
Infants and children who drink water containing lead in excess of
the action level could experience delays in their physical or mental
development. Children could show slight deficits in attention span
and learning disabilities. Adults who drink this water over many
years could develop kidney problems or high blood pressure.

Go to your local government website or google in your hometown or major city of which you get your water from and type in Water Quality Report.

source: This was a pdf file from the city of detroit.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Drinking tap water is fine, :w: if you live near a mountain stream drink that, if not tap water is good.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The name was not given to the water to mock up the consumers.
Evian doesnt exist because the water...Evian is a french city that exist for centuries.
You can read about it here.
fotw.fivestarflags.com...

Btw, Evian is the only brand of water i drink(actually its the only liquid apart milk i drink, normally)....is so far the best water out there (from those i tried).....
If you say all water is the same your are wrong, and if you insist that water has no taste...its even worst.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i have found this discussion amuseing. i certainly have heard plenty of stories of bottled water not being from fresh springs ect. and have too agree the price charged is ridiculass.

i go to a camping event that has poor water quality. we used to buy water as the onsite water has possibly (never confirned mind you) caused some people to become sick. as you can imagine it was quite expensive to do. one summer someone from a military backgroud i belive, started to use a filtration systom. this has caught on in a big way. since then those who filter it have no problems, and its much much cheeper. personaly it is some of the better water i have had.

i don't drink water for the most part (say mabe 4 liters a year), as i find the taste of water disgusting unless extreemly cold. generaly i just drink coke. milk would be nice but it is just too expensive for me.so i only treat myself to it occasionaly.

new topics

top topics

join