It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegan and anger

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
So I have a question. Please no nasty responses!

I am a vegan simply for my own personal values. I don't say much about it and only talk about it when someone asks me about it. I don't go around feeling or acting like I am better than anyone and I never say a word about what other people chose to eat. So why is it that someone will ask me a question about it and once I answer it's like an all-out war. I don't feel that I need to defend my own personal choices and I don't expect anyone else too. But it's always the same... first all the questions, then the odd looks, then the self defense mode... Furthermore, lately it's been really getting to me that I actually live in a world where I'm forced to argue with people about the fact that animals shouldn't be harmed... really? What happened to values and kindness? Why is everyone so angry?

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

This. 100%.

@OP: Self-Defense mode? Why would someone asking you a question about eating preferences become defensive? Prolly cause you went all-out, raging on about veganism and you made them uncomfortable. Sounds like projection — you make people uncomfortable ‘talking’ (sounds more like an argument) about your choice and veganism.

edit on Thu Dec 6 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I'm forced to argue with people about the fact that animals shouldn't be harmed... really?

We as a civilization,wouldn't be sitting here right now if we never killed or ate meat.
First man used to scavenge from predators and get their leftovers.
We then learned to hunt and kill and hence we survived.
A simple fact you might not have thought of.

Thank the meat eaters that you are sitting here today and have the freedom to have the choice not to eat it.
In the old days of mankind...you'd be dead.

I respect your choice but you might want to get your facts straight first.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cravens

originally posted by: watchitburn

How can you tell if someone is a vegan?

They'll tell you.

This. 100%.

@OP: Self-Defense mode? Why would someone asking you a question about eating preferences become defensive? Prolly cause you went all-out, raging on about veganism and you made them uncomfortable. Sounds like projection — you make people uncomfortable ‘talking’ (sounds more like an argument) about your choice and veganism.

Absolutely not. It always begins innocently enough and with some interesting questions. I usually just walk away. I'm not projecting at all and I never bring up the subject. I don't just go around telling people. This is exactly what I'm asking.. why get all defensive about my food choices? I mean I had one person ask me what I eat, I started naming some stuff and she basically sighed and said "Ya well I like steak!" and she was literally aggravated! I don't get it.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I'm forced to argue with people about the fact that animals shouldn't be harmed... really?

We as a civilization,wouldn't be sitting here right now if we never killed or ate meat.
First man used to scavenge from predators and get their leftovers.
We then learned to hunt and kill and hence we survived.
A simple fact you might not have thought of.

Thank the meat eaters that you are sitting here today and have the freedom to have the choice not to eat it.
In the old days of mankind...you'd be dead.

I respect your choice but you might want to get your facts straight first.

Thanks! I do realize that and... I didn't actually list any facts, nor will I, so I'm not sure why you'd say that.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Furthermore, lately it's been really getting to me that I actually live in a world where I'm forced to argue with people about the fact that animals shouldn't be harmed.

It's ideology, no different from many others.

Personally I agree that there is a hierarchy of sentient beings on this planet, some not too far from others.

Several studies have proven plants communicate, and a few have suggested they even have emotion.

For me, my morality doesn't take a hit from eating meat so long as the animal was killed in a humane way.

Kudos to the folks who go out of their way to be veterinarian or vegan, but I'll never do it unless they make lab meat taste as good, which I doubt will be in my lifetime.

And at the end of the day, the commercial level they have to do crops, don't kid yourself at thinking either animals were displaced or killed during harvest.

We all have beliefs, kudos to yours, just understand mine won't change either.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Furthermore, lately it's been really getting to me that I actually live in a world where I'm forced to argue with people about the fact that animals shouldn't be harmed.

It's ideology, no different from many others.

Personally I agree that there is a hierarchy of sentient beings on this planet, some not too far from others.

Several studies have proven plants communicate, and a few have suggested they even have emotion.

For me, my morality doesn't take a hit from eating meat so long as the animal was killed in a humane way.

Kudos to the folks who go out of their way to be veterinarian or vegan, but I'll never do it unless they make lab meat taste as good, which I doubt will be in my lifetime.

And at the end of the day, the commercial level they have to do crops, don't kid yourself at thinking either animals were displaced or killed during harvest.

