It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the silent readers.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I have been noticing that some of my favorite posters who share opposing views, have been noticeably absent over the recent months.

For myself, I post. Sometimes take a break, then post again.
Obviously we all have cycles in life, which allow for us to have more or less time in a discussion forum.
I hope some of our members are either; in a busy cycle or taking a break.

What I miss is insightful commentary from others with different viewpoints. We can not grow as individuals without understanding an argument from all sides. Which means we need arguments from all sides.

Do I think ATS is one sided? Not at all. I constantly see left vs right, being verbose and equally validated.
But I do not often see a middle ground these days.

Can I invite all of us members to remember we are all shaped by our experiences, and everyone has some perspective to add. This is specific to our dear colleagues, who have chosen not to post recently.
We may disagree, but the conversation is not a full one without all sides looked at.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

But I do not often see a middle ground these days.

I'm pretty much in the middle here, I just got tired of being attacked.

No Mud Pit for me.

Too much hostility.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I'm a libertarian in a liberal field (performing arts) as such I identify with being a conservative.
But I would posit I'm pretty middle ground myself.
Mud pit is popular- and I do get sucked into it. It reminds me of other social media that is not as well moderated as ATS.

I would suggest not backing down from those who attack you. Just keep your posts coming. You have enough stars for you not to worry

I recognize your name and avatar.
I cannot say I remember your arguments.
Which suggests to me you are one of the ones this appeal was meant for.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   

To be honest, I'm here for Secret Societies, Mind Control, UFO's and Paranormal.

I really have little to no interest in politics for good reason.

(see my signature)

Still it's very nice meeting someone who shares a similar sentiment.

I too wish there were more moderate opinions being shared.

I think our core base of intellectuals are busy with other interests.

I know I spend a lot of time in the archives.

Maybe that's where everyone got lost....exploring the basement.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I have hardly been here in recent memory, compared to being a daily visitor for months.

I lost interest in most casual reading and posting.

"Unappealing" is the word I would use to describe most of the content. I like the acronym thread and the stories forum.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

To be honest, I'm here for Secret Societies, Mind Control, UFO's and Paranormal.

I really have little to no interest in politics for good reason.

(see my signature)

Still it's very nice meeting someone who shares a similar sentiment.

I think our core base of intellectuals are busy with other interests.

I know I spend a lot of time in the archives.

Maybe that's where everyone got lost....exploring the basement.

And I'm here for Bigfoot, and it seems, to remind mars rock folks what you see is not reality.
Conspiracy is a beautiful thing.
As we can see it from 50 years ago or 2000 years ago.
So many of us are not looking at it now. To either side.
And so many forget to look at the unsolved mystery of the past, as it tells our future.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

I have hardly been here in recent memory, compared to being a daily visitor for months.

I lost interest in most casual reading and posting.

"Unappealing" is the word I would use to describe most of the content. I like the acronym thread and the stories forum.

The content ebbs and flows, for all. I hope you contribute to the forums you enjoy.
I would be interested in the acronym thread.
The wife and I enjoy causing havoc.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   

What I miss is insightful commentary from others with different viewpoints.

They are missed and I wouldn't place myself in that category having never made an insightful political post in my life.

I blanked out ATS politics in September and a few other members from the fabled centre-ground have too. It could be like the morning after for some of the more partisan folk and that's why they've dialled down or paused. Bleary eyes have noticed how redundant 2-3 years of bickering and not conceding a meaningful point have been.

These two pictures epitomise political debate in my opinion. Partisans have heads in the sand in the belief only their side is right; they can't appreciate anything of value from the other side. Calvin and Susie speaks for itself.

There's some thoughtful and reasoning political members who are fine examples of their party politics. There are also some who are like automated meme jukeboxes; put a quarter in the slot and all the latest buzzwords or slogans start to play.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
The wife and I enjoy causing havoc.

My minymalist acronyms are unanymously inymitable.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

What I miss is insightful commentary from others with different viewpoints.

They are missed and I wouldn't place myself in that category having never made an insightful political post in my life.

I blanked out ATS politics in September and a few other members from the fabled centre-ground have too. It could be like the morning after for some of the more partisan folk and that's why they've dialled down or paused. Bleary eyes have noticed how redundant 2-3 years of bickering and not conceding a meaningful point have been.

