It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt unveils previously unopened ancient female sarcophagus

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Egypt unveils previously unopened ancient female sarcophagus

She is well preserved and the coffin was unopened dating back three-thousand years.

The sarcophagus, an ancient coffin, was one of two found earlier this month by a French-led mission in the northern area of El-Asasef, a necropolis on the western bank of the Nile. The first one had been opened earlier and examined by Egyptian antiquities officials. “One sarcophagus was rishi-style, which dates back to the 17th dynasty, while the other sarcophagus was from the 18th dynasty,” Minister of Antiquities Khaled Al Anani said. “The two tombs were present with their mummies inside.”

The Eighteenth Dynasty dates back to the 13th century BC, a period noted for some of the most well known Pharaohs, including Tutankhamen and Ramses II.
Source and another one Egypt unveils previously unopened ancient female sarcophagus

Also see the unveiling on video-

"Archaeologists unveil ancient Luxor tomb, open closed coffin for first time"

The preserved mummy is named Thuya.

Cool find to share as the Antiquities Ministry hopes the revealing of these latest discoveries can help boost tourism, wonder if this is a significant find. Experts feel free to weigh in on the interesting facts- if known yet.
edit on 25-11-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 11.26.2018 by Kandinsky because: Added link as requested by OP

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Tjuyu

Wiki for Tjuyu

Tjuyu is believed to be a descendant of Queen Ahmose-Nefertari, and she held many official roles in the interwoven religion and government of Ancient Egypt. She was involved in many religious cults; her titles included 'Singer of Hathor' and 'Chief of the Entertainers' of both Amun and Min.[1] She also held the influential offices of Superintendent of the Harem of the god Min of Akhmin and of Amun of Thebes.[2] She married Yuya, a powerful Ancient Egyptian courtier of the eighteenth dynasty. She is believed to have died in around 1375 BC in her early to mid 50s.

Same person?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Good question,appears to be so. Also, maybe finally getting close to locating Nefertari, which I believe her sarcophagus has yet to be found.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Good question,appears to be so. Also, maybe finally getting close to locating Nefertari, which I believe her sarcophagus has yet to be found.

Can you imagine the excitement and interest worldwide if the sarcophagus of Nefertari was found. I've always believed that the missing Kings and Queens are under the sands somewhere.
What a fascinating find this is. There does seem to be a lot of finds in Egypt over the last few months or so. Long may it continue.
I'm also glad that Zahi Hawass has nothing to do with this. It does make you wonder if it was him who didn't reveal finds to the public. Now he's gone, we seem to be opening all sorts of new doors.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: rhynouk

Apparently she's well hidden, and hopefully not missing/stolen.

I think you're right the absence of Hawass is why this is even happening.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

It's widely believed that the Yuya mummy is the biblical "Joseph." If true, and this Tjuyu mummy was his wife, that would make her the biblical Aseneth.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The link above no longer works, so here's a link to a much better story with details on this find.

This particular sarcophagus dates to the 17th Dynasty, which was the end of the 2nd Intermediate period... around 200 years before Tutankamun. (it's an exquisite sarcophagus and amazingly preserved... an exciting find)

A closeup of the face of the sarcophagus is with this article

The reporters, to stretch out the article, also report on a SECOND sarcophagus (this one from the 18th Dynasty) AND a tomb that they found that contained over 1,000 ushabtis among other treasures.

None of the three discoveries takes place in the Valley of the Kings. These were tombs and sarcophagi of nobles but they aren't kings and queens.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Tjuyu

Wiki for Tjuyu

Tjuyu is believed to be a descendant of Queen Ahmose-Nefertari, and she held many official roles in the interwoven religion and government of Ancient Egypt. She was involved in many religious cults; her titles included 'Singer of Hathor' and 'Chief of the Entertainers' of both Amun and Min.[1] She also held the influential offices of Superintendent of the Harem of the god Min of Akhmin and of Amun of Thebes.[2] She married Yuya, a powerful Ancient Egyptian courtier of the eighteenth dynasty. She is believed to have died in around 1375 BC in her early to mid 50s.

Same person?

No. As you can see from the Wikipedia article, they've had the mummy of that Thuya for quite awhile. Plus, she lived about 200 years AFTER the Thuya that they just found.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

It's widely believed that the Yuya mummy is the biblical "Joseph." If true, and this Tjuyu mummy was his wife, that would make her the biblical Aseneth.

...but not believed by anyone who's studied Egyptology or Assyriology (history of the area of the Bible). Joseph's body didn't end up in Egypt, and Yuya's career is definitely not a match anywhere.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Much thanks for your info and the link!

---------------------------------------------

Mods if you can change the OP link to the one shared by Byrd- this one.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Huzzah! I love to hear about finds like this.

Now...let’s grind her up and eat her! Isn’t that what they used to do? So gross...

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This absolutely fascinates me. I love Ancient Egypt and wondering what is under the sands. Imagine what we haven't found yet!

This find is amazing and it's in beautiful condition! I can't wait to see who it is.

Thanks for sharing.

top topics

join