It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlottesville driver, James fields, convicted.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
This is where this liberal believes in the death penalty

Really you cave that easy? Well I guess it does make sense with double standards being standard liberal affair.Yes capital punishment is a okay when it lines up with your side of the aisle that’s the spirit.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

according to court testimony.... he drove up one time and then backed up a ways... and sat there while he checked his gps looking for alternate routes home and then went foreward towards the crowd again. he wasn't bothered while his car was sitting there. he obviously could have chosen to keep backing out of there, he had already backed up to that point and he managed to back up dragging his bumper after he collided with the group. no one was around his car till he got closer to the crowd and by then it was rather obvious what his intention was. by that time, in my opinion, someone could have taken him out with a gun hoping to avoid the disaster and put up a better defense in the courts than this guy's lawyers did!
no one knows why that road wasn't blocked off like it was supposed to be. but two other vehicles had managed to stop and avoid killing anyone before him and it was quite obvious that the road was pretty congested with pedestrians in his view while he was sitting looking at his gps.

Imo, anyone who attends these types of protests is looking for trouble and deserves whatever happens to them, regardless of what side they're on.

except, according to the testimony given in the trial, the driver of the car he plowed into was just out running a friend (or maybe relative) and her kids to a dentist appointment and back home. Imo, anyone who decides to travel across county to raise hell over a city's decision as to what should or shouldn't be on city owned and managed property prepped for war should maybe expect an outcry from the residents of the city!! of which, can you point me to any person who was seriously injured that wasn't either a resident of the city, or living very close enough to it to have friends in the city or a student of the college??? or did all the warriors get to leave pretty much intact while leaving the residents to morn their dead and recover from their serious injuries. heck one women who testified at the trial is scheduled for her SIXTH surgery next month after this lunatic ran over both her legs!!
The "well they shouldn't have been there" is getting rather old when it's the ones living in the city that is being told they shouldn't have been there!!! Their right to be there is that they live there!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
While a good part of me is happy as a lark that the guy has been convicted, there's a part of me that is rather sad. The guy was more of a kid and well, threw is whole life away.

Your right. At the end of the day, it was one impulsive, emotion driven bad choice that cost him his life and the life of another. I think of how many dumb, impulsive choices I made at his age. Lucky for me, I never had those kind of consequences from them.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well if this isn't evidence of white privilege I don't know what is! What kind of a world do we live in where a racist murders someone and gets convicted?

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

Please... Its on tape. You just made all of that up

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
no he didn't, alt-right media has been putting out videos saying this kind of thing since the trial began. I found more alt-right articles and videos about the trial than I did from what I would consider credible news sources.

Dwayne Dixon, a member of the militia-style Redneck Revolt, was called also called to testify Thursday. He testified that he saw a “gray, muscle car” around the downtown area several times.

Dixon said he did not witness the crash, because he was being interviewed at the corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets. The witness was carrying an AR-15 rifle that day, but testified he kept it “slung, muzzled-down.” He has claimed previously that he used his gun to scare off a man he believes was Fields. During his testimony, Dixon said he could not see the driver because the car had tinted windows.

The commonwealth called Steven Young, a detective with the Charlottesville Police Department, back to the witness stand after the defense rested. Young went over Fields' geo-location information from Facebook to show a timeline of the defendant's movements from that day. It appears some of those timestamps do not support Dixon's statements about where he saw the "gray, muscle car."

www.nbc29.com...

I said I would track down the story that debunks the idea that Fields was threatened by someone carrying a AR-15...

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
This is where this liberal believes in the death penalty

But yet, savage multiple rape and murder does not require the death penalty?
What about shooting a young girl (Kate Steinle) in the head on the street in public? Death penalty for that, or does a ‘not guilty’ verdict work for you in that case?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
and.... the crying nazi vows "complete and total destruction" of charlottesville and the "left" because of the conviction...

A year later, with Fields’s trial now over, Cantwell went on the social media platform Gab, known for its far-right user base, and aimed his words at “Charlottesville and the broad Left.” Fields’s conviction “will drive us toward your complete and total destruction,” he said, claiming that there are more than enough people “to put in the massive amounts of unpleasant work.”

www.washingtonpost.com...

of course, cantwell has been ordered by the courts not to return to virginia in the next 5 years, so don't expect him to assist in the destruction, he risks going to jail if he comes back!!!
edit on 9-12-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In the end there were a lot of idiots on all sides. The Nazis lol ya them, all what 8000 across America, are losers just like other hate groups looking to blame their failures in life on others.

