It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA says it will NOT repay underpaid GI Bill benefit recipients

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Earlier this month VA officials told a House committee that they would reimburse veterans who received less than the full amount they were due. However now, they have changed their tune. The reason they gave was because if they gave back payment it would delay future payments.

According to the aides, however, the VA said it could not make retroactive payments without auditing its previous education claims, which it said would delay future claims. The aides asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Here is a little more information

NBC News previously reported that some veterans were forced into desperate financial straits stemming from a change in calculating housing allowances under the Forever GI Bill, which President Donald Trump signed into law in July 2017. When its computers were unable to process that change, the VA quickly faced a backlog of veterans’ claims three times higher than normal.

Because of those issues, the VA had announced earlier on Wednesday that it would delay the Forever GI Bill housing allowance changes until Dec. 2019 — and again promised that retroactive payments would be made to those who did not receive a correct amount.

But VA officials told congressional staffers in a telephone call on Wednesday morning that once the system is made right next year, they will not make retroactive payments to those who were underpaid because of the housing miscalculations.

"They are essentially going to ignore the law and say that that change only goes forward from Dec. 2019," one aide told NBC News.

The reason the VA decided that it would not make the retroactive payments is because it would have to audit all its previous education claims prior to Dec. 2019, meaning the VA would potentially have to inspect 2 million claims, the aide said.

Personally, I think this is ridiculous. These men and women put their lives on the line for the rest of us. The least we can do is make sure they get the benefits coming to them.

I don't care who is to blame but somebody needs to fix this debacle. This isn't right.

LINK

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

According to the aides, however, the VA said it could not make retroactive payments without auditing its previous education claims, which it said would delay future claims. The aides asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

🍋🖐
edit on Nov-28-2018 by xuenchen because: 👋

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Just goes to show even if you go fight wars and risk your life to enrich our owners they still treat you like dirt, once a pleb always a pleb.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I think this is just delaying the payment so it doesn't take away the help and resources to make sure other onboard claims get paid properly. I read a small article about this but did not pay too much attention to how this was going to happen.

I didn't think they were going to cancel the payment, just defer it down the road a bit.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Post removed by Staff

~snip~

Look, I could have made a case for this being Trump's fault, I have in the past. But you know what? I care more about our veterans getting the benefits they deserve than arguing politics with numb skulls like you. Once this issue moved away from delayed to NEVER getting their money it transcends politics. At that point it becomes a matter of national outrage.

If you want to argue politics I will happily oblige you on a number of other topics. However, if you notice I rarely respond to you because you never say anything intelligent enough to respond to. It's always some one-liner that barely has any thought behind it.

So, like I said, you go work on that and let the adults talk because you haven't matured that far yet.
edit on 11/29/2018 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
So situation normal all F-d up with the VA...

wouldn't it be swell if congress did their bloody job and dove into that mess of an organization and tried to actually make it functional.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I think this is just delaying the payment so it doesn't take away the help and resources to make sure other onboard claims get paid properly. I read a small article about this but did not pay too much attention to how this was going to happen.

I didn't think they were going to cancel the payment, just defer it down the road a bit.

I can't find anything that states that. If so, that would be much better than what this article states.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I can't find anything that states that. If so, that would be much better than what this article states.

This article says it different than what the news said it was. Same date, almost the same info. www.nbcnews.com...

The article I read was a couple days ago which was saying they would not be able to pay by the deadline or something.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

You're really sad. I barely post here now because of this sociopathic anti-Trump crap. It's really sad. I hope you find some kind of peace. Best of luck in 2020.

Sad, really wow. You let anti Trump posts on a public forum affect you so much you don't want to post anymore, you should go sit in the corner with the other kids...
edit on 29-11-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   
So after looking at this from a better source (Military.com) it states that:

The Post-9/11 GI Bill allowance is set to match the military Basic Allowance for Housing rate for married enlisted members in paygrade E-5. That rate varies by housing locale and is adjusted annually to keep pace with local rental costs.
The first change made by the Colmery Act required that the allowance be based on where students physically attend classes rather than the location of colleges or schools where students are enrolled. So, if a college is headquartered in a city but students takes courses at smaller town campuses or online courses from suburbia or rural residences, the allowance falls. Current GI Bill users, however, are protected from the change; it applies only to students who initially enroll in classes on or after Aug. 1, 2018.
The second allowance change also applies prospectively, to veterans who first use their GI Bill on or after Jan. 1, 2018. This change takes account how Congress has dampened the value of military housing allowances in recent years by adopting a five-year plan to curb inflation adjustments to rates by a full percentage point per year.
Congress had exempted the GI Bill stipend from this initiative. The Colmery law repealed the rate protection for new student veterans. Those who began using their GI Bill before Jan. 1, 2018, continue to receive the higher non-adjusted allowance rate for E-5, which the military no longer uses.