These two pictures epitomise political debate in my opinion. Partisans have heads in the sand in the belief only their side is right; they can't appreciate anything of value from the other side. Calvin and Susie speaks for itself.

There's some thoughtful and reasoning political members who are fine examples of their party politics. There are also some who are like automated meme jukeboxes; put a quarter in the slot and all the latest buzzwords or slogans start to play.

Good sir, may you ask your peers to applaud your post?

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   

What I miss is insightful commentary from others with different viewpoints. We can not grow as individuals without understanding an argument from all sides. Which means we need arguments from all sides.

I don't want to argue...I like meaningful debate. Valid points that actually make me think and consider another's POV. Maybe that's the problem. Insults and name calling because someone has a different viewpoint or belief than you is not meaningful and certainly doesn't exercise the mind...it only causes animosity and discord.

Plus, I miss the subjects ATS was built off of. I do have 2 or 3 threads ready to go when ATS becomes what it was again. But, until that point, I'll stay mostly silent. Maybe that is what the other silent members you speak of are doing? Or maybe they're just busy, as you said.

Can't speak for anyone else but myself. And I certainly wasn't a daily participant. But, those are some reasons I haven't posted much the last few months.

Thanks!
blend

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Aww,
I missed you too bud.

I will
Do
My best to contribute more in the future.

😉👍🏼

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
There is no point in arguing because you won’t change anyone’s mind, however, I still enjoy the non-political threads. The Mud-Pit is a crap show to be avoided.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I like the way people appear and disappear. Does not always mean something bad. I recently took a break because I really got into a book I was reading.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I was gone for the last year, came back, rolled my eyes, shook my fist at the mud pits existence, found the dust particles of some archival threads floating about that I've tried to grab.
Staying for a bit before my next break as I have found a stash of Nightstar's pixie brew and I need to perform an exorcism on my closet to rid it of dbcowboy who possessed it in my absence.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Interesting OP.

I don't comment much anymore because I am pretty much middle of the road and am not terribly ideological. Rather, I am transactional and am most curious to find solutions that have been tried, tested and proven to work toward better outcomes. As a result, my comments are found to be rather boring, I think. I do occasionally get angry at the people who generally attack a proposal but only on weird idiological grounds who then resort to name calling.

Another reason I don't comment much anymore is because its obvious that with this level of hateful division, few if any are going to try to find, much less back test, workable solutions. Its just become all about them vs. us.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I would come here more often if it were possible to tailor the homepage more to my liking. I can get Trump This and Trump That just about anywhere. But I enjoy reading about conspiracies, and headlines about those rarely make it to the top of the heap anymore.

Which is ironic, since there's a potential political big conspiracy afoot with who is lying, email content and dates, etc. If people were to apply the same scrutiny to minutiae of that as they did to Pizzagate or the rantings of Q, it would be more interesting and something I would read.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I'm definitely middle of the road. I avoid all the political threads like the plague, preferring the paranormal, UFO and general conspiracy threads. I am here every day, just don't post much. I like reading from the archives myself but there's usually not much reason to reply to threads that have been dead for 10 years.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

I agree
I remember we use to be able to click a button to the left of a forum to hide it, it made life pleasant to say the least, you could cater ATS to your desire.

Honestly I have complete fatigue with people thinking I care about their partisan passions here or on Facebook etc, it makes no difference to my life, nor do they make any difference to each others lives.
People delude themselves that they can change anyones opinion.
I haven't worked out yet why others haven't worked this out yet.

edit on 29-11-2018 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

I don't like to change folks words on them, but I'd change that to:

"I too wish there were more opinions being shared moderately."

I like unique, novel stuff, including perspectives and that frequently includes extremely out there concepts.

I'm pretty extreme in my political and social stances, but I like to think my posts are pretty respectful (usually). I don't believe I'm right and everyone that disagrees is wrong though, and I certainly don't feel the changes I want to see should be forced through legislature or social contracts.

In the middle ground between our perspectives shows where we can actually take the first step. And, sometimes, its not unreasonable to respect the choice to stand ground. When that's all we ever do though... that's a problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join