It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Case of active shooter at school throw hockey pucks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ok, did you read that and laugh? I did.

This is what a school in Detroit is telling kids to do.

For Defense Against Active Shooters, University Hands Out Hockey Pucks

www.npr.org...

The police chief also suggested that a group of students could "rush" an active shooter with their pucks, creating a distraction that would allow someone else to get their hands on the shooter's weapon.

Hmmmmmmmmm gun against hockey puck......

So here's the thing, I think If I were in a school in Japan, or Amish or something I'd be OK with this hockey puck scenario. I could feel confident that the majority of student/teachers would actually defend themselves and maybe even sacrifice themselves for the survival of the group. Unfortunately I do not think this is the case in Detroit, or where I live or most other schools in the US.

The faculty union followed up on the idea, purchasing 2,500 hockey pucks: 800 for union members and 1,700 for students, the Free Press reports.

I find it interesting they had that kind of money for pucks. I would be curious how old their school books are. I could think of 100 other things this money could go toward. 100 problems that are actually happening now, you know like clean drinking water, outdated books, failing heaters, outdated computer..

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Active shooter so far has been taken down by bullets. But, you never know...

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Ohhhh my.....

Yes let’s throw that instead of doing anything else.
I would like to make myself a target please......

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
If your unarmed as in no gun your only option is to run as fast as you can and use line of sight to avoid getting shot. If the shooter can see you he can’t effectivly shoot you.

If you are armed and you find yourself in this situation well don’t give your self away but act swiftly and with intent. Don’t shout just deliver.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I’m guessing that someone on the faculty union board of directors owns a manufacturing company or has stock in a company that manufactures hockey pucks.

Or maybe they recently bought the contents of a storage unit and needed to liquidate.
edit on 3-12-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Makes as much sense as having a box of rocks in a school in Pennsylvania, doesn't it?

I find it somewhat amusing, amusing as in sitting here shaking my head at the utter and complete stupidity of it all.

...another thought occurs, yes I have multiple thoughts upon occasion, that where did they get the money for hockey pucks, but they plead, I'm sure, that they've not enough money for anything else--like heat...books, you know, that important stuff.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Well now having a box of rocks in every classroom actually makes more sense.

Good idea!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

To be fair, putting a shooter in a defensive mind set, no matter what you are pelting them with, is a good tactic--generally speaking, when you are in a defensive mindset, you will not be in an offensive one. And if there are enough pucks coming at the shooter in quick succession, I can see that it would be a good element to delay carnage. And puck ARE heavy, so one luckily thrown puck could do some good damage.

That said, suggesting that a student should attempt a firearm disarm during an active shooter is a probable recipe for disaster.

Here's a better idea--have some armed individuals already in random classroom who might be able to neutralize the threat instead of just delay or anger the threat further. Yes, they should be exceptionally trained and retrained, but they should exist if they are willing to take on the heavy responsibility.

But I'll tell you, if I'm in an active-shooter scenario and I can't escape and don't have my firearm, you better believe that anything and everything that is not screwed down will be a weapon for me.

Asking for a friend, though...does DeSantis make a puck holster?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Let's be realistic here.

Kids need bullet proof vests and kevlar helmets.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I'd say Detroit school admin ARE a box of rocks.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
Let's be realistic here.

No, they don't--they need to quit having fear instilled in them as if an active-shooter situation happens in a large amount of schools per year. They don't--statistically speaking, it's a non-issue (although I understand the real-world impact on lives).

My point being, they do not need to be outfitted for war on the tiny chance that some crazed lunatic is going to shoot up their school.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Let's be realistic here.

Also, give all of them guns. Then give their guns guns to protect their guns. Only then will they be safe.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Looks like a shooter there will be pucked.

Don't most kids in Detroit already have a gun and probably in school?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Nah just install automated sentry turrets around the school that use AI to detect the shape of a gun and gunfire and are programmed to immediately eliminate any target that looks like it could have a gun. Sure there might be some false positives but better safe than sorry.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ya know, we are talking Detroit....Robocop any one? What was that machine that whacked everyone at the beginning? Shirley they have a working version by now.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Could setup claymore mines in the hallways as well.
Those work great at stopping shooters

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

multiple rounds will tear through flesh and bone, nobody wins. A group assault head on is asking to get murdered point blank. Do I need to continue with the negativity or am I getting the point across?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Let's be realistic here.

My point being, they do not need to be outfitted for war on the tiny chance that some crazed lunatic is going to shoot up their school.

I somewhat agree... the chances of it happening to any one individual is tiny. But still, school shootings do occur at a far higher rate in the US than any other first world country.

So... it's just an inevitable fact, that in the very near future, their will be another completely random mass school shooting in the US.

It's statistically highly unlikely that one of the victims will be you or one of your family members... But, it's gonna happen and someone's going to be unlucky enough to become the highly unlikely statistic.

edit on 3-12-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
They dont give a puck about your kids. They only do stuff like this to make it seem like they tried. Like someone else said. Someone has some hockey puck manufacturing stocks or something.

They hardly even got trained officers to enter the building during a shooting. Why would they think a bunch of students could work together strategically long enough to overcome such a feat.

"Distract long enough to disarm" more like get shot while all the people you thought would help are running

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join