It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Government Expect Children To Pay North Sea Oil Decommissioning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The taxpayer, in other words, will be running up this huge bill . . .
theconversation.com...

And here are the leeches, gloating over taking candy from a baby.

vimeo.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

The money question

The department’s response also addresses the cost to the taxpayer, which is being spent in the form of tax relief for operators who are decommissioning. It says:

North Sea operators have paid over £330 billion of tax since the 1970s at tax rates significantly higher than onshore companies, therefore allowing tax relief on decommissioning ensures a fair tax system that gives companies good incentives to maximise economic recovery.

What is that justifying or explaining? Because oil and gas companies have paid due taxes on eye-watering profits in the past, the government can use taxpayers’ money for future decommissioning costs?
The response refers to these as an “unavoidable cost for industry”. Well plugging and abandonment is unavoidable but asset removal? Witness the rigs to reefs programme in the US.

So, by children, you mean, future generations?

This is what I call a minimal OP.

But after reading the article especially the part I quoted, I can agree that they are totally bamboozling the People.

Like the author says, these oil companies have made HUGE profits. BEYOND HUGE. (especially in cases like Zapata Oil owned by Bush which took advantage of the fact that offshore rig resupply vessels do not go through customs so a smuggler only needs to get their product to an offshore rig and thats as good as having it on the mainland)

But the taxpayer has to pay to take apart these rigs once theyre done using them to rake in cash?

I never understood how greed increases with increasing wealth. You're a company that has made billions and you can't even pay to remove your own equipment? A price that must be a tiny fraction of the profits youve made.

When I used to panhandle I noticed the same thing. Poor people give more while rich people generally do not.

I just can't fathom a board of a huge corporation making all that money and then saying "We all have plenty of money, but listen here, we have cooked up a scheme to steal a Little bit more...it will take some low down, dirty dirty slimeball methods to get it done, but if we pull it off we will all be 0.002% richer. I say we go for it!"

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

You do know there is a lot of radioactive waste produced in the offshore oil industry....or any oil extraction process for that matter...
radioactive waste

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

But if it's naturally occurring what's the problem? How radioactive is it?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Ask the two headed cod!

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

This is what I call a minimal OP.

Domestic emergencies. More time next time.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

Ask the two headed cod!

Is that supposed to mean something?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I like this part of the oil story.

While watching the oilmen, Chesebrough took note of how they would smear their skin with the residue from the drill to help heal their cuts and burns.

. . . Chesebrough travelled around the state of New York in a horse and cart, spreading the word about his "miracle" product by demonstrating on himself – burning his skin with acid or an open flame and then spreading the clear petroleum jelly on his injury, showing at the same time past injuries that had healed with the aid of his protective petroleum jelly. Don’t try this at home!
www.vaseline.co.uk...

The American Indians collected oil for medicines.
www.dnr.louisiana.gov...

American Indians used petroleum for paint, fuel, and medicine. Desert nomads used it to treat camels for mange, and the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V, used petroleum it to treat his gout. Ancient Persians and Sumatrans also believed petroleum had medicinal value.
www.pafko.com...

The healthful balm, from Nature’s secret spring,
The bloom of health, and life, to man will bring;
As from her depths the magic liquid flows,
To calm our sufferings, and assuage our woes.”
www.heinzhistorycenter.org...

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Engage brain before posting please.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Ask the two headed cod!

"Ask the two headed cod"

It's a joke, and I laughed out loud when I read it.

edit on 9-12-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

Engage brain before posting please.

Disengage your head from your ass.

The person I was replying to posted a link that mentioned naturally occurring thorium and uranium being extracted along with the oil.

But the rest of it is behind a sign-up/pay wall.

Then they started talking about fish.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that poster to expand on their comments.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: watchitburn

Ask the two headed cod!

"Ask the two headed cod"

It's a joke, and I laughed out loud when I read it.

I get that.

But the "waste" is naturally occurring and pulled out of the earth.

So I'm curious about exactly how radioactive it is.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
There’s a crapload of money being taken from taxpayers, globally.
Shouldn’t this be what that money is for, instead of them claiming that they need more taxes paid out by the next generation?

Everybody is already paying for “going green” now, with the carbon taxes.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

How much radioactivity is in the wastes? Radium levels in the soil and rocks vary greatly, as do their concentrations in scales and sludges. Radiation levels may vary from background soil levels to as high as several hundred picocuries per gram (pCi/g).

API found that the highest concentrations of radioactivity are in the scale in wellhead piping and in production piping near the wellhead. Concentrations were as high as tens of thousands of picocuries per gram.

The average radium concentration in scale has been estimated to be 480 pCi/g (17.76 becquerels per gram (Bq/g)). It can be much higher (as high as 400,000 pCi/g or 14, 800 Bq/g) or lower depending on regional geology. Scale in gas wells and equipment can also contain the radon progeny lead-210 (Pb-210) and polonium-210 (Po-210) (see below).

Like contaminated scale, sludge contains more Ra-226 than Ra-228. The average concentration of radium in sludges is estimated to be 75 pCi/g (2.775 Bq/g). This may vary considerably from site to site. Although the concentration of radiation is lower in sludges than in scales, sludges are more soluble and therefore more readily released to the environment. As a result, they pose a higher risk of exposure.
www.epa.gov...

Allegedly.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The cost of getting rid of these rigs should have been collected all along from the companies as a tax. The people who buy the gas at the time should be paying for it, not our kids. We should also be properly getting rid of nuclear waste from power plants instead of passing that cost on to future generations. What is wrong with our leaders, no common sense is being used. We should have rules governing this kind of stuff world wide and collected money should go to a special world fund where governments can't borrow the money from the funds.

top topics

join