It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool before and after pictures slideshow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I thought this was cool.
Sea level rise scenarios and what different cities around the world might look like when the ocean takes back the land

The headline reads "disturbing" but I am not disturbed by this at all. Just the natural of things to come.

What the world might look like in 2100

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
All hail, Al Gore! Good for a chuckle...

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I know this is worst case scenario, but I would be upset. Lots of history lost. Lots of lives affected.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

MSN trash tears. More climate change BS. Got a breaking news flash...the climate is going to change again this Spring.

edit on 20-12-2018 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It's just cool pictures

Look, I work in one of the major cities like a lot people do. This entire city is built on landfill. I've worked here all of my life and over the years the flooding just gets worse and worse... to a point where the last set of storms we had that caused flooding shut down a big portion of the city, including the area around my building where I work. I say big deal. Some people believe the hype and others don't, who cares. I see it with my own two eyes. These days when a lot of rain is predicted I just work from home. History lost? Our history is already being lost and/or wiped away.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Just think of all the new beach front property! Go ahead and pre-purchase some if you really believe it in.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Pretty sure that over the next 80 years, if sea levels do continue to rise, that people will do something about it.....and not just sit there and let themselves be flooded.

They have these nifty things called Dikes and Levees.

Places like the Netherlands have been using them since the Middle Ages.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Inundation is not the only problem associated with sea level rise.
www.epa.gov...

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Pretty sure that over the next 80 years, if sea levels do continue to rise, that people will do something about it.....and not just sit there and let themselves be flooded.

They have these nifty things called Dikes and Levees.

Places like the Netherlands have been using them since the Middle Ages.

They also have cool things called U-haul trucks. Plenty of time to move in 80 years and plenty of land in the fly-over states

Note to New Orleans: Never build a city below sea level!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Cool.

That's what Desalination plants are for.

Again: 80 years to get ready for it. Was going to possibly happen with or without human help at some point on our ever changing world we live on.

Adapt and survive. Or don't and don't.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Yes. Climate change and rising sea levels are going to prove to be very costly. Monetarily and otherwise.

Adaptation, yes. How fast?

edit on 12/20/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Isn't that weather? Not Climate change?

But you are right, the climate will change, so why not predict how it will change and combat the change to ensure our descendants aren't going to be blind sided by some sort of event. Might as well prepare for it.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

MSN trash tears. More climate change BS. Got a breaking news flash...the climate is going to change again this Spring.

Just so you know, the Earth has been proven not to be flat:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: whywhynot

Just so you know, the Earth has been proven not to be flat:

How do you like my chart?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Isn't that weather? Not Climate change?

But you are right, the climate will change, so why not predict how it will change and combat the change to ensure our descendants aren't going to be blind sided by some sort of event. Might as well prepare for it.

The answer to your question is that the US is doing more than Russia and China, even with our combined efforts there is no proof that we puny humans could combat it in a meaningful way, and finally the economic cost would be unacceptable.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

It's not about combating it to stop it, it's combating it to cope with it and deal with it.

When I first heard about climate change I was in grade 10 science class, the Kyoto protocol wasn't even a thing yet, I was 16, I am now 32. I have sort of followed the trends and climate change community since then.

Global warming is real, whether it's man made or not, but even if it is a natural cycle, which there is evidence of it, humans aren't helping by adding more onto the earths growing pains. A good example I like to use is the current mass extinction, sure there have been mass extinctions before, but humans aren't helping by deliberately deleting entire gene pools from the animal kingdom.

So if we have the knowledge and data to figure out and predict what will happen, why add more to the issue, why not strive for a better future where we work with the change instead of keeping our feet planted. It's about sustainability.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Riddle me this oh wise one. How can the release of 300 million years of locked up carbon into the atmosphere in three hundred years be a good thing? How can the input of energy to a system and then NOT an equal amount of output, NOT cause the kinetic energies in this system to increase? (like more intense storms - just to pick something at random - actually it wasn't all that random, it was chosen to see your answer)

join