It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another small town suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Such a terrible thing especially this time of year I live in a town of less than 12k souls and we lost another great person to their own hand, this guy was a big part of the community and he took his life before an award ceremony where he was going to be the guest of honor, fire fighter of the year. What really gets me is despite him being on the phone with a friend at the time and that friend knowing he was upset and hearing not just one but 6 gunshots (he shot at the wall before turning the gun on himself) and a moan and then nothing this “friend” couldn’t be bothered to go check on him or call in a welfare check.
It wasn’t until 18 hours later that the “friend” and the firefighters wife went to check on him to find him dead, I know the chances of it making a difference we’re almost nil but I don’t know if I could live with myself being the “friend” and not bothering to make the 10 minute drive or just pick up the damn phone to get a unit rolled out to do a welfare check. It boggles my mind how you could be so complacent and show so little concern.
This was all over a woman a fight and her leaving with the kids who now don’t have a father, and she came back in less than a day, 24 hours difference between life and death nothing is worth the misery that you put your loved ones through especially not over a relationship.

For the love of all that is good nothing is worth taking your life over, please if you’re ever having thoughts of suicide seek help and think about those you leave behind.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline (USA): 1-800-273-8255
😔

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

It's coming up on a year now since one of my daughters friends hung himself.
Still no answers on why he did it.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Sad story and happens all to often. Up north here it a very common occurance especially in young teenage kids who feel their lives will never improve. It’s quite and often boring here and it eats away at some people’s minds.
The calus disregard for a friends life that the person you mentioned had is also disheartening.

I feel sorry for your loss and for the loss of him and his family. The ripple effect of his actions will be felt by many.

edit on 6-12-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

with " freinds " like that - you dont need enemies

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

with " freinds " like that - you dont need enemies

Hell if I know I’ve driven 6 hours to look after a friend when they were suicidal it boggles my mind how hard is it to drive 10 minutes or dial three damn numbers into your phone.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Truly sad story. I'm sorry to hear this. We had a similar tragedy a couple days ago with a young girl doing it at the local school! Still no word on the reason, if it was bullying (like in school bullying) or if it was exterior factors.

I would think that with social media it would be so much easier to reach out for help or for others to see someone is in need of help. Unfortunately it seems we see just the opposite, social media can actually seem isolating & fake, too many people focused solely on themselves instead of looking at all the warning signs being thrown up by their "friends".

It would be interesting if there could be some kind of FB group where people feeling suicidal or even extremely depressed or distressed, where facebook can then kind of filter the content to not send things which might be more emotionally upsetting. I would think that with all they know about their users, they might be able to determine what issues are triggers or could effect the person more drastically. Of course this could be used in the opposite manner by driving people mad/sad and or gaslighting type behavior.

I think people just need to find one or a few people who they can openly talk to, and everyone needs to be aware that they just might be "that" person who needs to lend an ear to someone in need.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
was the "friend" and the wife,,,,,how to say this properly

were they down with other people's property?

that could explain a lot

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
was the "friend" and the wife,,,,,how to say this properly

were they down with other people's property?

that could explain a lot

Not that anyone knows of (and small towns these things tend to get around)didn’t want to go into too much detail they actually showed up individually within 5 minutes the wife came home and when the “friend” pulled up she was on her knees in the front yard losing it.

Diggin- That’s terrible I just don’t get it the pain you leave behind isn’t worth taking the “easy” way out.

Had a family member get 51-50ed recently for posting stupid suicidal crap on Facebook and of course over a woman I just don’t get it no woman is worth taking your life over.
edit on 12/6/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Losing our morality is a big part of what ails this country. The so-called friend has no value for another's life.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Wondering if the "friend" even bothered to call the wife to tell her something might have happened before she went into the house? Letting her just unknowingly walk in on either someone who is upset enough to be shooting a gun at a wall, or the aftermath of someone with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, is truly awful. Especially since it sounds like she was probably coming home with kids. I for one would never be speaking to that "friend" again.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

My good buddy was successful on his 2nd attempt. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to convince someone you love to Want to live. No matter what I would say he would just agree with me but I knew he was just trying to get me off his back about it... I don't know if there was something he wasn't telling me about, from his childhood or something recent, that made him feel this way, or if it was something in his brain that just got switched on and he couldn't ignore it.

I'm sorry to hear this happened in your town.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I don't know how many times I have heard people and seen on here People say well if he is dumb enough to kill himself good riddance! In my town a broken hearted man jumped off a bridge and a woman near me said what a disgusting guy not thinking of his Family. People have no heart! if someone is in that much pain they need help not judgement!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

A good friend took his own life this year. One thing I learned (not for the first time) is don't judge. Count your blessings and gather your loved ones around you; try not to miss those moments when compliments present themselves.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Sad story. RIP guy.

Marriage can kill you.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
My grandfather fell deeply into alcoholism and was never able to get out of that pit. He eventually took his own life one day, which promptly tore the family apart in a very literal way. My mom and my cousin blamed my grandmother and the relationships were destroyed. His actions were no one's fault. That was his decision at the time.

In hindsight, all the signs were there that something was not right, but I sure NEVER would have believed he would do such a thing. No one else did either. He was a rough, tough rancher and a cowboy. Always bigger than life when I was growing up.

The fact that my mom blamed her own mother when even she couldn't believe he would do that really made me mad. That's just an incredibly hurtful way to treat someone whose husband of 50+ years just killed himself.

new topics

top topics

join