It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists in Greece discover 58 shipwrecks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Archaeologists in Greece have discovered at least 58 shipwrecks, many laden with antiquities, in what they say may be the largest concentration of ancient wrecks ever found in the Aegean and possibly the whole of the Mediterranean.

www.reuters.com...

Fournoi is made up of 20 small islands, islets and reefs between the larger Ikaria, Patmos and Samos islands. The population does not reach more than 1,500, mainly located on the main island of Fournoi. The team, which includes archaeologists, architects, conservators, and divers, want to create a center for underwater archaeology in Fournoi for students, as well as a local museum to house their finds.

I must also wonder how many of those wrecks will be from Atlantis.................................................lol
edit on 22/11/18 by Hanslune because: corrected link

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

What ancient war are they from?

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SatansPride

Seems to be cargo ships

The vessels and their contents paint a picture of ships carrying goods on routes from the Black Sea, Greece, Asia Minor, Italy, Spain, Sicily, Cyprus, the Levant, Egypt and north Africa.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
From looking at the location of Fournoi, it looks like it would have been a really good location for a trade hub. Protection from many of the turmoils of the sea. For there to be that many ships there still with their cargo, I feel there was a lot of ships that frequented there. What does ancient history say about this place? I would not say it was a pirate hub because those ships would be looted.

Interesting info Hanslune. I wonder if there are many more shipwrecks yet to find there? What time period are the ships from?

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SatansPride

In ancient times trade by sea was a very dangerous occupation, no weather reports, no instant communications. Frankly no safety gear as we know it. Not even a life jacket. 58 wrecks spanning hundreds of years isn’t so much.
If you have have ever sailed into a harbour, without a motor, then you understand a little of what the ancient mariner faced ever day. It was not a career for the timid.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Oh. Atlantis though, I have not figured out or even found a resemblance to culture, history, meanings, which is abnormal. Whatever it is, its truth is kept very secret & I can not even find a small ammount in the last few minutes I have tried. I feel as though it is not something that is meant to be proved or it can be bad for how humans percieve tech. Just a thought, though I was wrong about the war with ships thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Storms would be the worst. I've lived on the coast, and you can tell when a storm is coming because the waves change pattern - smaller more frequent intense waves white peaks, almost like the downdraft from a helicopter. Even in shallow water, large waves from a storm will become amplified in the same way as a tsunami, bounce and reflect off the coast and ships will be slopping around all over the place. Tilt over too far while loaded down with merchandise and it will sink. Perhaps even the rain will sink the boat if it is heavy enough, add a lightning strike to blow apart the hull, winds to tear apart the sails.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Most likely site of wrecks

www.google.com...@37.5787246,26.458001,657m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x14bc5415e779f341:0x1d48d47051d0ae14!8m2! 3d37.5837515!4d26.4370933

Interesting, but Biggest Find in a Century?

The site would have to be fully excavated before that claim could be made.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

1.bp.blogspot.com...

Bottleneck

content.ngv.vic.gov.au...
edit on 22-11-2018 by I8THATAPPLEFRITTER because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: I8THATAPPLEFRITTER

Fourni History
The history of Fourni begins from the ancient times, yet there is few evidence from that time. The island was known by the name Korsaioi islands and according to the historians, it was first inhabited in the 1st century BC from the Korsets. Archeological findings prove that the island had been inhabited during the Hellenistic times. These findings include the sarcophagus that was found south of the church of Agios Nikolaos in 1927 and today decorates the square of the village. Also, marble columns of Dorian order have been found in the area of Kamari and lastly remains of a temple of Poseidon has been excavated in Chrysomilia. Throughout the Byzantine Times and the Turkish domination, Fourni was deserted as it became the pirate base of operations. According to some urban legends, many pirates have hidden their treasures in several spots of the island and secluded caves. In the 19th century, piracy was confronted by the Greek Navy and people could again inhabit the remote islands of the Aegean. Therefore, by the end of the 19th century, the island had been inhabited again. During World War II, Fourni fell under Italian occupation. At that time, many people fled with boats to Cyprus and Egypt. In the 1950s and 1960s, most part of the local population migrated to large towns in Greece or abroad in search of a better life. Today, the island has about 1,500 permanent residents. The main occupation of the locals is tourism and fishing and in fact, they have one of the best fishing fleets in Greece. The history of Fournoi has been marked by many events throughout the ages. Source: www.greeka.com

Most likely pirate saboteurs ambushed and sank the ships in the channel for the booty. Probably not much worth recovering as far as booty, but interesting story. Maybe some pottery.

Would be an interesting dive site. I would probably start with the burnt ships, In their haste they might of forgot something in the holds.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

a more informative article on the subject except for location

www.rt.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Ships at anchor, when the wind shifts.

"The ships would just plow into the cliffs and then scatter down," Campbell told Live Science. "We find piles of amphoras [ancient Greek vases]. It looks like the scene of a giant car crash, with these ceramics cascading down."

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

ohh, I missed that

www.youtube.com...

Wow, 58 captains anchored in the wrong spot, how did they ever get out of their home port.
Did the falling rocks set them on fire too?

I guess they want to leave the site pretty much undisturbed.

I have had enough of the find of the century!

www.youtube.com...

good luck

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Wow, 58 captains anchored in the wrong spot, how did they ever get out of their home port.

They anchored in a great spot, sheltered by cliffs. Then a storm came and pushed them into the cliffs. You think they all sank at the same time?

Among the eight shipwrecks found, dates range from the late Greek Archaic period (525-480 BC) to the Early Modern period (1750-1850 AD). They also contain treasures such as lamps, cooking pots and anchors.

Did the falling rocks set them on fire too?
Falling rocks? Fire?

edit on 11/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

cdni.rt.com...

good luck

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

The stones are called ballast.
The wood has rotted away where is was not covered by sediment. But there could have been fires from overturned lamps, cooking fires.

I found these finds more incredible
Not sure what they have to do with sunken ships.

edit on 11/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

looks like a burned ship to me.

whatever, FIND OF THE CENTURY!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

A star for you! Thanks for posting. Great find and interesting.

The island is practically in Turkey!

new topics

top topics

join