It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds no increase in violence in states that adopt more lenient concealed carry laws

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: chr0naut

www.bbc.com...

Think of New Zealand and what likely comes to mind is beautiful nature - fjords, mountains and magnificent landscapes, vast, empty and endless. But for years already, the country has been struggling with another form of isolation - depression and suicide. A new report by Unicef contains a shocking statistic - New Zealand has by far the highest youth suicide rate in the developed world. A shock but no surprise - it's not the first time the country tops that table. The Unicef report found New Zealand's youth suicide rate - teenagers between 15 and 19 - to be the highest of a long list of 41 OECD and EU countries. The rate of 15.6 suicides per 100,000 people is twice as high as the US rate and almost five times that of Britain.

Good thing you folks don't have gunz. There wouldn't be any kids left.

Pesky facts.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: chr0naut

www.bbc.com...

Think of New Zealand and what likely comes to mind is beautiful nature - fjords, mountains and magnificent landscapes, vast, empty and endless. But for years already, the country has been struggling with another form of isolation - depression and suicide. A new report by Unicef contains a shocking statistic - New Zealand has by far the highest youth suicide rate in the developed world. A shock but no surprise - it's not the first time the country tops that table. The Unicef report found New Zealand's youth suicide rate - teenagers between 15 and 19 - to be the highest of a long list of 41 OECD and EU countries. The rate of 15.6 suicides per 100,000 people is twice as high as the US rate and almost five times that of Britain.

Good thing you folks don't have gunz. There wouldn't be any kids left.

We do have guns.

... and the youth suicide rate here is a worry. We are taking steps to identify causes and to fix things. The rate is highest among Maori boys so there are likely to be cultural and socioeconomic aspects. The thing is, that like all cultures, there is much that is good and adds to society. In isolation, the Maori culture worked well, but the integration into other cultures exposes issues, conflicts of the way people see things and do things. We need to carefully and wisely accommodate the best from many cultures while reducing conflict and confusion. It isn't always as clear cut and simple to resolve.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I never knew that concealed carry was a thing in regards to gun violence. I thought the point of it was that it was too easy to get guns, vetting was poor, gun shows and other means made getting them through loopholes and spotty or non existent gun checks, meant people who shouldn't have guns, do.

And it doesn't matter if they can carry them concealed. If an unstable person can GET guns, hardly matters if it's on their person. Their attacks are premeditated and planned. Some of these unstable folks (blokes) have dozens of guns.. and even bombs and other devices.

Concealed guns might have the odd impassioned crime, hate crime or road rage incident, but that's not really the problem. The problem is a dude who is dishonorably discharged from the service and it slipped through the cracks, and he bought weapons and shot up a church full of people. Stuff like that...

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Thing is that those guys you worry about are even less of a problem than the ones who are outright criminal and obtain their guns illegally because they never intended to be up to any good to begin with.

They're the ones who won't care one way or the other what the gun laws are, and they're the ones we'd all be left at the mercy of if guns were made illegal to try to protect us from the much less common other type.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: fleabit

Thing is that those guys you worry about are even less of a problem than the ones who are outright criminal and obtain their guns illegally because they never intended to be up to any good to begin with.

They're the ones who won't care one way or the other what the gun laws are, and they're the ones we'd all be left at the mercy of if guns were made illegal to try to protect us from the much less common other type.

This is part of the problem. The gun control lobby gets people distracted over things that don't matter, like gun shows or "assault weapons", and it stops us from looking at actual problems.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I've been to a gun show many times where I just buy from the person with the gun over their shoulder with a price tag on it.

No background check there... bought a sweet 1958 Savage lever action 308 that way. (I like the older Savages before they turned into crap.)

The last 5 guns I have purchased have been through Facebook local buy and sell pages... I meet them at the parking lot of the local gas station and give them cash.

None of what I just said is illegal.

Just sayin...

Yeah, this is how most normal people here in Arkansas do it. If you want a new rifle you pay retail or buy them online and have them shipped to an FFL dealer and then do the routine FBI check to get it. On a side note, I too am a fan of the Savage 99s but to my knowledge, Savage rifles never went to crap.
edit on 13-12-2018 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join