It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geddy Lee: "...Neil is retired. He hasn't just retired from Rush, he's retired from drumming."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
RUSH is one of my favorite bands and I remember as a 15 year old seeing them for the first time in 1976, after they released their epic 2112 album. I started playing bass for the first time that year, after listening for years to my bass "heroes" on vinyl: John "The Ox" Entwistle, John John Paul Jones, Glenn Cornick and Chris Squire. However it was Geddy Lee's melodic playing and tone from his Rickenbacker, that really lit the fuse. Up until then, I was never focused on the drummer, until that 1976 RUSH concert at The Dome Arena, in Henrietta, NY. Between Alex's riffing and Geddy's thunderous grooves (along with that screeching voice of his), there was Peart's mastery on his drum kit. His timing, tasteful fills and solos were always part of RUSH's unique chemistry, including his thought provoking lyrics.

I really wasn't bummed out when I read Neil no longer plays drums, because it's his life to live. I know many fans were secretly hoping that RUSH would put out one last album and go on yet another tour. However, it's refreshing to see someone moving on to other interests, after being in such a successful band for nearly 45 years. He has suffered tremendous loss in his life, losing his then-only daughter in a single car accident, then his common law wife, 10 months later. He's a talented writer and is an avid motorcyclist. He took a long break to mourn the loss of his daughter and wife, travelling nearly 55,000 miles throughout North and Central America on his motorcycle. I still admire all the great lyrics he penned for RUSH and will always remember his talent sitting behind his drum kit.

Asked in a new interview with Trunk Nation on SiriusXM whether Rush were over, Lee says: “Yeah, I mean, Neil is retired. He hasn't just retired from Rush, he's retired from drumming.

“He's not drumming any more and he's living his life which is fine. Alex and I are cool with it. We're all still total pals. In fact, Alex and I were there just a few weeks ago visiting him and we stay in touch.

www.loudersound.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Saw the article earlier .

Already heard rumors that Alex and Geddy are open t working together. But Geddy not giving anything away.

Sad days but way underastandable. Good for him..

Maybe they will do a comedy tour

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The Professor will always be the best drummer ever in my opinion! I hope he enjoys his retirement, he deserves it!

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Best drummer of all time, dude would get absolutely locked in the zone.

Give him some time, he'll be back.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Wow that was awesome , he banged the hell out of those drums. Never got to see too much of rush , I never was a big fan of the lead singer chick they had.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Not sure why, but I was under the impression he'd gone carpal-tunnel from the drums or something, and if that's the case, then I don't blame him for deciding to give it up.

I am glad I got to see them in concert though. He was incredible to watch work.
edit on 19-12-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Thanks for posting this thread.
Wishes of a happy retirement for Mr. Peart. Well earned.

Here is another great performance by Neil, and Alex killing the solo:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

It’s bittersweet for me, I guess because I am also getting almost to that point in life. My band played 2112 in its entirety back in 1976 right after it came out. We were known for being able to pull that sh!t off. Great respect for all those guys but I never heard anybody bang the drums like Neil.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I dropped the money and purchased the drum “tablature” for Moving Pictures. Me and my bass playing buddy spent hours step writing in our favorite songs from that album. Tom Saywer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Camera Eye, and Vital Signs, all became songs I didn’t just learn, but know!

It is so cool to sit down and jam with the man after all the hours spent step writing his drums into a drum machine! Made us do other music we liked at the time (Police, U2, Flock of Seagulls, INXS, Billy Idol, Jimmy Buffet.. lol, Sultans of Swing, John Cougar, Madonna... lol again, New Order, etc)., and Jazz.

Neal Peart is so influential in my music, my reading, and my appreciation of those I love that I feel in debt to him. My life has not always been happy (and neither have I) but if I can find a lifeline then others can to.

Not a cure all but to those living in northern climes... you get it!

Love the guy! Love the drums!! Love the band! And love the music!!!

May Neal find some solace in inspiring some kids from Alaska to tackle his rhythms! Oh the days jamming Red Barchetta and YYZ!!

We still love our heroes!!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Good post!

I too am an avid RUSH fan. I've seen my share of shows over the years. One thing I can say that has always stayed with me... If I ever need to lighten the mood or feel like I just come out of a year long meditation.... RUSH is good listening for the soul. It tickles my imagination while teaching me wisdom and moral... Alongside a gentle caress of encouraging, melodic, mathematical sound... I don't believe I've ever listened to any music that's ever put me in the 'right state of mind' like RUSH.

Serenity for the ear holes! RUSH will FIX your heart and soul. No $#!^...

I should add, like many of you, I learned quite a bit on my guitar listening to Alex all those years ago. To this day, I can still see a strong similarity of the things I loved most about his playing in my own. For instance... Playing a guitar in such a way that it sounds like you're playing 2 or more. That was my first lesson that I picked up early in my love and fascination with RUSH. Odd to look back and see just how fanatical I was in my love for that band in my youth. I think the first song I ever heard that really turned me on to rock, much less rush, was Spirit of the Radio in my uncles FIAT Spider when I was just a kid. From there on... I was into ROCK and nothing else! I progressed into Metal but RUSH.... You know how it goes.

edit on 20-12-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
i love rush's music so much but i do not like neil's lyrics at all

definitely a band i just want to see/hear play
i need no lyrics

To stand within the pleasure dome
Decreed by Kubla Khan
To taste anew the fruits of life
The last immortal man
To find the sacred river Alph
To walk the caves of ice Oh,
I will dine on honey dew
And drink the milk of paradise, oh paradise

put on hemispheres and rock out though!!!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I wish Neil a happy retirement , he has nothing to prove his work speaks for him , one of the greatest drummers of our generation.

He'll be back.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Wishing Neil a happy retirement well earned!

Great band! 2112 was always one of my favorites.

top topics

join