It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Time running out' for seabirds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
"Thousands of seabirds are at risk from starvation unless curbs on industrial fishing in the North Sea are introduced, a wildlife charity says.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds is monitoring the number of dead birds on the UK's coastline in order to assess the health of the population"

news.bbc.co.uk...

I know from chatting to people who work in marine conservation that there has been significant concern over the future for sea birds owing to over fishing for the last few years, and some species won't adapt to living in towns and cities as easily as our friends the herring gulls.

I'm starting to see black-backed gulls in town now, which doubtless will lead to renewed calls for a cull as they are pretty big birds and strong and assertive with it.

This puzzles me really tho (and I have to say, saddens me) - what does the fishing industry & their consumers think will happen next year, or in 3 or 10 years time when there is no fish left for anyone - surely there they, if no one else has an interest in managing the fishing grounds now?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
....hrm.

Not to knock the idea that sea birds may be losing feeding grounds, but not all sea birds that live inland are inland for lack of food. Seagulls, here, come inland because idiots always feed them in parking lots. (1 hour from the coast). We have seen an increase in the stupid things becuasem they have more "feeding grounds" open to them. This is quite frequent near cities.

join