It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois is at the point of no return

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Just over a decade ago my family and I made the most gut wrenching decision of our lives. We left our home, Illinois.
It took us a full year to get over the move. At the time we didn't know if we were making the right decision.
In hindsight It was the best decision of our lives! We got out in the nick of time.

We have saved around 70K in those ten years in property taxes alone! Yes, that's 5,800 extra per year just for not living in Illinois!
The state is very near the point where people just don't have the money to pay those taxes.
A family member lives in a normal house, their property taxes this year is over 12K!!!!!!!!!!
My MIL house has a manufactured home (just a step up from trailer house) and her taxes are 6K! I'm just talking about property taxes,
add in sales tax, fees, costs, tolls. How can anyone survive there?

So the question is, Who will bail out Illinois when they do collapse?
Oh, and they will, it is coming......

www.dailyherald.com...
'This is our last resort': Geneva teachers' strike will continue Wednesday

www.wirepoints.com...
That Crazy Statewide Property Tax For Illinois Pensions Idea Is Alive

www.ilnews.org... 2691f0.html

Financial planner: Buy out-of-state property for retirement to avoid Illinois’ property taxes
www.ilnews.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Many people after next year are going to freak out when they can't write that expense off to the feds. It was one of the greatest scams in all history.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Dang, I had no idea it was as bad as all that. Amazing stuff! For retirement, we bought a little house in rural BFE west texas. Property and school (escuela) taxes are $1,100.00 a year and falling as the public school system continuously shrinks. (private schools and home schooling ascendant).

Illinois........its been nice to know you.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
If they could somehow get rid of Chicago, they'd basically be Indiana, right?

How do we move forward with that?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
If they could somehow get rid of Chicago, they'd basically be Indiana, right?

How do we move forward with that?

Not quite, some of the metro areas actually have higher taxes than Cook County (Chicago)

All the bordering states are trying to lure workers but many people are having such a hard time selling their houses.
I know a couple of people that commute from Chicago to Milwaukee on a daily basis. (not a fun commute)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I'll be outta Hellinois as soon as I sell my shop and house. Crippling taxes will run us business and home owners out. This sniphole will be bankrupt very soon!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just remember everyone.
Bailouts are bad.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Just remember everyone.
Bailouts are bad.

I'm very curious to see how this plays out. We should not bail them out. A lot that has happened in Illinois is due to
absolute corruption.

I'll give you a perfect example of how corrupt it is.
My friend got a traffic ticket. It was in error. They went to dispute it. The disputing costs were more than the actual cost of the ticket. Which one would you pay?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

This sh**hole is WAY past bankrupt.
203 billion and counting....

www.illinoispolicy.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The gangs will inherit Illinois.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
In 2015, Illinois voters took the extraordinary step of electing a REPUBULICAN governor (Bruce Rauner). He implemented measures that started to make the state more fiscally responsible. (No new taxes. Lower spending)

In 2018, Illinois voters kicked Bruce Rauner out, because he implemented measures that started to make the state more fiscally responsible. (Lower spending)

We (not me though!) replaced Republican Bruce Rauner with Democrat J.B. Pritzker.
chicago.suntimes.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Gave orientation this morning for 3 people, 2 of them from Illinois that are moving here to Southwest Michigan over Christmas.

Slight pay cut one guy said but a better life over all.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Born and raised in Chicago, moved to central IL. Its stupid. My taxes are affordable, but I am the lucky few. I now live in a small rural town right outside of one of the major cities in Central IL. Even that city has taxes comparable to Chicagoland area. Works well for us to live in a small town but still commute only 15 minutes to an economic city.

At least my area doesn't have the good ole sugar tax of Cook County. Because taxing pop is going to fix all of our problems.

There are memes are there that I see a lot dividing IL into several parts. We will fall further because we get that point.
edit on 6-12-2018 by headorheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Unfortunately I live in Illinois and in Crook I mean Cook county. My wife and I had our sights on a small farmette in sw Wisconsin in 2016 which with 38 acres of land was on sale for $270,000 the price of an 1800 sq. Foot house with maybe a 1/4 acre of land in my area. Big difference.
However my wife discovered her breast cancer which had been in remission had metastasized into her bones and liver just before we pulled the trigger on the move. Needless to say now because of her treatment we had to stay. Luckily we sold our home and now are renting a small apartment which has a rent exceeding what our mortgage payments were before and would have been with the purchase of the Wisconsin property.
Illinois is a pirate state! Stealing hard earned dollars from its residents in oh so many creative ways. The incoming new governor has said he wants to institute a tax on leaving the state as well as proposing a tax on every mile driven by residents. This state sucks!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Gave orientation this morning for 3 people, 2 of them from Illinois that are moving here to Southwest Michigan over Christmas.

Slight pay cut one guy said but a better life over all.

I was raised in SW Michigan (St.Joe/Benton Harbor) but relocated to the Chicago area after college...for job reasons.

Now, my wife is retiring. we were back there looking at homes this past weekend. Nice properties by the new Golf Course. Prices are increasing, due to people leaving Illinois for Michigan, it seems.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Most states would love a mileage tax then have a baseline mileage tax on each vehicle so you pay by the month wether you use it or not.

When younger i made my own license plates for my motorcycle for years with 3D printing anyone could do it. I make my own beach passes the summer help never checks the number just the color.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: americanbuffalo1

The incoming new governor has said he wants to institute a tax on leaving the state

Wow, how bad is it that you have to scare people into staying. A leave tax??? CRAZY
Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope she has a speedy recovery!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I live in Cook County just outside of Chicago. My taxes on my 1800 sqft bungalow will probably be about $14,000 this year. The house may be worth $500k. Not much more than I paid for it 14 years ago. The taxes when I bought it were maybe $8k. So my tax bill has almost doubled, but the value of my home has been stagnant. The community is great but I don't see where that additional $6k/yr I am paying is going.

I'd move but to be honest, I love the community in which I live even though the liberal / commies here sometimes drive me crazy. Also, it would be much harder to move with small children and careers. I think we'd be giving up too much in regards to education and other cultural / intangible things by moving away at this point.

The politicians have been in bed with the unions and so we are struggling to pay for other people's cushy retirement packages. This is why unions in the public sector should be illegal.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I'm an Illinois insurance broker. Our Republican governor approved the new lower-priced Association-based health insurance plans approved by the Trump Administration, this past Summer. That business is booming, as people choose that health insurance over ObamaCare.

The Democrat-led state legislature just overrode the governor on November 28th, and restricted the use of those plans, to force people back to ObamaCare. (Ex. Husband/Wife on Association Health plan = $572 @ month. ObamaCare = $1,250 @ month. They will go un-insured in 2019 rather than pay that much.)
edit on 12/6/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

We might be neighbors

Looking to move south 20 -30 miles but stay in Michigan. Maybe 3 Oaks

edit on 6-12-2018 by mikell because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join