It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stay Home Dads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Just curious how folks feel about stay home dads?

My wife commented the other day that I could be a stay home dad. I don't think she was really serious, but the past couple of years I've been kind of working part time because my job / business is extremely flexible. I make my own hours and so a lot of the errands and misc stuff that comes along with raising kids tends to fall on me - day care drop offs, unplanned doctor's appointments, etc. I even stayed home two days a week when my first child was born.

I've usually been the breadwinner. However, my wife has been moving up the corporate ladder quite fast over the past five years and is now making more than I was making. She likes her job / career and is highly sought after by headhunters.

I've found I am actually quite good at the housekeeping and kids stuff. In a way, I kind of enjoy it too.

We have a few friends where the fathers are essentially stay home dads. The wives are high powered executives.

While I am generally conservative in views, I am not all that big on gender roles necessarily. I support what works. My wife isn't the stay home type, so I'd never tell her she is the one who needed to stay home.

Discuss...

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Never give your balls away ! Although it would be nice if your spouse REALLY was good with it but from my experience once you stop bringing in cash the good times stop after awhile you can only ask for Beer money so many times without backlash . JMO
edit on 11/14/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

My wife commented the other day that I could be a stay home dad. I don't think she was really serious, but the past couple of years I've been kind of working part time because my job / business is extremely flexible. I make my own hours and so a lot of the errands and misc stuff that comes along with raising kids tends to fall on me - day care drop offs, unplanned doctor's appointments, etc. I even stayed home two days a week when my first child was born.

I've usually been the breadwinner. However, my wife has been moving up the corporate ladder quite fast over the past five years and is now making more than I was making. She likes her job / career and is highly sought after by headhunters.

I've found I am actually quite good at the housekeeping and kids stuff. In a way, I kind of enjoy it too.

We have a few friends where the fathers are essentially stay home dads. The wives are high powered executives.

While I am generally conservative in views, I am not all that big on gender roles necessarily. I support what works. My wife isn't the stay home type, so I'd never tell her she is the one who needed to stay home.

Discuss...

I am a divorced dad with 50% custody of my kids so I am essentially stay at home every other week.

Either way, I do everything around my house and for my kids at my house.

Culture predominately is divorced parents so having a married couple with either one staying at home seems normal to me.

I dont see either being better at either "position". Just depends on what the family wants.

I do it because I want to be a big part in my kids lives and make sure they are around family. My exes have sitters and nannies. I dont agree with it but nothing i can do.

I commend anyone that can do it and will do it myself as long as i possibly can.

It's about the kids for me....not what anyone else thinks.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I did it for 16 years.

Wife makes more drinking her coffee, than I do all day .

I loved it. I was there for my child’s every need.

It worked for us. I don’t have a big ego.

You will at times second guess yourself.

It’s not for every man...

ADD: Taking care of my child is the hardest job I ever had.

edit on 14-11-2018 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

That would depend on your personal situation and whether or not it creates division between you and your wife or not. Is it the case where all money is our money or it's your money and my money if that makes sense?

There is zero wrong with being a stay at home dad. I'd say it can be a good thing provided it does not cause a rift in the relationship over who's money it is.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Happy wife, happy life?

Mr. Mom was released when I was a kid, so I’d say you’re gonna be fine and get to keep your man card.

Actually, you’d have to give up the man card if you’re a sh$t dad, so I’d say you’ll be ‘working’ no matter, if you wanna keep the man card.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

That would depend on your personal situation and whether or not it creates division between you and your wife or not. Is it the case where all money is our money or it's your money and my money if that makes sense?

There is zero wrong with being a stay at home dad. I'd say it can be a good thing provided it does not cause a rift in the relationship over who's money it is.

Money and ego seem to be where things go off rails. My wife's friend just got divorced. She was bread winner exec and husband was part time yoga teacher. I dont think his ego could handle it. Seemed silly to me. I'm like all you gotta do is pick up kids etc, make dinner, and tap dat behind when she wants.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I could never be happy that way.

I would not do it either. She is more likely to lose her job in the next 5 years when the economy tanks again.

Best not to think about getting lazy anytime soon.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

To me it absolutely doesn't matter which parent, or even grandparent does it as long as someone is there for the kids.
Also, who cares what anyone thinks, if it works for your family do it. You can laugh at them when you get to retire early and rich because of the choices you made!

I think the stereotype of male breadwinners is going away quickly too.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Discuss...

Don't do it, she is planning to start having an affair with some dude at the office.

Someone had to say it.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Lmfao, spoken like true morning radio

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Would a stay at home dad get to hang around with the sexy stay at home moms and their yoga pants drinking wine?

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Do what you got to do. Don't worry about what the haters say. The key, is are you happy, are you fulfilled? You still got your man card.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

My wife was a stay at home wife before we had kids, so when the babies started being born there wasn't an issue there. We homeschool as well, so she's also the stay at home teacher in addition to stay at home mom.

I would not do as good at these two jobs as she has done, so for our situation, me suddenly becoming the stay at home parent would be a disservice to the kids and would be a big "no."

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
My husband brings home the bacon here, so it's really not a question of whether or not he will be a full-time stay-at-home. It's just not realistic. However, I know he would be happy to do it if the occasion and need arose, and if our situations were there, I'd let him.

However, he has enough flexibility with his time off and now being able to telecommute on certain days, that he has always been the one to take days to stay home with our son when he's sick or school gets cancelled due to weather or something. We neither one think it's weird at all. It's just the way things are, and we roll with that.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

No more an issue than I have with stay home moms. Namely, none.

I, personally, think having a parent immediately available is a wonderful thing. Or, at the very least, an Uncle or Aunt that can act as a guardian in the absence of the parents.

I was for my nieces and nephew when they lived reasonably close. I was the only one, other then their parents who could pick 'em up from school early.

No, I think having a stay home parent is a great idea--if at all possible.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Don't do it, she is planning to start having an affair with some dude at the office. Someone had to say it.

That's really lame. Just because a woman is good at a job and is being compensated for it she must be wanting to have an affair, OK whatever.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If I could make as much money as my husband, we’d likely swap the “stay at home” position. He would probably exceed me in many of the child rearing areas, and definitely would be a better house keeper. He’s more patient than I am, sees more teaching opportunities for our kids in every day situations, and more fun. Logistics don’t allow for me to be the money maker at the moment.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I'd love to be a stay at home dad.

Especially as my lot are all in their late teens haha.
Seriously though, for most of our lives, my wife earned less than half what I did, it just wasn't an option.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
LOL (your tap that, comment)
Because really, isn't that what is expected of a stay home mom, keeping the man happy too, after the kids go to bed?

I think your kids would be lucky to have a stay at home parent, regardless of which one it is.
And it sounds like your secure enough in your manhood, to handle it. And a better housekeeper? Do you have a brother? LOL (nah, still happily married.)

Sounds to me like you have a good thing going. If it works for your family, do it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join