It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Man Needs Skateboarding Tips!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
(Most skateboarders are the friendly hippie-types. Maybe 51%, that is. So I'm not afraid of the responses to this WHAT-soever...I do have the long-hair and 2 tattoos, mind you! I'm semi-qualified!)

So whatever sport you play, any athlete must admit that SKATEBOARDING, much like bull-riding, is one hell of a challenge!
I'm turning 45 on December 24th of this year. After 28 years of NOT skating, I just bought my first skateboard in September of this year. An "Almost" deck which seemed befitting of my life's fortune thus far, LoL. (Syd Barrett, anyone?)

So, then I immediately broke several ribs in October trying to go up a concrete quarter-pipe. Then I went home and watched football for 6 months. (No doctors for me, thanks! Just pizza.)

Now, I'm healed up and I need to learn to ollie again...

Oh, never mind... I just remembered I have some soft tacos waiting for me in the alleyway if you catch my drift.
No skating until spring where I live. -*(

See U Soon! @#BBQribs

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

I'll give you one big tip.
Don't skateboard.
You're to damn old and fragile.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I still hop on sometimes and bust my bum almost every time. But I can still do a kick flip!

My advice to learn again is hold onto the back of a couch or chair and practice whilst holding on. Hell I can do a 360flip if I’m holding onto something.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Oh, never mind... I just remembered I have some soft tacos waiting for me in the alleyway if you catch my drift.

Tell her olaru12 says...Merry Christmas and prospero ano...

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I'll give you one big tip.
Don't skateboard.
You're to damn old and fragile.

Yeah. I'm an old BMX racing guy. Thought about getting a bike and going racing again. Who am I fooling? I don't bounce off the ground like I used to nor do I heal quickly either. 45 years old now. Knees ain't worth a sh*t.

Used to skate a little too. Totally afraid of busting my ass.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

There is a bike shop in my town ran by an old bmx racer.
He's in worse shape than an old football player.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Edumakated

There is a bike shop in my town ran by an old bmx racer.
He's in worse shape than an old football player.

Yeah, looking back on it I can't believe how much abuse my body took. I loved it but definitely paying the price for it now. Knees and my wrists are shot

I live in kind of a hipster area. I see a lot older guys my age skating long boards around our town.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
In my later half of decade 4 myself, last year I put a stick together to start riding again for the excercise.
I skated for about 10 years well into my twenties, loved it. Best times of my life.

I put together a re boot hosoi with titanium axle indys, rat bones 85's, and six ball swiss bearings.

I spared no expense and got the best of everything, cause back in the day I never had bread and always had to settle for a mix of old and new.

I mainly just cruise it around and enjoy the ride, not much in the way of tricks, can't afford time off work for busted bones lol.

I have rode around on a local skate park, just kick turning transitions and such. Maybe after I get back in shape and toss off a few pounds I'll try to get a little more gnarly, but for now, it's nice to be back on.

Have fun with it, be safe, and wear a lid if your hitting up those quarters.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

DUDE!!! If you think for even ONE SECOND that "skateboarding" is anything like "bull riding" you are so badly mistaken I don't even know where to begin!!

Let me tell you something, I will put ANY skate punk on this PLANET on top of a rodeo bull, and I will guarantee you with 50,000% certainty not a single one of them (if they survive) will EVER say...skateboarding is like bull riding!!!!

That's the most laughable thing I've ever seen on this website...EVER!!!

That's like saying solitaire is like Russian roulette! Or, a pillow fight is like a UFC fight.

Anyone who thinks skateboarding is even remotely like bull riding needs to get their head examined!! PERIOD!!!

That's INSANE!!!

Skateboarding isn't even like herding milk cows calves, hand tamed, and docile as sheep!

I can't even believe you made that comparison!!! Unbelievable!!

If you want some broken S# on your body, c'mon out one time and hop on one of our bulls!!! And they're not even rodeo bulls!

Skateboarding is a powder puff derby compared to getting on top of a 2,000 lb animal made of solid muscle with a cinch strap tied under his flank, and who is fired up like a 55 gallon drum of dynamite on steroids, and wants to kill everything on the planet!!

