It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you have jumped?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I would have sprung open my quick release paracord and found something to belay it too in an attempt getting out the window and further down to another floor. Preferably one that wasn't on fire.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I would stand on the seat of an office chair and jump. Right before it hit the ground I would jump off and land unscratched.

You would have as much chance of surviving that as you would using a cocktail umbrella as a device to slow your descent.

I know one thing, Working at those heights I would have seriously considered my own personal parachute well before 9-11. I'm a forward planner for all possible eventualities.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jess_Undefined

If I am picturing this correctly. You are going to hold onto the office chair the entire way down, and right before it hits the ground, jump off said office chair? What happens if you end up upside down? If you were upright still, wouldn't you still be falling at such a speed that jumping off would still kill you? I have a lot of questions.
The last thing that would go through my mind would be an office chair.
Science, bitch.
So long Sammy, see ya' in Miami.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

yea, im mcguyver, i would have used all the carpets and chair material and made makeshift parachutes. also i would collect pens papers and magazine to turn into a large passenger glider with seatbelts and inflight entertainment systems for the other stranded souls.
edit on 10-12-2018 by choos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
One telling thing is that (at least for a couple of them) there is footage of them attempting to cling to the exterior of the building before losing their grip and falling. That points to the validity of the theory that being inside the building was apparently intolerable if there was any way you could possibly get even slightly outside. I don't think they were trying to climb down the outside of the building so much as they were to just get outside to either escape the heat or the smoke. Or possibly things were falling on them inside. There was probably some of that going on.

It's hard to imagine that whoever did this (no matter what you believe) could have been so heartless.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I say yes. They probably accepted they're fate and were relieved somewhat they they're gonna die quicker than burning alive.

Has anyone else heard or know if people jumping from that high up will pass out like halfway down because the brain, or the body, cant handle the freefall speed and fast changing altitudes?
edit on 11-12-2018 by wickd_waze because: ASU

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

I would stand on the seat of an office chair and jump. Right before it hit the ground I would jump off and land unscratched.

You would have as much chance of surviving that as you would using a cocktail umbrella as a device to slow your descent.

I know one thing, Working at those heights I would have seriously considered my own personal parachute well before 9-11. I'm a forward planner for all possible eventualities.

I thought that if I was ever gonna work a couple floors up I would keep a repelling gear and up higher like sky scrapers, repelling gear and two parachute.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: wickd_waze

If all the alternatives meant zero survival possibilities, 100mph into solid pavement would involve the least suffering by far. I'd just hope none of us ever are faced with making such a tragic decision.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: face23785

I wonder if the jumpers felt relief during their fall?

I imagine they probably did. Going from burning hotness to nice cool rushing wind must have felt wonderful albeit not for long

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum

If all the alternatives meant zero survival possibilities, 100mph into solid pavement would involve the least suffering by far. I'd just hope none of us ever are faced with making such a tragic decision.

I remember years ago there was a video of an actual jumpers impact up close, it seems to have been (thankfully) taken of the Internet in recent years though I am sure it is probably available on the dark web.

After seeing what happened to the body on impact I can safely say they definitely did not feel it.. *pukes*

RIP

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It may have been the instinct of survival to get away from the intense heat. Maybe just a reflexive action to get away from the heat not a voluntary decision of whether to jump or not.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

Ran a few numbers through the calculator and your body would experience a deceleration of around 5000g on impact which means there wouldn't be enough time (less than 10 mSec) for nerves to transmit any sensation of initial contact with the ground.

So yes, it would be a completely painless way to go and much better than being burned alive or asphyxiated by thick toxic smoke if those are the only options and no chance of escape.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I thought that if I was ever gonna work a couple floors up I would keep a repelling gear and up higher like sky scrapers, repelling gear and two parachute.

As someone trained in rope rescue is actually feasible to lower yourself down to escape, not the entire building, but several floors where stairways are clear

Lets see - 9mm static rope (smallest recommended, breaking strength 4500-5000 psi). at least 50 ft if not more (75-100), smaller length, 12-15 feet to tie a quick climbing harness (swiss seat) . Tie around waist and jump off building like Bruce Willis in DIE HARD doesn't work. several aluminum carabiners

Yea could quickly rig a system - also possible to save others by lowering them out window to floor below …...

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Thanks for that calculation! Jumping definitely would have been the better option then

edit on 21/1/2019 by JPtruther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Has anyone else heard or know if people jumping from that high up will pass out like halfway down because the brain, or the body, cant handle the freefall speed and fast changing altitudes?

I doubt that, think skydiving, many dives have a long free fall before pulling the cord, and you only can go so fast in free fall.

Now the brain might shut it down, or the heart might give out..due to terror/adrenaline/irreversible conclusion.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

That would be assuming you'd gone to work in the office with your briefcase and a backpack containing your climbing rope (standard 150'), carabiners, leather gloves, slings, etc etc.
And then there's the leap of faith hoping there'd be an open window below the impact zone which is something you wouldn't know until descended beyond the point of no return. I don't recall any points of entry below the impact zone.

A base jumper's parachute pack would have been a better option than climbing gear.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
a reply to: firerescue

That would be assuming you'd gone to work in the office with your briefcase and a backpack containing your climbing rope (standard 150'), carabiners, leather gloves, slings, etc etc.
And then there's the leap of faith hoping there'd be an open window below the impact zone which is something you wouldn't know until descended beyond the point of no return. I don't recall any points of entry below the impact zone.

A base jumper's parachute pack would have been a better option than climbing gear.

Yep definitely it would at least give you a fighting chance, even though it would have it would have been like parachuting either into a wind blown canyon and avoid the walls or trying to land and stay on the roof tops of other buildings below.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Unless you are faced with such a decision, it's hard to say. Personally I would have waited for as long as i could before deciding to burn to death or jump to my death.
I would probably jump. The thought of burning to death scares me even now. Horrible way to die.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Yes, if there was absolutely no hope of getting out.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think with the people who made the impossible decision to jump instead of boiling to death. The human brian is amazing, I think it would of released all kinds of chemicals as a self defence against the situation the body is in. I hope they felt a huge rush of euphoria at peace.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join