It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISRO, NASA spot black hole spinning so fast it could be making space rotate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hindustantimes.com

The Indian Space Research Organisation’s (Isro) AstroSat, India’s first dedicated astronomy satellite, in coordination with The National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (Nasa) Chandra X-ray Observatory has found that a black hole in the binary stellar system 4U 1630−47 spins at a rate that is close to the maximum possible rate

Business Insider

In 2016, India's first dedicated astronomy satellite, the AstroSat, spotted a black hole in the binary star system called 4U 1630-47, which is bursting out X-rays that astronomers found unusual. NASA's Chandra X-Ray Observatory later confirmed the outburst.

Those X-rays were caused by gas and dust falling into the black hole, which is about 10 times the mass of the sun, and they revealed to researchers that the object is spinning very, very rapidly.

In fact, according to NASA this particular black hole is spinning very close to the limit set by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, according to Rodrigo Nemmen, the lead author on the research paper. That means it is spinning close to the speed of light.

They were looking at one of the black holes in the center of the Milky Way when they measured the spin rate. They have only measured a handful black hole spin rates so far.

Einstein's theory further implies that if a black hole spinning that fast, then it is capable of making space itself rotate.

I just wanted to share this news as it seemed pretty interesting and could be one of the mechanisms of galaxy formation (I always just assumed the black holes would be created later in the process, I didn't think they were the 'seed' of the galaxies.)

Perhaps this will lead to more refined galaxy formation theories.

edit on 9-12-2018 by Elton because: Minor fix...

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Wow that is cool!

In comparison if Earth spinned that fast:

We would rotate a full day about 6 or 7 times a second!

In a whole minute the earth would rotate hundreds of times.

The sunlight would cause a flashing strobe light effect...

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Could it be CERN's fault?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
So maybe stars were spread out somewhat evenly until stellar masses collided/combined and grew until they reached black hole status, then the black holes started sucking everything down its drain, creating galaxies and also vast empty spaces between galaxies. Imagine a universe before galaxies.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
Wow that is cool!

Somehow i think we would all be really tall and there would be a hollow earth. The oceans would be in the sky. No, Im jk, I don't know what would happen to our water, or tides (but the other stuff I said was All factual science), I guess it depends what the moon is doing...? Is it going fast too? I guess the earths fast motion would gradually speed up the moon until it got flung out of orbit. Flung is a word right?
edit on 12/9/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Wow that is cool!

he cool..

I would think the earth could survive in that state in 10 seconds.. lifeforms perhaps 2 seconds

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Wow that is cool!

he cool..

I would think the earth could survive in that state in 10 seconds.. lifeforms perhaps 2 seconds

The centrifugal forces would explode the planet into dust at that speed.

That black hole has sufficient gravity to hold it together.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
yeah , everything astrophysic says is true ! If it's far away everything goes. Renormalization and still infinity , not a problem at all !

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

"The sunlight would cause a flashing strobe light effect... "

Probably not one that could be optically seen by human eyes. It would be strobing at a rate we would either see light 100% of the time or darkness 100% of the time, assuming that a human could even be alive for it.

Mathematically you would imply the on-off occurring at relativistic rates, but what that would mean for light dispersion in the system may be a little different. It could keep the necessary energy level above the bar for perception of light 100% of the time, and rotating so fast, that the cooldown period of light to no-light, never actually occurs, or vice versa.

This is something that I'd be willing to bet Einstein has addressed in his material on the subject. Since it deals with the total summation of energy in this particular system, and it's instantaneous measurements at any given free location within the system.

(post by chr0naut removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
having trouble with the idea of space itself spinning..
does that mean ALL space spins?
or only an area local to the black hole?
and if it's only a local area then what happens to the space at the edge? is there an area of space that stretches?
somethin feels off here

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

TDS.

It's a space thread. Sheesh

Orange man bad yes. We dumb. You so great.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

The space-time around the black hole is spinning, in the so called frame-dragging effect.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
So maybe stars were spread out somewhat evenly until stellar masses collided/combined and grew until they reached black hole status, then the black holes started sucking everything down its drain, creating galaxies and also vast empty spaces between galaxies. Imagine a universe before galaxies.

Lots of very hot gas ?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

I can't grasp how a rotating BH would result in creating 'space'

the expanding universe creates 'space' by the Quantam realm filling the Void made by the expansion... with things/particles popping into existence from nowhere... I think Higgs Bosons are the Grand-daddy of creation stuff

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: chr0naut

TDS.

It's a space thread. Sheesh

Orange man bad yes. We dumb. You so great.

It was a joke.

Sheesh, tough crowd...

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Fascinating stuff, even if a black hole, a mass spinning at those speeds one would think it would be flattened out into a disc shape, or sling itself apart.

Even the earth rotation speed makes this planet bulge slightly around the equator.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Fascinating stuff, even if a black hole, a mass spinning at those speeds one would think it would be flattened out into a disc shape, or sling itself apart.

Even the earth rotation speed makes this planet bulge slightly around the equator.

exactly how the flat earth was created.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'm curious as to the maximum rate of rotation? Is it simply the Rpm and circumference to Linear Velocity, having to be under ~299m kms, or is there another feature of the universe that I am not aware of?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I believe its calles frame dragging and all objects in space do it on some level.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join