It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winamp is back! Version 5.8 available, free download

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: madmac5150

VLC plays ANYTHING, even incomplete files, with no codec's.

When it works.

Every time I try to install it on my computer it messes things with other programs, so I removed it a couple of years ago.

Never liked it anyway.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a try, if only for memories sake.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Good to hear. I used to use it for everything, too.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: madmac5150

My current setup is Foobar2000 through a Schiit ETIR as a USB interface leveraging the DAC on an Onkyo A-9010.
With that system I wanted to maximize sound on a budget.

Next iteration is going the opposite way with a McIntosh MA5300.. lol

My audio card is a 24-bit Audigy, I normally use my Bose headphones.... if I want it loud, I have the fiber optic cable plugged into a Kenwood receiver... it is rarely used...

When I really need to escape reality, my car has a Bose sound system... and it goes to 11

If you wanted to go true audiophile then you wouldnt be using a TOSLINK cable but rather a USB with a better DAC or Coax leveraging the DAC on your receiver.

I however am not one of those audiophile people that says things like that.

THe number one thing about music, if your system sounds good to you then everyone else can go to Hell! lol

I used to hang out in audiophile forums when I collected SACD ISOs. Almost everyone there used the USB DAC setup you describe. Their favorite software seemed to be JRiver Media Center and they liked to set up a separate server to hold all their music and video.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Awesome!!!

Funny... When they mentioned that it would be taken down by X-date, I downloaded the player and ALL of the valid skins and put them all on CD because I knew that every time I built a new PC, I would use it and I was right. Nothing beats WinAmp!

Media Player sucks and the 'Once Played EVERYTHING' VLC player doesn't always play everything anymore... Sides.. I love the feel, the groove and the style of good old nostalgia that is WinAmp! I used to love making my own skins.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

originally posted by: madmac5150

My current setup is Foobar2000 through a Schiit ETIR as a USB interface leveraging the DAC on an Onkyo A-9010.
With that system I wanted to maximize sound on a budget.

Next iteration is going the opposite way with a McIntosh MA5300.. lol

My audio card is a 24-bit Audigy, I normally use my Bose headphones.... if I want it loud, I have the fiber optic cable plugged into a Kenwood receiver... it is rarely used...

When I really need to escape reality, my car has a Bose sound system... and it goes to 11

If you wanted to go true audiophile then you wouldnt be using a TOSLINK cable but rather a USB with a better DAC or Coax leveraging the DAC on your receiver.

I however am not one of those audiophile people that says things like that.

THe number one thing about music, if your system sounds good to you then everyone else can go to Hell! lol

I used to hang out in audiophile forums when I collected SACD ISOs. Almost everyone there used the USB DAC setup you describe. Their favorite software seemed to be JRiver Media Center and they liked to set up a separate server to hold all their music and video.

Yah that's standard approach for maximizing Computer based audio quality..

1. Don't leverage the DAC on a sound card or motherboard. Chipset wise you typically won't get anything high-end but power rail and USB interface can negatively impact quality.

2. Digital, coax is better than optical, out to a dedicated DAC.

3. DAC to next component.

You can tweak that a million ways.. You can go budget for less than $500 and get a great sound. Schiit is known for having great quality at a solid price all made in America of that matters. They just released a great sounding DAC for $100.

You can go crazy and spend thousands on cables alone.

In the end, find the sound that makes you happy and enjoy. Dont get caught up in marketing ploys and Audiophile snobbery. Lol

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I read this today.

What the world needs now is a $250,000 power amplifier

$250,000 Dan D’Agostino Relentless Monoblock amplifier, 1,500 watts into 8 ohms, weighs 570 pounds each

I don't know if that's $250,000 each or for the pair. I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54
a reply to: opethPA

I read this today.

What the world needs now is a $250,000 power amplifier

$250,000 Dan D’Agostino Relentless Monoblock amplifier, 1,500 watts into 8 ohms, weighs 570 pounds each

I don't know if that's $250,000 each or for the pair. I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

I would like to say that is crazy but I have a friend that has literally spent around $15k in cabling alone for his reference McIntosh system.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Install the best visualizations: Twisted Pixel, and Gforce. I know it sounds just like the NVidia video card, but for reals, its mind blowingly brilliant math like Einstein snip.

I am so bummed that twisted pixel crashes winamp..

gadzooks..

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

VLC plays ANYTHING, even incomplete files, with no codec's.

Winamp for sound tho... its nice not having EVERY single media file possible all open in ONLY one single player. Sound and video should run on separate appies.

Those visualizations are great..but no VLC cannot play EVERYTHING..incompletes often foil it..as well as other files...comes close though.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Winamp visualizer we meet again.

lol...time for the good ol 3 screen display with a 50 inch 2 feet from your face and 2 42's on each side slanted inwards just nicely and...well maybe its time to also splurge on an HTC VIVE for this...

Fantastic fun ..such energizing.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Two months... totally stable, even when switching codecs. I have been playing mp3, wma, and flac files, with zero issues.

I hope it has worked as well for you, as it has for me.

edit on 23-2-2019 by madmac5150 because: I unpacked my adjectives...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join