It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SNL writer gets yanked of stage at Columbia for being too offensive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Nimesh Patel, comedian, Emmy Award nominated writer, and the first Indian-American writer for SNL, was performing stand-up comedy last Friday for an event hosted by Columbia University’s Asian American Alliance (AAA). But mid-set, the 32-year-old was removed from the stage because his jokes were making some audience members uncomfortable.

The event was called cultureSHOCK: Reclaim, but apparently attendees neither wanted a shock nor to reclaim anything, as Patel’s treatment shows.

Patel’s set focused on his experiences growing up in a diverse neighborhood in New York City, according to the student newspaper the Columbia Spectator. But when he made a joke about a gay, black man he knew growing up, things turned sour. Patel joked that being gay couldn’t possibly be a choice because “no one looks in the mirror and thinks, ‘this black thing is too easy, let me just add another thing to it.’”

The Spectator reported that 30 minutes into Patel’s set, AAA members “interrupted the performance, denounced his jokes about racial identities and sexual orientation, and provided him with a few moments for closing remarks.” The report added that Patel’s jokes about sexual orientation received fewer laughs from the audience.

Patel stood his ground when asked to leave. He said he identified with Asian Americans, insisted his jokes weren’t offensive, and that these ideas were found “in the real world.” This was too much for the Columbia snowflakes, and Patel’s microphone was cut.

www.dailywire.com...

Its easy to laugh at the schadenfreude, that SNL, a former place of coemdy that now is a poligtical mouth piece that tries to make people chuckle, would have one of their writers be removed by a campus for trying to tell jokes and not being PC enough.

And yes, I did laugh.

But it is also sad.

I have a special place for comedy. I defend it on both the left and wrote and preferably comedy that is apolitical.

This joke was so benign and hilariously sort of a left leaning joke. He says he knew a gay black man, and being gay couldnt be a choice, because a guy wouldnt say "geez being black isnt hard enough, so I will be gay as well" In other words, the world treats gay people and black people like garbage.

But even that was too much for the students at columbia.

They announced this was not good, and allowed him a chance to give closing remarks to apologize. he didnt, and his mic was cut.

I miss comedy. Lenny Bruce, Bill hicks, George Carlin, Doug Stanhope; edgy comedy that pushed the line.

what happened? Now it all about going along to get along, not challenging the cultrual class that is left wing, and groveling toward them within your comedy.

Even one of my heroes, the great Norm MacDonald was recently forced to bow down to the sjw mob.

IN general, College kids are doing themselves no favors by refusing to be exposed to challenging ideas.

But with comedy in particular, what a huge loss for them. Laughter, particularly at the expense of yourself, is one of the most refreshing, humiliating, great feelings in the world, and can help carry you through life so much.

Perhaps this event will have this snl writer think about the type of comedy he has done, and how that may have contributed to this mindset that even mild jokes are too offensive.

edit on 4-12-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Not surprised.

When I was in college, Paul Mooney did a show. Let's just say he pissed off every student in that auditorium.

This was before the internet was a big thing...maybe 1994. There were a few critical articles written in the student newspaper regarding how offensive he was... I don't think he would have been able to do that show today.
edit on 4-12-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Not surprised.

When I was in college, Paul Mooney did a show. Let's just say he pissed off every student in that auditorium.

Mooney!

He is great. Certainly has a talent for going after everyone.

I got to see Dave chappelle with Charlie murphy opening for him when I was in college.

I wonder what sort of reaction they would get today?

Most of murphies set was commenting on how a noisy white kid in the crowd probably was noisy to compensate for not being as well endowed as mr murphy.

Crude, racial stereotyped, mocking an individual.

Hilarious!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Few more years and comedy will be dead and "comedy clubs" will be more of "late night political lectures" with an occasional laugh track played.

It's sad.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I don't like the PC ethos thanks to countless instances of censorship like this.

SNL has not been watchable for me for years. Most everything actually. It's unfortunate.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Few more years and comedy will be dead and "comedy clubs" will be more of "late night political lectures" with an occasional laugh track played.

It's sad.

The funny part is I think most comedians, particularly edgy ones, are left leaning.

Someone like chris rock or jerry seinfield seem genuinely shocked at how they get treated on campuses, and thats why they wont do those shows anymore.

Comedy will be like speak easies in prohibition;

You will go down some alley into a smoky room, through a basement door, and then some guy will be there telling a fat joke or something. Then you can relax and laugh at offensive jokes, until the puritanical left finds out about your comedy hangout and comes and busts it up with an axe.

What a great society we are heading towards!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Thats just sad. And a little bit pathetic. I weep for the future of this once great country.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I was literally going to say I should open up a prohibition style comedy club! No holds barred!

Easily offended need not enter!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Boy O boy are these kids in for a treat. If you can't take a joke as a college aged adult, take a step back and get ready for life.

No one is off limits when it's joke time for a comedian, after all, that's their job.

If some things were off limits, that would be discrimination, which I've heard is bad.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: MisterSpock

It's sad.

The funny part is I think most comedians, particularly edgy ones, are left leaning.