Skateboarding is like bull riding....OMG....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL **snort** LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

You CRAZY!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I put together a re boot hosoi with titanium axle indys, rat bones 85's, and six ball swiss bearings.

jeez who woke up granpa?

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You tell me, OP, that THIS is like skateboarding!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Dude screw getting close to a bull let alone a rodeo bull....
I had to put one down as it was caught in a tangled mess of barbed wire that would have killed it or me trying to untangle it.
Getting close enough to ensure a clean kill was scary enough.
I think i'm good.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Well, I have to go near bulls every day, but I don't do it on a skateboard (just to stay on topic).

I've had to untangle a few cows and bulls out of fence wire, but let's discuss that on another thread.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

jeez who woke up granpa?

Granpa!? Get off my lawn boi!

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
I'd disagree to a point, I know a few rodeo riders, and yeah, that's some tough stuff. You get beat up pretty good there.
Most skateboards dont even come close to that level of abuse, but, there is a segment of the skateboarding community that subject themselves to punishment that is beyond human conception.
It's not me, never would have been or ever would be, but some skaters are freakin self masochistic abuse whores to the freakin extreme.

Challenge a skater to pull a Smith off a bull's horns sometime. He'll be up for it.
Even if it takes 50 tries

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Your not an old man, your just a young whipper snapper at forty five. You should not need any tips, you should already be smart enough to just say no. If not that smart, my tip is to say no. It takes longer to heal after you go over the forty mark.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I used to ride one in the 60's had 1st fancy board on block,but after 30 they should be put away to avoid breaking a hip

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   

One is never to old to skate!

It was my main occupation trough my teen-years.
Iam 44 now and I still break out the board each season to just roll around and
feel the feeling of the wheels beneath my feet.
Its something I have to do, and I cannot not

I can still kickflip and do a couple of easy tricks but I mostly just cruise around.
I sort of need it.
Problem is, i live on top of a big nasty hill and my form isnt what it used to be.
So this summer I bought one of them electric longboards, you've probably seen them.
I go 44-48 kmh on flatground and I gps-measured myself going 29kmh up the big nasty hill.
Trust me its a nasty hill you dont wanna walk up it if you really dont have to :-)

So.. my genious plan was to ride my longboard to the park (bringing my regular deck
strapped to a backpack) to do my 'regular' skating there, and then longboard home.

Since getting that longboard I havent been in the park.
Rocketing around on it is the most fun Ive had since I discovered skating.
I say rocketing because thats what I feel like riding it.
A rocket dancing around on clouds.
I had no idea the fun... :-)

If you ever get the chance to try one of the electrified skateboards then do it!
I wouldnt recommend it to anyone as you easily could kill yourself.
But do it anyway.
Wear a helmet!

Its gonna be spring before I too can do anymore riding.
4 months of hard waiting.
I almost cant take it

Skate or die!

thanks

Heres a video I made of me riding said longboard around my town:

edit on 15/12/18 by Nivek555 because: putted link to video

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Recently, I bought my son a skateboard so I got on it and I rode again trying to show him what to do. I was immediately disappointed in the quality of the board and knew he needed a better one. I was looking into getting him lessons in my area but I think its too expensive (hourly rates). I'm gona keep my eye open though for an affordable class b/c I think it would do him some good. Anyways, getting on the board again was fun.

I myself had a skateboard growing up but i never did a ramp or anything like that. I wasn't good on it, but i rode it all the time. Used to goto the local mall parking lot and ride it down hills and on the side walls playing around and goofing off.

leolady

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Nivek555

I was going to recommend getting a longboard or carve board, though I never thought of an electric one. I will have to look into those, that’s well impressive how did you slow it down? Can you control the power remotely or something?

DerekDarkley

It’s surprising even after years off how quickly you get your muscle memory back, but there is a period between getting the feel of it again and getting old skills back that everyone should be wary of. I would say forget trying the knarly stuff you used to do altogether. It’s all about having fun and let’s face it none of us enjoyed the falls, whacks and frustrations that came with trying to get good. Though that’s what made it impressive, the knarly factor. Is it worth it at our age?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join