It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit Job Loss Horror!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Brexit putting thousands of ski resort jobs at risk for British workers

Brexit has put up to 25,000 British seasonal jobs in ski resorts and summer activity holidays at risk, with businesses saying they are facing an “existential crisis” because they will not be able to hire British staff after March if the UK crashes out of the EU.

Link to The GUardian

What a shocking story.

And it is pretty much true. But let’s dig deeper… … Because the media is not always trustworthy and has a tendency to spread fear.

Yes my left leaning scarf wearing chums, The Guardian is just as bad as the rest.

25,000 as a number on its own seems huge. 25,000 bottles of beer drunk by one man alone is indeed MASSIVE. But in order to understand big numbers we must put them into perspective.

Let’s assume the 25,000 figure is correct and concerns only English workers going out to work in ski resorts.

The UK population is about 60 million.

Of which (appx) 32 million are workers.

This means less than 0.1% of our workforce will be effected. Less than 1% and it is a big headline in a big paper!

The actual figure is 0.07% of the UK workforce is POTENTIALLY (not definitely effected).

Yes, people will have to find seasonal work elsewhere… But relatively it is not many people.

So is there something which can ‘off-set’ this 25,000 lost jobs? (sorry, maybe potentially lost jobs).

Yes!

If we leave the EU we leave behind the The Common Fisheries Policy (CFP). This will give us much more control over our waters.

In 2016 we controlled 30% of the waters and revenue was a staggering £800 million. Therefore… once we gain more control over our waters there is a potential for £1.6 billion industry. 96% growth.

THIS IS £1.6 BILLION!!

More jobs, more money, more industry!

Link to summary of report

Link to report

Some additions to the preposterous nature of the ski resort claim:

The benefit of this system of free movement is that these ski resort workers can earn abroad but pay tax in the UK! Wow. However, you must earn over £11k to begin paying tax… How many seasonal young workers, over the course of a skiing season do you think earn substantially over that threshold? I’m willing to bet hardly any qualify to pay much tax at all.

Also, the resorts do not need to close, they can just employ people from other nations who can, by tradition, speak a multitude of languages, rather than us Brits who only speak one.

But Brexit has broken their business model, said former owner Charles Owen, managing director of European Pubs Ltd

To that, I say, bo****ks!

Sorry to hit and run, I have to travel now. Back when I can

edit on 19-12-2018 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Haha! There are "ski resorts" in Britain?
Fake news.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Haha! There are "ski resorts" in Britain?
Fake news.

Read it properly.

Then I might give you a sensible reply.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I only read the bold lines. So boring...

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I mean it's about 1% of those people.
Britain has invaded 90% of the countries in the world
suck it up you're just a tiny speck now.

And that's a good thing. My advice,
suck it up or drown.
Who cares about you whining as if that's the worst thing that could happen after a hard Brexit?
Nobody, because it is by far not.

edit on 19-12-2018 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Except we already know the Uk will have to barter away control of our own waters to get other deals on other things.

Spain have already said they either want Gibraltar back, or the British fishing grounds.

There's reasons why the Scottish fishermen are up in arms over brexit, because they see themselves being in an even worse place than they are now.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Oooh juhu, nobody wants you to own the world?
Does that make you cry?
My gosh you people. You want to know how Europe calls you behind your back?
Island monkeys,
or
Island Money.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Thanks for your valuable input.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

As if that is what those "left leaning chums" worry about. Are you that stupid? Or do you think ATS is that stupid?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Except a collapse of the British economy could affect world markets. We will see in 100 days

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Typical. "The world will end without me!"
No. Just no.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Painterz

Oooh juhu, nobody wants you to own the world?
Does that make you cry?
My gosh you people. You want to know how Europe calls you behind your back?
Island monkeys,
or
Island Money.

What a charming person!!

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   

ski resorts and the british ecomony are kindred spirits, a mandatory race to the bottom.

spud picking is a growth industry and i am sure that the tarquins and tabathas could make trendy besides
the fact they will reduce their carbon footprint.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Medication run out?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   

The UK needs to get out. The EU has been one bad problem after another. Even getting out of it is a nightmare. What a monster.

Don't worry. It's all BS. When Europe messes up, and they will, they will turn to the UK for leadership. I say take the hit now, give them hell when you bounce back off the ropes.

Your country will be fine. Don't let old world power struggles dictate the future of your people.

Tell Europe to suck it. Spain would forget about Gibraltar and even parts of mainland Spain for some decent English jobs.

The UK should stop worrying about Europe. Compete and force them to acknowledge who brings what to the table.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

It's not me, just reporting what the population thinks about your citizens from crossing paths on holidays and other events.
You are arrogant ,loud and unpolite.
Seriously.
Sincerely Munich and southern Bavaria. You know Oktoberfest, Mallorca etc.

And you really could muse once in a while, what you do so dilligently, about what you did and what experiences are saved on the drive called "nationwide memory". 90% of the world, yet you are just such a tiny island.
That's commitment. And quite agressive. You didn't "hug" your way into those countries.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Medication run out?

Why? Because you don't get writing is not the same as talking? Metaphors honey, metaphors.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Say it. You are talking a suicidal nation into jumping from the edge. At least say what you mean.
"Kill yourself"

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: and14263 When Europe messes up, and they will, they will turn to the UK for leadership. I say take the hit now, give them hell when you bounce back off the ropes.

We can always team up with the Russians again.............................
Finish the continentals off for a third time

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Great nations like the UK don't need to apologize for not empowering other nations to dominate the world. Others tried.

The UK should feel pride in their strength and resolve. While other nations could not protect their people from nature or conquest, Great Britan held back the waves of enemies and recovered from all disasters struck.

Other has been nations should not comment on the nature of great nations like the UK. They are in a different class and little insignificant BS peoples need to check who the hell they are and who they speak to.

Most countries tried to be great. Only some use the word in their name.

Great Britan does not need to feel shame for her glorious history.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join