Someone like chris rock or jerry seinfield seem genuinely shocked at how they get treated on campuses, and thats why they wont do those shows anymore.

You will go down some alley into a smoky room, through a basement door, and then some guy will be there telling a fat joke or something. Then you can relax and laugh at offensive jokes, until the puritanical left finds out about your comedy hangout and comes and busts it up with an axe.

What a great society we are heading towards!

This is how offensive Paul Mooney was.... the show was Spelman College. An all girls, historically black college. He pissed off every one of the sisters. To be honest, the only thing I remember is him saying light skinned black women are "half-breeds".

I recently discovered Bill Burr. He is now one of my favorites of all time.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The best part of it all is...his joke was defending black and gay people.....

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Ok, I'm going to see a comedian. My expectations are: to not be offended, surprised, made to feel uncomfortable, shocked, upset, but somehow that sob better find a way to make me laugh.

Dont ask me how.

He doesn't know what I will find funny and what will get his ass thrown out, so, he better just play it real safe. I'm talking jokes weve all heard before, the kind where my brain knows when and where I'm supposed to laugh because I already know the punchline as soon as the joke starts.

Now THAT'S good old fashioned comedy! I'm talking about a nice story about a clown who gets a pie in the face.. oh actually...that COULD be offensive in a few different ways...

Ok what about the chicken who crossed the road? We can have some REALLY good chuckles about- oh whats that? Oh yeah, vegitarians...and animal rights... maybe thats not such a good joke now that I think of it...

Ok who wants to hear a good old knock-knock joke? A knock knock joke is where you have one person pretends to knock on the door and then You say "whos there?" because someone is at your door, and you don't know who they are, it could be anybody, isnt that exciting?

Well, now that I think of it... the prospect of an unknown, unexpected, unannounced visitor coming to your home, your ultimate Safe Space, and VIOLENTLY hitting your door with their fist? That could make some people Very uncomfortable... Sounds like the beginning of a Stephen King movie!

Ok just foget jokes period... theyre SCARY!!

THIS is the difference between us and them. Its not just that they have a "different" view of the world. They're literally idiots. That's what it is.

Look at the hooplah over Baby Its Cold Outside and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. This is not the behavior of a smart person. A smart person realizes that there are much bigger priorities. This is the concern of someone who does not have the intellect to tackle any problems that matter so they struggle to remain relevant by pointing out these miniscule controversies.
edit on 12/4/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Boy O boy are these kids in for a treat. If you can't take a joke as a college aged adult, take a step back and get ready for life.

No one is off limits when it's joke time for a comedian, after all, that's their job.

If some things were off limits, that would be discrimination, which I've heard is bad.

Yep. Back in 2007, I went to a place called the Funny Bone, it was a comedy club and the comedian asked if there was someone there named Brandt there. Brant's dad was friends with this guy, I forget Brandt's last name, anyways he tells Brandt to stand up and gives him a shout out and Brandt is all excited, then the comedian points at the other guy we went with and asked him to stand up. So he gets recognition, then the comedian says "Everybody congratulate them," so we all start clapping, then he says "yep, they just started dating each other" and the packed house screamed out in laughter while they screamed "AWE MAN, NAH!" Nobody was offended.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sounds like a self inflicted wound.

Hmmm they are eating themselves, interesting.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Sounds like a self inflicted wound.

I'd argue, but he agreed to do a college. It's good pay, but as Joe Rogan has said it's not worth it for curtailing an act.

Hmmm they are eating themselves, interesting.

Eh, kids don't count as "them" for any other group than kids.

Most college aged kids, specifically the spoon fed ones, don't have a clue whats going on. The only reason they claim any ideology is for brownie points (most of them, some are very intelligent and worked to get where they are).

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Nobody was offended.

Nor should they have been, it's a comedians job to make jokes.

Usually it comes from a place on ripping on whats wrong with society, and not from malice.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Yep. Back in 2007, I went to a place called the Funny Bone, it was a comedy club and the comedian asked if there was someone there named Brandt there. Brant's dad was friends with this guy, I forget Brandt's last name, anyways he tells Brandt to stand up and gives him a shout out and Brandt is all excited, then the comedian points at the other guy we went with and asked him to stand up. So he gets recognition, then the comedian says "Everybody congratulate them," so we all start clapping, then he says "yep, they just started dating each other" and the packed house screamed out in laughter while they screamed "AWE MAN, NAH!" Nobody was offended.

A rule of mine is to never ever sit in the front row... especially at a black comedian's show. Your ass is likely to get roasted.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: LSU2018

A rule of mine is to never ever sit in the front row... especially at a black comedian's show. Your ass is likely to get roasted.

Yeah my comebacks aren't usually witty enough until about 5 minutes later. Lol

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I said a long way back, "Their ideology will lead to cannibalism and they will end up eating their own.". That was when the PC/SJW madness started ramping up and low and behold...

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
AAAAAahahahahaha...

eat each other alive.!!!

When the original braintrust of identity politics started their game, I can't help but imagine that they all thought they would be immune.

When you play with basic human psychology, you get basic human reactions. Self-importance has no party.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join