Notice the bold part? So while you may not care who is to blame, those people are the ones that would rather go and waste VA funds on a modernized motto, then put the same money towards helping out the vets.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

You're really sad. I barely post here now because of this sociopathic anti-Trump crap. It's really sad. I hope you find some kind of peace. Best of luck in 2020.

Sad, really wow. You let anti Trump posts on a public forum affect you so much you don't want to post anymore, you should go sit in the corner with the other kids...

You should be happy. Essentially since your refusal to think rationally has caused me, over time, to no longer wish to have dialog. That's what leftists want. Complete dominance of the narritive. You got it from me now. Just keep pushing. Like I said best of luck in 2020. Keep alienating moderates.

As for the implied insult... LOL. We'll see in 2020.

The Russia thing is wearing thin on moderates. Not looking good for your party. Your party is so weak we may have a viable third party come 2020. That would make it real interesting.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

That funny here I was thinking you didnt respond to me because I destroy your narrative in one sentence.

focus on the topic instead of immediately attacking people

if theres a promise trump needs to keep, it's to reform the va.

from my experience with the va, I say its time to get rid of all the corruption and ineptitude. these people simply collect their paychecks and go home.

and the worst part is i bet the people this affects are learning about it as the rest of us are learning about it.
edit on 29-11-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Oh right, you think you are moderate, maybe break out a dictionary and figure out what a moderate is before claiming to be one. I will give you a tip moderates own what they say and do...

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   

I am coming here less as well. Not worth arguing with bigoted idiots.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I am coming here less as well. Not worth arguing with bigoted idiots.

Must be tough having your your world view challenged eh, instead of trying to understand another point of view you choose to lash out with insults and run away.

You have bragged over and over how you capitalize on other people's mistakes, yet you can't just ignore a point of view that clashes with your own ...

edit on 29-11-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Hmmm...a couple of people here seem awful fearful that some long time intellectual posters have used their own free will and freedom to decide to visit ATS less due to the leftist diatribes...interesting. Almost as if the left is scared there will be no one left to throw their one liners, like “go sit in a corner” at, or tell others how they should think and feel. If they have no one to boss around, will liberals quietly fade away? Well, fade away, anyway? I know the “quietly” is asking too much.

That aside, just think, if the #resist, #nevertrump, #impeach45 crowds were non-existent over the past 2 years, the VA would likely have been in much better shape by now...after the last administration (Obama) blew it up, along with the rest of the US military, which is also slowly recovering under the current administration.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Any chance you guys could stay on topic? OP posted a link discussing a potentially challenging issue regarding housing payments for veterans using their GI Bill to advance their education. The very first response and most subsequent posts have completely derailed that post. It makes me wish some of you guys had access to a GI Bill so you could advance your education and not drivel all over the internet with the same conversation over and over and over.

Regarding the actual OP, if true, that would be very disheartening. I’m a Vet, using the post 9-11 GI Bill. I haven’t had any missed payments but it would absolutely destroy my family if we did. We count on that income as I finish up my education. It’s in our budgetary planning every month. Because of it, I’m able to actually focus on the learning aspect of my courseload rather than work a couple part time jobs to help out.

If those who haven’t gotten paid don’t get paid what they’re owed, that’s a criminal act upon them! I would be livid and act accordingly in their defense as best as I could. Why the VA can’t get its $#!+ together is beyond me. Three straight presidents have failed us on many layers. But it does make a great talking point for future initiatives on the campaign trail.

In all fairness though, some aspects of the VA have improved. Access to health care is improving. Healthcare facilities are getting some funding for improvement. But now it’s the GI Bill with problems.
edit on 29-11-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join