It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama police suggest man they killed in mall shouldn't have held his gun

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

I don't understand your point, please clarify.

1. A McDonald's is a slightly different environment than a crowded mall with numerous places to hide.

2. None of the articles said the Dad was still holding the gun at the time police arrived, or what he did when they arrived.

If your angle was racially motivated, I missed it.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I don't understand your point, please clarify.

1. A McDonald's is a slightly different environment than a crowded mall with numerous places to hide.

2. None of the articles said the Dad was still holding the gun at the time police arrived, or what he did when they arrived.

If your angle was racially motivated, I missed it.

Nothing to do with race and everything to do with:

2. Cops really don't appreciate it (in fact they hate it) when civilians play the role of "cop", doesn't matter what color you are.
3. Right or wrong, law enforcement today is very likely to shoot first and ask forgiveness later. (it's a training issue)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Okay, what about it?

I was referring to an active shooter situation with law enforcement on the scene. This matter was over when the cops arrived. Big difference.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Mr. Bradford did do enough wrong that helped the sad end result play out.

What was it?

A gun in hand?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: Swills

Oh horse$%!#

Same thing would happen to a white guy.

The cop was scared and didn't aquire his target properly.

While Shwills wants to continue the divisive rhetoric, I think it was simply an accident. Officers get a call to a location with shots fired and potential casualties, they pull up and don't know what to expect.

I do hope any footage is released. If the officer/s involved shot first and asked questions later than they do need to be made an example of.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You know, you've made some good posts in this thread but this one takes the cake!

Out here, even an active shooter situation takes 15 minutes for the cops to arrive, and that's assuming they're driving around with nothing to do at the moment. That's why we have guns. A whole heck of a lot can happen in 900 seconds, considering it takes a fraction of one of those seconds to pull a trigger. We have to take care of our own. 911 is for medical emergencies and cleanup after the fact.

A mall is different, especially an upscale place like the Galleria. As I said, I have been there; security is armed and there are always some police on site. Out here, I'll use my gun to protect anyone innocent; there it's not my call. There, I protect myself and my family only.

I also want to point out that Mr. Bradford was running with his gun drawn. Why? There is no reason to pull that gun until you have a target in sight. Burdening one hand with a weapon is not helping you to get away; it is hindering your progress. This ain't the Old West and you're not about to have a duel at 30 paces. Your first instinct should be to hide... if for nothing else to get a stable position where you can aim. Then, and only then, do you decide whether or not to engage.

I have walked my property before with a gun drawn, but in that situation I was already in position, hunting an intruder. I cleared my property about the time the police showed up. Understand, now, that I was standing in the middle of my driveway wearing nothing but a pair of pants (and the hogleg of course) and waved my empty hand in the air to get their attention. The cops saw me, I saw the searchlight hit me full blast, and heard "Drop the gun!" I immediately tossed it sideways into some soft grass, raised my hands, and shouted my name and that I was the homeowner.

It took several minutes as it was to get the misunderstanding cleared up, during which time I was staring at a couple of barrels. I do not fault the cops for drawing their weapons; they had no idea who I was, except for the fact that I was toting a .357 Magnum. I do fault one of them for being so scared the gun was literally shaking in his hand... that scared me more than anything else. That's the training issue you mentioned. It's OK to be scared, but not OK to show it. That boy needed a desk job... he was not street cop material. The other one (his superior based on the conversation) was more seasoned and more secure.

It all boils down to being aware of your surroundings. Had I been surprised by a cop, things could have gotten ugly quickly; I was searching for an intruder already. Had I resisted in any way, things could have gotten ugly. Once the cops show up, you are no longer in charge, and you better make sure they know it immediately.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

If you had read my longer comment directly above the one to which you replied, you would get my point.

But, a short answer to your second question is, yes, in that particular setting and scenario, having his firearm out was a factor, amongst many other considerations.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

I saw some random cell-phone footage on the news last night, but it didn't show anything of interest, just the chaotic scene. I doubt that it will take much longer to get the surveillance and bodycam footage, considering that the police/sheriff already stated that they were going to be very transparent.

Or they're lying, in which case they could end up with a Ferguson incident sooner than later.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join