This guy most likely got stuck in the crowd in his pride and joy car and as people started to beat on it he flipped out. I’m sure he had only 2 choices of sit there and take it, or do what he did.

Now we are still talking about idiots, so it is what it is...
edit on 9-12-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

the jurors disagreed with your theory???
sorry, but from the videos I have seen, your theory seems to be not so self evident. the actual testimonies seem to debunk it even further.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

the jurors disagreed with your theory???
sorry, but from the videos I have seen, your theory seems to be not so self evident. the actual testimonies seem to debunk it even further.

No theory here. Do you think he went down that street to run people over? Or do you think he was stuck in a crowd of people. I think he could have found better places to run people over, but I bet his car was his pride and joy and he wouldn’t want to scratch it lol.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
After the absolute circus the media made of this situation was there any other reasonable result?

By reasonable I mean after the media painted anyone that did not vilify the young man and declare his complete and total guilt and his desire to kill people as the absolute gospel truth you must be a Nazi for weeks after the death, was it even remotely reasonable to think any other result would occur?

Since he had been publicly convicted by the press, and celebrities and many people on social media, is it reasonable to assume he had no chance at a fair trial.

To be fair I did not follow this very closely so maybe I missed some obvious he is 100% guilty moment, but with the press acting the way it did I just don't see how that could be considered a fair trial, even if it was the right result.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Dwayne Dixon, a member of the militia-style Redneck Revolt, was called also called to testify Thursday. He testified that he saw a “gray, muscle car” around the downtown area several times.

The commonwealth called Steven Young, a detective with the Charlottesville Police Department, back to the witness stand after the defense rested. Young went over Fields' geo-location information from Facebook to show a timeline of the defendant's movements from that day. It appears some of those timestamps do not support Dixon's statements about where he saw the "gray, muscle car."

www.nbc29.com...

Except it doesn't debunk it; the bolded portion shows that Dixon lied about his location but fails to say where he actually saw the car. 4th and Jefferson is only 2 1/2 blocks up from the accident scene. It was a meeting place for the counter protesters and Dixon was videotaped there with his AR15 along with several other armed protesters.

I have yet to read any of the trial transcripts myself but would be very curious to see what was presented in Field's defense.
edit on 9-12-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It's the first time I've seen so many people equivocating over the motives of someone who sped into a crowd of people; there's more sympathy for Fields than for the woman he killed.

He was scared. He's young. It wasn't a fair trial. He had no choice; it was him or them - he was a victim.

He was able to reverse away from the protesters after he'd driven into them. Maybe it would have been a better idea if he'd taken that route in the first place?

The most I can say is it's a #ing shame he was so caught up in the BS that he did what he did. Yes, he is young and his life is wasted, but he'll live to be free which is more than can be said for Heather Heyer.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Never said I had sympathy just that there is almost no way he truly got a fair trial considering the amount of press coverage that went into the incident... how is it possible there wasn't jury influence? (note: once more I did not follow closely so may have missed if they let the judge decide it, in that case ignore me)

Also note at the bottom I did say even if it was the right result.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Here's Dixon admitting he pointed his rifle at Fields "a block away from the accident". 4th and Jefferson is 2 blocks away, again where was he really at during the time of the car attack?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I have to agree about the fair trial. No way could he get that in Charlottesville or with the judge who had previously convicted several men in the beating of DeAndre Harris who started the whole melee by bashing a guy in the head with a flashlight. Harris walked away with no charges and $140,000 gofundme while the other men are serving time.

This isn't to say anything of the innocence or guilt of Fields, something impossible to determine without a fair trial however.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Murder convictions are inevitable when a person drives into a crowd and someone gets killed.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

once upon a time if you were following a case you could not get on the jury for fear that the press will influence the jury rather than the evidence.

In this day and age its going to be nearly impossible to get jurors that are not influenced by the news, which is a pretty important part of our judicial system.

I have no problem with the verdict, I have a serious problem with fact the odds are high every single person on that jury had already decided he was guilty before the first piece of evidence was discussed in trial.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

In this day and age it's going to be nearly impossible to get jurors that are not influenced by the news, which is a pretty important part of our judicial system.

Agreed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join