We all have beliefs, kudos to yours, just understand mine won't change either.

Nah, I'm not trying to change anyone's beliefs at all
I respect yours too!

I've read a couple of things about plants being intelligent too but, they have no nervous system, and no brain, and for the most part are immobile and unable to defend themselves. And they grow back so.. I mean if they really had those kinds of emotions, mowing the grass or even walking on your lawn would be tragic!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
How long can you survive without supplements?

All those exotic super foods and natural supplements, ever thought about how they get to you and how it harms the environment?

I´ll pick that local grown tender calf meat anyday over some fake poison ladden sausages, schnitzels and what not.

A little example of some vegan stupidy:
Lately I got an email from a vegan where you actually see cows being slaughtered alive. All the rage and I agree this is cruel. But guess what, it´s the "halal" way and all the muslim refugees she endorses to come here. Because they act so civil...

Sure, this is only one individual example.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If you had a cow translation device moo would translate to: "please kill me and take me out of my misery, being a cow really sucks, please kill me."

So as you can see, us meat eaters are only doing these animals a favor.

Now to be less silly, I have never gave a # if anyone is a vegan. Never will. Just don't be preachy about it and have some humor about these things. No one knows the "answer.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I've read a couple of things about plants being intelligent too but, they have no nervous system, and no brain, and for the most part are immobile and unable to defend themselves. And they grow back so.. I mean if they really had those kinds of emotions, mowing the grass or even walking on your lawn would be tragic!

Believe it or not, I actually love nature with every ounce of me. I would feel more emotion if I saw a dog on the side of a road than a human. I care for pets more than I care for humans because I think they're more innocent. I watch nature documentaries all the time and take advantage of the great outdoors. I have also had "spiritual journeys" in the great outdoors and feel connected through that. I'm pretty far from a hippy though, at the end of the day my personality test has me 20 for logic, 0 for emotion as far as contrast haha.

I do believe plants have emotion for lack of a better term, we just don't understand how that is yet.

Either way, at the end of the day, there is a circle of life, one that I must come atone with myself one day.

All that said, some people aren't good at handling vast differences in people, too bad for them.

Variety is the spice of life.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
First you say,

I don't go around feeling or acting like I am better than anyone

Then you prove yourself wrong.

Furthermore, lately it's been really getting to me that I actually live in a world where I'm forced to argue with people about the fact that animals shouldn't be harmed

Sounds to me like you are not telling the true story.

No one is forcing you to argue, I get the feeling it is the other way around.

I have vegans as family members. They are the only ones who bring it up, constantly.

I dont care what anyone eats, screws or worships.

Just don't virtue signal your perceived superiority and we will get along just great.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Well you're the one who came in here ranting and raving about people hassling you about being vegan.

Personally, I've never seen that happen where someone was asked if they were a vegan. Or initiated an argument over it.
So excuse me if I'm skeptical of your claims.

But I have seen the reverse where vegans feel compelled to let everyone know they are vegan and tell them what horrible people they are for eating meat.

And your over the top response to my first post just reinforces that perception.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I recommend you just tell them to go # themselves....you'd be surprised how often it makes people stop questioning you.

Or just...stop getting offended when people question the things you do because their opinions on the things you eat or your reasons for eating them mean nothing....to be fair so do your opinions on why you eat the things you do.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's the guilt of the carnivore.
I'm sure that's where the anger comes from.
They think you think, you are better than them.
And maybe you are, in this respect.
That you've risen above the need to kill living, breathing, thinking organisms by finding alternatives.
Not everyone has taken the time to do that.

So that "I'l just have my big fat juicy burger wrapped in bacon" response is purely defensive, and self justification.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

There ya go

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I have a lot of vegan friends and I can honestly answer your question.

A lot of Vegans can be militant. They are super harsh and in your face and spew gross facts when you are enjoying your
bloody steak. It is your opinion that animals shouldn't be harmed for food, it is others opinion that there is a food chain and it's ok to eat animals. I personally think it shouldn't be talked about, just like sexual preference.

edit on 6-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Kudos to the folks who go out of their way to be veterinarian...

Small animal or equine?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Kudos to the folks who go out of their way to be veterinarian...

Small animal or equine?

I just spit out my horse burger

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join