It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All federal funding to PBS/NPR should be stopped unless bias changes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
When I was younger I grew up watching the 3 network news stations along with PBS (for news) and I remember being so confused as to what was really going on in the world because at that time some of the networks were not as biased as they are now. IDK if PBS was more unbiased or if it was the network stations, but I remembered flipping through the channels, hearing the same topic discussed and noticing that there was a totally different "tone" about the topic. One network might cover something more as fact while another might mention that it was an opinion, and rarely (before FOX) there would be an opposing side to the "facts" with someone giving their opinion. I was taught that the news was "unbiased" by parents and teachers, so I was totally confused by the conflicting perspectives put forth by the different networks.

I didn't realize just how biased the different networks were/are until about 2004 as I didn't follow politics much until then. I was completely blown away that when I talked to the people I grew up with (adults when I was a child) they ALL denied bias in the media for at least 10 years after that point, possibly up until 2016 when it just couldn't be hidden anymore. I always brought up the fact that PBS/NPR was HIGHLY left leaning and they stacked their programs against any opposing viewpoint to the extent of completely removing it from the discussion and pretending it didn't exist in this reality - at least the other networks usually mention opposition to their viewpoints so people at least know there are oppising views, NPR/PBS tries to avoid this as much as possible and just gives the progressive viewpoint.

Listening to the Friday newscast of PBS they had some "INDISPUTABLE ground breaking" global warming/climate change piece on where they discussed a new report "signed off on by 13 gov agencies" (as if that makes it accurate and factual...) that basically said climate change is the cause of the major storms/weather/fire/etc that we have seen this last year. Again and again they try to brow beat anyone with a different viewpoint on climate change and they never discuss any of the opposing views or reasons why people might not think MAN is not the cause of climate change. They never talk about external factors (proven to have larger influence than CO2/greenhouse gases) which effect the climate/globe. They never discuss the mistakes found in the "INDISPUTABLE ground breaking" reports upon which they heap praise as if it was handed down on stone tablets form an omniscient and omnipotent being.

I think they need to completely stop funding to this organization and if they are unwilling to do this then they need to impose some kind of standards, but that is so difficult to enforce. If you want different viewpoints to be discussed, there may be 2 main viewpoints and 400 extremely small "groups" (group of 1 even...), and do they all get equal coverage? If there were 2 main presidential candidates and 400 "others" do they split their 1 hour program into 402 equal length sections for all candidates or do they cover the 2 main candidates (and possible other more popular or interesting ones - to a lesser extent).

The only thing that PBS/NPR does is reinforce the political left's ideology by giving the "leftists" the ability to claim that even "NPR/PBS" has the same opinions and viewpoints - as if that means anything.

If they don't decide to pull funding then I demand they rename NPR to LCD/NPC News - LCD for lowest common denominator and NPC for, well you know...

edit on 11 24 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
PBS and NPR are very subtle and clever.

Most "Watchers" and "Listeners" don't even know they are getting hoodwinked and "sub-titled" 😎

Great con tactics used every minute.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Federal funding of any business that cannot survive on it's own merit should stop immediately so we can end this fake system of debt slavery and get back to a more realistic economy that's based on serving people's needs

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

yeah alright, whatever. You should put these posts in the rant forum imo, as they are really just you ranting about certain things and / or asking people to do a bunch of work to make some pipe dream a reality. Just saying...

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The irony of someone on a dedicated conspiracy website calling for the federal defunding of anything because of a perceived “political bias” is almost too rich to fathom!

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

this isn't a conspiracy website anymore it's a left vs right mainstream political conversation site that parrot's fox news (mostly) and sometimes CNN

then there's a bunch of people like you who make short 2 sentence post bashing OP's but offering little to no real detailed explanation with any well thought out research or counter arguments

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
A word to the wise is always enough.

For the rest, all the words in the world will never be sufficient.

Unfortunately, despite my enduring optimism, the wise seem few and far between.

Research the term “irony”, and then consider how it was used in the context of my response to the OP.

There is your “counter argument”.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
PBS and NPR are very subtle and clever.

Most "Watchers" and "Listeners" don't even know they are getting hoodwinked and "sub-titled" 😎

Great con tactics used every minute.

This coming from an obvious shill from the opposite spectrum is entertaining to say the least.

I am actually surprised you used more than 6 words for a reply.

Congrats

As for the OP. Ya maybe they should rename it. Maybe to something like.....ooooo.....i dunno....cartoon network
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Entertainment network will do just fine.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Your right, that would be appropriate. No need to bring CN into this.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   

cartoon network actually make some funny shows

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   

The only thing that PBS/NPR does is reinforce the political left's ideology by giving the "leftists" the ability to claim that even "NPR/PBS" has the same opinions and viewpoints - as if that means anything.

LoL!

Ah yes, pulling the old NPR/PBS card always wins the fight for those damned LEFTIES!!!!

LMAO!!

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

cartoon network actually make some funny shows

Hell ya they do! I watch that shiz often in the mornings.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

A word to the wise is always enough. For the rest, all the words in the world will never be sufficient.

Another good idiom: it’s tantamount to ‘spitting/pissing in the wind’. And ‘wise’ is in short supply, or as you say, “few and far between”.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I've written to my local NPR saying their biased reporting was alarming to me and how obvious it was. Perfect example was when the topic of the Obama administration protecting the Hezbollah's illegal drug ring to avoid "rocking the boat" with the Iran deal, and they immediately changed the subject and didn't discuss it any further.

But if it's Trump-related, they can go on and on and try to take a situation that isn't even what they are saying it is to try to paint a different picture.

They replied saying "they report on all presidents and candidates objectively".

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Cartoon network rocks !!! Some funny sh!t on there. The government shouldn't be using our tax dollars on NPR PBS or any other radio or tv station. That's not the governments' job.

edit on 25-11-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I agree, I used to listen to NPR all the time, I loved the weekend shows with thegame shows, and stories.

I didn't even know there were other talk radio shows until the presidential election started, and here's why:
I have always strived to hear both sides and make up my own mind, in very open minded. I was listening toNPR, and it started to get annoying because all they did was bash trump and glorify/downplay anything clinton. It got to the point where it was so bad, I just started manually going through the stations, and found another talk show station.
Which was more right leaning, but they seemed to offer facts and actual proof of NPR's blatant partisanship. They also called trump and the right side out when they needed to be.
So now I listen to that during the week, and NPR during the weekend, as long as it isn't a trump bashing fest weekend.

I don't want to turn on the radio and hear negativity and the attacking of a person allllllllll the time, I want to hear actual news and facts and issues without some persons crappy opinion that thinks they are right all the time....and this is getting much harder than it should be as time goes on.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yes.

Let's also call federal funding what it is.

-Stolen from your paycheck without permission.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
every time conservatives grumble about cutting the funding for NPR/PBS the left goes into hysterics about how the right hates children, hates education, hates Sesame Street, etc, and the right caves. hoping they will be appreciated for this but they never are.
should have pulled the taxpayer plug long ago.
let some of those Hollywood zillionaires spend some of their money to support.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I think one of the issues is that, normally, its very difficult to recognize our own bias. This trait that is inherent to all of us has been used as manipulation.

So, we have a bunch of folks that have redefined a heavy bias as either "centrist," or even "unbiased." It also creates an environment where literally every differing viewpoint is seen as "right wing propaganda." In essence, reality is seen as propaganda with all the trappings that implies.

Its really a shame, because I think stations like PBS specifically have a ton of potential as a concept.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join