It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Bought Zero Presents This Year - But Instead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Over the past few years, I've decided no more consumerism during the holidays, and if possible for the entire year. I just got tired of the coldness, stress, intolerance, unappreciative, and chaotic ripple-effect it has, on the world; and it really bums me out too.

Holidays are supposed to be special times created to reconnect, enjoy friends and family, but we've managed distort that time-off with Bling that people really don't need, and also don't even appreciate.

Basically we've been brain-washed, and are made to feel like losers, if we don't subscribe to the holiday MO.

What have I done personally?

To combat the consumerism madness, I've started to make things every year for people with my own hands. One of them being a very high quality bar of soap made from 100% organic coconut oil, Olive Oil, and selected essentials oils for scent. The bars are an absolute hit, because most people have never used a homemade bar of soap, with the finest ingredients, and once they do it makes store bought brands pale in comparison.

The bars are massive, so they last along time, most are about 1/2 pound each; they are very moisturizing, and the lather they make is amazing, because they can also be used as a shaving foam.

People that I know that are having trouble financially, I've given a certificate of time to; this certificate allows the holder to my time and experience in fixing something in their home, or car, or something I'm proficient in.

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm just tired of the holiday rush, madness, and chaos that seems to get worse every year. My input doesn't change the world, but it changes my world, and a few people that I personal care about.

Peace, love and Happy Holidays to everyone.

edit on 20-12-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You are awesome. I too try to make my presents. I think I will make some sauerkraut this year. In the past I have made special turmeric and other herbs into a rub for sore bodies, although not everyone appreciated turning yellow. I have also made fabric wraps to replace plastic wrap used in the kitchen. I do this as I am money poor but creative rich.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Oh and please could you tell me how you make your soap, I would like to try to make some too.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It's a wonderful idea.

I love to knit and cross-stitch but just haven't had the time or energy with working these days.

This year, the two kids and I just bought our own 'gifts' and we got together to buy something nice for the other kiddo who doesn't live at home. There isn't anyone else to buy gifts for, so that makes things much simpler.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
Oh and please could you tell me how you make your soap, I would like to try to make some too.

Here's the only book I use, and have used. I've read and tried many others, however this is the best. Also watch some video's on Youtube to understand the process, because it's almost like lab work, everything has to be precise, and measured out perfectly.

The Everything soap making book. I'm sure there are other good ones, but this is a solid start.
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1545330663&sr=8-5&keywords=soap+making+book

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Thanks for that. I will try to look on YouTube.
Today is the longest day down here so I will have plenty of time to research.
On a side note , I woke up at 4.30 this morning and saw what I imagined was what they thought long ago was Jesus’s star, it was extremely bright and big, need to research what planet it was.
Happy solstice to you.
a reply to: Realtruth

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Fabulous! Love this

Christmas rainbows to you and yours
Jane x

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Soap bars cut really nice with a with a scroll saw. The scroll saw is easier to clean.

The wife made soap one time many years ago, I cut it into bars for her. The tablesaw makes a mess of it....too fast, the soap liquifies. I had the bandsaw on low speed and it worked decent but the soap got on the pullies and the blade slipped off.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Tyler Durden?
I love your work

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Tyler Durden?
I love your work

"The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club."
edit on 20-12-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

That's really cool fella.

It's good to see someone breaking out of the consumer obligations that dominate the Christmas season. I've spent hours in traffic and ages in queues to buy thoughtful gifts for family, friends and colleagues. You've found a way out of the shopping quid pro quo so respect to you.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hot damn, sign my ass up, real soap, REAL soap!! I used to buy from A Wild Soap Bar a long time ago, because it was just infinitely better quality than crap like Dove or Ivory. I also used to get shampoo bars off Etsy years ago, they worked really well. Then we became super-broke for a few years and those were utter luxuries, cheapo mainstream stuff was necessary for the price point.

I should get back into that, I'm pretty sure AWSB is still around and probably still rocks their recipes.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I applaud your changes! I don't do the "holidays" because i don't believe they are anything close to holi and i believe the bible tells us not to imitate the false religions and not to worship trees and so on.

Anyway my personal feelings.

So when someone sends me a card I reply with a general card of goodwill and a donation in their name to Drs without Borders.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

That’s really sad, the Bible is very clear on pagan festivals.
The Bible states it absolutely fine to have fun, celebrate and enjoy the company of others and show others love, just don’t worship the pagan gods

Colossians 2:16 is clear, but if your Christianity is weak and your spirit not mature then best you don’t celebrate
Mature Christians can celebrate and also put Jesus first

Romans 14, 5/6

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

That’s really sad

If this is what you believe why the judgement of mine?

I think you misquote and misinterpreted that scripture.

You will know by the fruits, what are the true fruits of Christmas. Why do we make a lie in saying Jesus was born that day?
edit on 20-12-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
a reply to: Raggedyman

That’s really sad

If this is what you believe why the judgement of mine?

I think you misquote and misinterpreted that scripture.

You will know by the fruits, what are the true fruits of Christmas. Why do we make a lie in saying Jesus was born that day?

I didn’t judge you
I just feel sad you are so bound in legalism

That you having fun with friends and family will some how make God sad or upset him
and make God turn from you

And if you think I have misquoted scripture, I obviously didn’t, I did not put any up to misquote, can you not see that
As for misinterperate, go read all of Galatians about people who try and keep the Jewish law and not live or understand grace

Nobody knows when Jesus was born, it doesn’t matter, it’s about His sacrifice

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

S&F... awesome post and idea.

I have done basically the same thing for a long time... I gift my own wine and then bring my own beer to the family holiday parties.

Although I must admit to a bit of devilry with the beer part.. it's a really smooth Saskatchewan wheat beer that comes in at about 7% ABV.

So to me the fun starts on family occasions about 2 hours after I deliver said beer...

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Yeah, me too.
But instead I sent a Battalion style
donation.

Here: carepackages.moveamericaforward.org...

Amen.

S%F

edit on 21-12-2018 by Wildmanimal because: content

edit on 21-12-2018 by Wildmanimal because: typo.whoops!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Ummm...definitely the best rant I've ever read...

Cool idea...

If you really love making them...a lot of them...you should market them online...even if only to share and make back what you spent on the ingredients...cause I'd buy some...

I know that thought might run aground of your original intent...which was to get away from consumerism and I apologize for that...

Just trying to angle for a bar or two and replenish your cost...plus some...

Great idea...thanks for the rant...

youSir

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I see nothing wrong with this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join