It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Exorcisms Are On the Rise in America

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
article in The Atlantic

www.msn.com...

But far from being confined to a past of Demiurges and evil eyes, belief in demonic possession is widespread in the United States today. Polls conducted in recent decades by Gallup and the data firm YouGov suggest that roughly half of Americans believe demonic possession is real. The percentage who believe in the devil is even higher, and in fact has been growing: Gallup polls show that the number rose from 55 percent in 1990 to 70 percent in 2007.

Perhaps as a result, demand for exorcisms—the Catholic Church’s antidote to demonic possession—seems to be growing as well. Though the Church does not keep official statistics, the exorcists I interviewed for this article attest to fielding more pleas for help every year.

most people of faith will concede the existence of a powerful evil enemy to mankind; not hard to extend that belief to the existence of lesser entities, aka demons.
possession? well...would explain a lot, wouldn't it?

scoffers will always scoff but its not hard to imagine this sort of spiritual warfare.
mentioned and prophesied to in the Bible, but apparently other faiths have similar beliefs.

personally I want no part in any of this!

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Dang, thought this was another anti-Trump thread. Carry on.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This comes down to solely education, or better still the lack of education. When people start believing in demons to be exorcised the next step is witch trials. Only the extremely stupid and gullible people go down that road.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
This comes down to solely education, or better still the lack of education. When people start believing in demons to be exorcised the next step is witch trials. Only the extremely stupid and gullible people go down that road.

(lol) as I said, scoffers will scoff

there might be more things on Earth, Horatio...

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

More like a symbiotic / parasitic relationship in which the spiritual parasite drives the person (sometimes slowly over time) into ever increasing levels of depravity and immorality. In time, the parasite and the person become more and more merged both in thoughts and actions with the drive to promote and share their depravity to others and make them susceptible to the same influence.
edit on 25-11-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
More Exorcism ... because Trumpses...

The devil himself a hahahaha

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Interesting article that I will read in depth later.

I wonder also, from the article

Adam Jortner, an expert on American religious history at Auburn University, agreed. “When the influence of the major institutional Churches is curbed,” he said, people “begin to look for their own answers.” And at the same time that there has been a rebirth in magical thinking, Jortner added, American culture has become steeped in movies, TV shows, and other media about demons and demonic possession. Today’s increased willingness to believe in the paranormal, then, seems to have begun as a response to secularization before spreading through the culture and landing back on the Church’s doorstep—in the form of people seeking salvation from demons through the Catholic faith’s most mystical ritual.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I can see that. Has anyone seen the teen fiction section at the bookstore? What isn't apocalyptic is paranormal in nature.

But while I believe the possibility of demonic possession exists. I also think the genuine thing is rare. I think it's far more likely that people are looking for an excuse for their own depravity and lack of self-control.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
So do we now believe in the Wolf Man, the Mummy, Vampires, and faeries? How about the Easter bunny? 100% of children believe in the Easter bunny. I did a poll. My daughter said yes to it must be true.

Not trying to sound dichish, but to expand on your OP, if lesser demons can exist, so can vampires, werewolves, and tinkerbell.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone
So do we now believe in the Wolf Man, the Mummy, Vampires, and faeries? How about the Easter bunny? 100% of children believe in the Easter bunny. I did a poll. My daughter said yes to it must be true.

Not trying to sound dichish, but to expand on your OP, if lesser demons can exist, so can vampires, werewolves, and tinkerbell.

Vampires do exist.

All you have to do is tell someone you believe you are a vampire trapped in a human body and they don't dare tell you otherwise. I mean if someone can identify as a dragonkin, then why not as a vampire?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I can see that. Has anyone seen the teen fiction section at the bookstore? What isn't apocalyptic is paranormal in nature.

But while I believe the possibility of demonic possession exists. I also think the genuine thing is rare. I think it's far more likely that people are looking for an excuse for their own depravity and lack of self-control.

Well, it would explain the transgender thing. So, is gender really a construct? Or are they just possessed people? Are there really 67 genders? Or are the demons that control us trying to dilute our intelligence with this kind of narrative?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

So, how is that this demonic possession is only increased in America and not all over the world?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

Vampires do exist.

All you have to do is tell someone you believe you are a vampire trapped in a human body and they don't dare tell you otherwise. I mean if someone can identify as a dragonkin, then why not as a vampire?

Yup. You get it. So we're not allowed to question if a person is possessed. But, I always thought the leftists were anti religion? Such conundrums we create.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Exactly, not to mention those that are unwilling to accept they or someone they know may be schizophrenic.
Far more edgy and cool to think their friend or loved one is possessed(or they themselves a victim of gangstalking), has been quite the common theme on ATS!

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
People are being poisoned by Big Pharma and our food supply is tainted with RoundUp and other toxic chemicals. This is the reason crazy is on the rise not some supernatural forces.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Shhhhh. Logic and critical thinking are the devils tools.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

So, how is that this demonic possession is only increased in America and not all over the world?

Haha, yes exactly.
Although it does seem to be quite prevalent in the African boondocks as well as the more primitive parts of the far east.
Can't say I've seen or heard anything of the kind in Australia.
They'd find themselves the butt of some pretty raucous slandering I'd imagine(Aussies tend to take the piss....alot).
Not sure what that says about the US though?(kinda reminds me of those that blame horrible disasters on gay marriage or abortion).
I guess blaming it all on demons is easier than addressing the actual problems, whilst also conveniently absolving society of any responsibility.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

If you're insinuating that parts if America becoming as uneducated as other primitive parts of the world i agree, this thread is evidence of that.

I'm a #ing smart ass, and as I'm so close to the Queensland border I might just go knock a few cane toads back over where they belong.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Exorcism? Like jogging?

Not many believe in God today but everyone believes in the devil.

Almost every show on TV today is about some kind of magic, occult, or supernatural powers. We are being brainwashed or hypnotized to believe this. All that's being possessed today is your television. Quit watching, you'll be fine.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This isn't surprising considering the amount of negativity we are exposed to in the mainstream media and social media these days. Negativity is often associated with demonic possession in every religion. If you are religious and simply living in this interconnected world today then you are being bombarded with negativity 24 hours a day and you are going to be influenced by it unless you are completely oblivious to everything.

Research has shown that people who believe they are possessed by a demonic force respond much better to exorcism than traditional psychiatric therapy. So I don't see this as a bad thing at all. These people are getting the help they need the same as those who go to the doctor for their distortions in their thinking. Best not to pass judgment on these people and let them get the help they need.

Not everyone is going to take the same path to wellness. To believe that is what is dangerous and empathically wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join