It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds no increase in violence in states that adopt more lenient concealed carry laws

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
The thing I see a lot of people ignoring is that this means more lax gun laws don't prevent gun violence either. A claim I've seen many pro-2nd people make.

So does mean that both sides can start looking at actual root causes?

It shows that guns aren't the primary cause of either. We need to look at other factors, like our abysmal mental health system and our tolerance for repeat offenders. That is, if we actually care about stopping the violence. Some of the biggest proponents for gun control are often part of the problem, pushing for softer sentences or outright pardoning criminals with a record of gun crimes. Makes you wonder what their real goal is don't it?
edit on 10 12 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

What about not committing suicide?

Great idea! Now, what can we do to stop people from committing suicide?

How about making it illegal? There's a good idea... oh, wait, how are we going to prosecute someone who committed suicide? They're dead by definition.

How about just making their life seem a little better? You know, things like a better economy so they can not worry every month about how to make ends meet? Maybe a little less government looking over their shoulder to try and restrict ever move they make? And we could maybe figure out a way to make mental health care more affordable... oh, wait, no, that's what the big orange mean guy is doing.

OK, I give up. How do we get people to not commit suicide?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Great idea! Now, what can we do to stop people from committing suicide?

How about making it illegal? There's a good idea... oh, wait, how are we going to prosecute someone who committed suicide? They're dead by definition.

How about just making their life seem a little better? You know, things like a better economy so they can not worry every month about how to make ends meet? Maybe a little less government looking over their shoulder to try and restrict ever move they make? And we could maybe figure out a way to make mental health care more affordable... oh, wait, no, that's what the big orange mean guy is doing.

OK, I give up. How do we get people to not commit suicide?

TheRedneck

You're not paying attention. We must sacrifice our economic prosperity to combat "climate change". We must kill ourselves now to stop us from maybe possibly probably not dying from climate change 100 years from now.

Just realized I just derailed my own thread.

edit on 10 12 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

So you're sayin we should burn down the suicide forest in Asia?

Obviously if so many choose to commit suicide in that location, then your same standard applied would reduce their suicides by taking away the location to do it, correct?

Restrict access to it, or introduce ranger-counsellors, or both.

Burning it down is needlessly destructive.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Making guns illegal would stop people from getting them.

We should try that with Meth and heroin.

And we should outlaw murder while we're at it.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Or just go to the end game and make murder illegal.

Damn, you beat me to it. I should have scrolled down one more before posting.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: du Pelican Blanc
I grew up in an age where there were guns hanging in a rack in the back window of pickup trucks in the parking lot of my high school. Never a mass shooting and not even a shooting even when there was a fight in the parking lot after school. They duked it out in the parking lot using fists.

Most law abiding citizens that own guns are never a threat unless threatened. Plus the law abiding citizen understands what the consequences could be before shooting a human. 2A people are not the wild west. We like peace and quiet, like most people.

I don't own a gun, but I may have a wireless handheld device peacekeeper or two or....

That's how it was in my high school as well. Grad'd in 1998.

link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

There's probably a way we can make it illegaler.

link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: LSU2018

There's probably a way we can make it illegaler.

Lets do it! But only if we legalize every drug on the market.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

So this study comes as no surprise to me. We are not the problem. The soft-on-crime approach in the cities is the problem.

We may not be the problem but we will be the targets. The Dems will be whipped and driven by the leftists to disarm law abiding citizenry because they are determined to make such people equal opportunity targets for the thugs.

And of course, as always, they'll succeed and they'll do it despite the Constitution or the Courts. They'll do it with taxes! They'll put a $5:00 a bullet tax into place. Dry up the ammo........dry up the demand. It worked for cigarettes, it will work for firearms.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

So this study comes as no surprise to me. We are not the problem. The soft-on-crime approach in the cities is the problem.

We may not be the problem but we will be the targets. The Dems will be whipped and driven by the leftists to disarm law abiding citizenry because they are determined to make such people equal opportunity targets for the thugs.

And of course, as always, they'll succeed and they'll do it despite the Constitution or the Courts. They'll do it with taxes! They'll put a $5:00 a bullet tax into place. Dry up the ammo........dry up the demand. It worked for cigarettes, it will work for firearms.

They're already doing that. In some states and cities they've placed such administrative burden on anyone applying to obtain a permit that they've effectively priced low-income people out of being able to afford a gun for protection. And these are the people who need it the most, low-income families, higher percentages of minorities, single mothers, in high crime neighborhoods. And then they'll turn around and pretend they care about these people.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

If they truly "cared" about these people, they wouldn't have put the cops on stand-down orders as they appear to have done in practically all the major metro areas.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
And yet according to the WHO, the majority of suicides globally are by self inflicted poison, with Europe being the highest suicide prone region.

Now, how would you like to spin that into somehow being the fault of firearms accessibility?

To be honest, I would rather someone go out instantly with a bullet than agonizingly painful and dragged out by poison.

well, we could make a law against it .....you know, making it illegal.

Punishable by death.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

If they truly "cared" about these people, they wouldn't have put the cops on stand-down orders as they appear to have done in practically all the major metro areas.

Well you can't have them cracking down and arresting all these criminals. Most of them vote Democrat and they can't vote from jail.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
The thing I see a lot of people ignoring is that this means more lax gun laws don't prevent gun violence either. A claim I've seen many pro-2nd people make.

So does mean that both sides can start looking at actual root causes?

Which is what, mental loons and thugs don't need guns? That's already a lawr.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: du Pelican Blanc
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy In USA, when we go to a "gun fair" (we call them gun shows here). They definitely do background checks. I know. Can't even buy a gun online and have it shipped to your house. Have to go through a background check and an approved dealer. So, the problem here is with crazy people getting guns illegally will ill intentions.

To add to this:

The "loophole" is actually a measure of freedom for those who do not sell guns on the regular, for instance, a gun collector. Is this hypothetical collector automatically an evil person for not being required to be federally licensed to sell or trade a gun every so often?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454
Morally obligated, British gangsters dont rent guns to psycho twats lol.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
Liberals will never let facts get in the way. Those of us who own guns and (gasp) legally carry them are a direct impairment to installing their globalist agenda. The US is one of very few countries left where invaders won’t (at least for now) be able to roll over the civilian population if the military/police fail to turn back those invaders.

Wonder how the AMA feels about this report since they’ve been battling the NRA over Twitter the last month or two, and this report is in one of their premier publications?

The thread was fairly sensible up to this point.

Don't forget to check under the bed before you go to sleep tonight.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Debatable.

Some of the gangsters ARE psychotwats.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Wardaddy454
Morally obligated, British gangsters dont rent guns to psycho twats lol.

You mean they arent?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join