It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel is buying more F-15s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The Israelis have decided to buy more F-15s to supplement the F-35s they have been buying. The number being bought is being described as a 'squadron' and the deliveries are expected by 2023. The variant is being called the F-15IA.

The F-15s will be more capable than the past variant(s) the Israelis have bought and the article stated they would be in line with the most recent versions bought by Qatar and Saudi Arabia. It does not sound like the F-15X, since it appears this variant can 'only' carry something like 11 AAMs.

The news article I saw said Israel was being pressured by the US to NOT buy any more F-15s but rather F-35s. TBH, I wish we had let the Israelis buy all the F-15s they wanted and NOT let them have the F-35, but that's just me. The Israelis are still buying 75 F-35s.

www.ynetnews.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha
The decision was first announced in January if i remember correctly.
They want to preserve their existing F-15 fleet and this was bascially the last opportunity to get new airframes. They did alot to overhaul the existing fleet but there is only so much they can do even with a complete rebuild and those aircraft get pushed hard.

The F-15 purchase is part of a much larger deal with Boing totaling 11 Billion US-$. This includes CH-47s and V-22s for a mixed transport squadron (CH-53 replacement), KC-47s (KC-707) replacement.
It was also reported previously that the deal includes modifications of their existing 25 F-15Is to the F-15IA standard. dunno if thats true though, F-15Is are already getting upgraded. Maybe they'll get their radar replacement now.

Something to keep in mind, Israels Minister of Defense Avidgor Lieberman resigned recently. Not impossible that the deal will again be adjusted now.

First time I’ve read anything about US pressure on Israel not to purchase more F-15. Nothing about Israel wanting to either. Just the opposite, they were vocal about the F-35 purchase continuing as planned.
Which is necessary, the IAF will have a hard time keeping their numbers up going forward.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

My last understanding was that they were still hemming and hawing (and a lot of haggling) over the decision for Chinooks OR Ospreys. A move to get both would be great if they can support both fleets. Definitely squeezing Boeing a little, but it's great news for Boeing to keep the Eagle line open.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
a reply to: mightmight

My last understanding was that they were still hemming and hawing (and a lot of haggling) over the decision for Chinooks OR Ospreys. A move to get both would be great if they can support both fleets.

According to the israeli media the military wants both. Both have their unique advantages and they want to pair them with their Depth Corps they formed a couple of years ago.

But yeah, remains to be seen. Much depends on the next defense chief or rather how the government will look after the next elections.
Although, Lieberman named Aviv Kochavi as Eizenkots replacement for Chief of Staff before quitting. Kochavi is a paratrooper, former head of the Military Intelligence Directorate and was instrumental in setting up the Depth Corps in the first place. Very likely the IDF will continue to push for enhanced long range capabilities under his leadership.

top topics

join