It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buzzcocks singer Pete Shelley dies at 63

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Buzzcocks lead singer Pete Shelley has died at 63 of a suspected heart attack.

The punk band are best known for their hit, Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've).

Their management told the BBC that Shelley died on Thursday in Estonia where he was living.

BBC.com, news, 6 Dec., 2018 - Buzzcocks singer Pete Shelley dies at 63

Aw man!

Like was said in the article, more of my childhood gone.

Ever Fallen in Love..., I have this on a compilation album. When I run across it, it gets replayed several times before I allow it to move on!

Last time I saw them was on TV playing the same song. It still sounds good. Lots of influence upon impressionable young ears.

Punk's not dead, but it is starting to show its age...

RIP, Pete Shelley!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
[GAH! Real world butting in... sorry to post and run but have a meeting I have to go to... like now]

Feel free to post vids, memories, etc. I trust you guys at ATS to not trash a thread like this!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Damn, terrible news. One of my heroes from my youth. Here's one of my faves - RIP Pete

edit on 12 6 2018 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Yeah, horrible and depressing and another huge reminder of lost youth, as if us old punks needed it... but it wasn't ol' Pete's fault.

He'd likely say he just got out before the party got even worse ... and he'd be right.

We're all gonna be where he is... or isn't.. . it's just a matter of how long you wanna crap your knickers and pinch nurses. Oui!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Thanks for the vid!!

We’re the songs short because they were beautiful or beautiful because they were short?!!

a reply to: Baddogma

Yeah, we’re on the highway to hell!

My graying hair stands testament to that! Sorry, didn’t mean to go all emo on you! (lol! It’s not emo, it’s goth!!)

Up the company labels!

Nice HW bookends. This is ours! We celebrate our own!!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
RIP Pete.
They were in the first wave of British punk. I still have their vinyl.

Steve Diggle was on Jonesy's Jukebox a while back. Some good stories.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Started my first band in '80 right out of high school. We'd be in the garage hammering out covers of all our favorite songs including this one -

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

The Buzzcocks "ever fallen in love" was one of my favourite Punk songs back in the day along with the Undertones "teenage kicks" , they were the perfect soundtrack for a young teenage Punk Rocker at war with the world and infatuated with a certain girl , I ended up getting the girl and a thick lip from her ex boyfriend ... but it was worth it.

Pete Shelley was a legend , I'm deeply saddened at his passing at just 63.

And it's still a great song.

Thanks TEO.

RiP Pete , gone but never forgotten.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The Guardian has an unpublished interview with Pete about the writing of Ever Fallen in Love which is a rather good read.

Pete Shelley on making Buzzcocks' masterpiece Ever Fallen in Love.

The also talk to Malcom Garrett, album designer, about the art work and the feeling in the air at the time.

Good stuff! Reminds of running from record shop to record shop looking for any reading material on the punk scene. Ah, young, and skinny, and dumb... the good ol' days!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

It was three years after the Sex Pistols’ first gig but things change really fast. The Fine Young Cannibals 1988 version of Ever Fallen in Love got to No 9, which was three places higher than ours. Does that irritate me? I guess so, yes [laughs]. But their version financed our comeback, just like John Lydon’s butter advert financed Public Image Ltd’s.

Would love to have met him , the stories he could tell about those early tours would probably make yer toes curl.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The White Riot Tour would have been a good time to be a fly on the wall!

The line up sounds like heaven to me! Probably a sweaty, loud, PITA, in reality, but still would love have been there!

You will find me and my time machine in the old photos!!

ETA: Switched vid to a live version because I can! Love the audience singing along...
edit on 7-12-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Live: Festival Marvin CDMX 2018

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

That's a cool video , put a smile on my face.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

To salute Shelley and the boys I'm going out right now to buy a "pack of king size cigarettes".

(Times up)
ONE of my favorites
"Sitting in the waiting room, Waiting the sitting room..."
Defined date night perfectly

out to my shop put onThe Buzzcocks and smoke a few.
Rest in Peace Mr Shelley

new topics

top topics

join