It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redirects

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This is not a human body, it’s a web site, and in my experience I have never had this happen on any other website, just saying.a reply to: ArMaP

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

A web site cannot speak for itself, like a human, so we need the people to visit the site to tell us what they see and how the site behaves to them, as it's impossible to know all the combinations of things that may affect the user experience (device, browser and ISP being the most important) and how other people think.

Even in a controlled environment like a software house (I work in one) it's common for the people that create the site to think in a way but other people think in a completely and unexpected (by the designer or the programmer) way, so the site may behave in a different way when those people interact with the site in the way they think is the normal way.

The fact that you do not experience this problem in any other site doesn't mean that ATS is the direct source of the problem, it only means that ATS is linked in any way to the problem. As I don't have that problem I cannot analyse what happens to people facing the problem without those people's help. For example, the image posted by Shadys321 shows a specific URL and a specific ISP. I could try going to that URL (as I did; nothing happened), but I cannot try to use a different ISP, specially one that does not operate in my country.

When we add the targeted adverts things get even more complicated, as those are served by specialized companies (like Google) and it's their algorithms that choose what ads we get.

Without the help from the people that is suffering from a specific problem it's impossible to find a solution (besides shutting down the whole site).

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Yup!

I think you folks do a great job, personally.

With how basic technology works, the only way you are likely to find these issues is with the help of the userbase. With many issues, they can be fixed by the user, but obviously not all. Hell, if you even have a majority of users encountering the same issue.. we are probably talking about a pretty catastrophic, obvious problem. Most issues tend to be experienced by a smallish percentage of the userbase.

This specific issue seems to be a tricky one. On my account, I get two persistent ads. One at the bottom of my device screen and one at the top of the site page.

I usually close the one at the bottom right away, and have still been redirected. I do have ubiquitous settings like pop-up blockers turned on, but it appears to flood the device until one gets through. It seems designed to skirt ID, so its quite tricky to get anything beyond a screencap of the redirect and the final URL.

Its also quite sporadic. I can go a day or two without issue, then another day, literally every other thread will redirect. But, it seems once the redirect occurs, the original ad which flooded the popups is already something else.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Same, I keep getting the Congrats Amazon winner scam ad. Has redirected me on IPad several times today and was so bad yesterday I just gave up. Only on ATS btw. If I turn off JavaScript I can’t login and my of the features on my other sites won’t work. Ugh

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Sharing from the "worst ads" thread: Just had a redirect to a page that someone could accidentally click on. It had the "your computer is corrupt" to that effect error box. On PC btw.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lucky it was easy to close out of, on some devices not so much.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Posting from an iPad without any problems.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I cleaned out cache, and cookies again. I still get the redirects only from This site. iPad.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join