It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Military Denies Spy Flights Over Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
After a Washington Post article earliar this year reporting flights of U.S. spy drones over Iranian nuclear sites fears were raised that Washinton was preparing for an attack on Iran.

Now Pentagon chief spokesman,Lawence DiRita catagorically denies that the U.S. military or other U.S. goverment entities are conducting spy flights over Iran.

www.spacewar.com
The US military is not conducting spy flights over Iran and "to the best of our knowlege" neither are other elements of the US government, a Pentagon spokesman said Tuesday, denying Iranian and US reports to the contrary.

DiRita said he could not speak for the US government as a whole, but he said the Defense Department was not flying reconnaissance missions over Iran and he was satisfied they were not being flown by others in the government, an allusion to the US intelligence agencies.

"Nothing I'm saying here is meant to leave any other impression than it's not happening in the Department of Defense and to the best of our knowledge it isn't happening period," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The claim of no spy flights by DiRita defy common sense, military doctrine and intelligence gathering methods especially when one considers the large exposure of U.S. forces in Iraq.

Not withstanding news reports to the contrary this late denial by the Pentagon stretches the imagination and damages credibility.

The only explanation I can come up with is if the U.S. is supplying and allowing operation of the drones in question by a third country such as Israel out of Iraqi territory or sea based platforms in the persian gulf, then plausable denial can come into play making the claim technically true but very suspect.

Related News Links:
today.reu ters.co.uk
www.chicagotribune.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Iran threatens to shoot down US UAVs
WAR: USA Probes Iran

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The phrase "a day late and a dollar short" comes to mind.... Once again, the spin doctors seem to be on hiatus....

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I don't know which part is more disturbing. The thought that somebody is lying about the spy flights, or the thought that an "intelligence agency" would be able to commit an act of war without the government's knowledge. God help us.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Of course a denial was issued.......standard procedure........I'm kind of tired of always feeling condescended to by my government......

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
You can bet yer bottom dollar that we (U.S.) have been doing overflights for awhile now. We have to in order to gain intel. on them pesky Iranians. Does anyone really think they are going to come clean by telling us so? Not in this lifetime. Recon. is needed not only over Iran but also in any other airspace we can get our planes into. I would think that our overflights on Iran will prove invaluable to Isreal when they get their last good nerve upset and finally go in and take out a reactor or two. I feel Isreal would do this for their own National Security. Problem is how many nukes would Iran lob at Isreal for their actions and what other spots in the Gulf area they would then consider open territory for a relatalitory strike(s) Just a thought

top topics

join