It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA and FDA to soon rule on Kratom

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It isn’t looking good.

A final decision on the legality of a controversial drug is expected imminently from the US government.

The drug, called Kratom, has pitted government regulators against scientists and advocates. The Food and Drug Administration has called it a dangerous opioid and sought to ban it by making it a Schedule 1 drug like heroin or ecstasy. Some advocates say it's helped them end their addiction to opioids, and scientists want to keep exploring its potential as a medical treatment.

Right now, researchers at the DEA are evaluating the two main components in kratom. They'll either rule the same for both ingredients, effectively banning all forms of kratom nationwide, or they'll ban one and make the other potentially available as a medicine at a later date. That's according to Melvin Patterson, a spokesperson with the Drug Enforcement Administration who described the ruling as forthcoming.

www.businessinsider.com...

Why in 2018 are we still trying to ban plants and criminalize the people who use them? We’re in the middle of a nationwide opiate epidemic and the DEA wants to take away this innocuous plant that has helped hundreds of thousands of people get off of hard opiates.

This is criminal, because taking this away will without a doubt lead to a lot of people dying when they have to switch back to harder opiates which are the problem in the first place.

Let’s also not forget that at the same time the government is trying to rip this innocuous plant away from people they also just approved a drug that is 10 times more potent than fentanyl.

It’s about time everyone woke up to the fact that the DEA, FDA, don’t care about actually helping anyone. They care about money. That’s it. This latest push to get people hooked again on big pharmas painkillers should make that obvious.

I just want to say from the bottom of my heart, screw big pharma, the DEA, the FDA, and anyone else who thinks it’s ok to cause death and destruction in the name of profit. This BS prohibition mindset that the government should protect us from ourselves has ruined more lives and caused more death than the things they are supposedly protecting us from.

Please try to keep it on topic and no comments about personal use. Even though it’s legal at the moment I don’t want this thread getting shut down. This is too important a topic.

Good luck everyone.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In my town there is a vape shop called "Kratom", hopefully they get some visits and shut down as there is already 6 vape shops here.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Ohio is trying to make it illegal statewide. I think with the push for Cannabis legalization for medical and recreational, there is BIG Bucks backing that industry already so this is lobbying at it's finest or worst. Warren Buffet was a very early on supporter and financer of the Cannabis industry. Kratom is a threat to the bottom line of those who have already positioned themselves for the Green gold rush, so this doesn't surprise me....

Hell the FDA is also trying to outlaw menthol cigarettes ffs.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is going to undermine the efforts of so many who are trying to stay away from opioids. I hate that something like this could stand in the world we live today.
They are so wrong.
Screw the FDA, DEA, and Big Pharma. Aren't they rich enough off the backs of patients-turned-addicts? Makes me so angry.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I think the US would be better off without the DEA and FDA telling us what's ok to put in our bodies.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Why in 2018 are we still trying to ban plants and criminalize the people who use them? We’re in the middle of a nationwide opiate epidemic and the DEA wants to take away this innocuous plant that has helped hundreds of thousands of people get off of hard opiates.

There is your answer.

Same reason many times you see a state referendum on marijuana, Pharma will spend money on PR campaigns against it.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slinki
This is going to undermine the efforts of so many who are trying to stay away from opioids. I hate that something like this could stand in the world we live today.
They are so wrong.
Screw the FDA, DEA, and Big Pharma. Aren't they rich enough off the backs of patients-turned-addicts? Makes me so angry.

Works great for alcoholism too, although no one ever brings it up!

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Slinki

This is going to undermine the efforts of so many who are trying to stay away from opioids.

And that’s it right there. How can these agencies operate under the idea that they’re making things safer when they are actively trying to send people back to hard opiates like street heroin and fentanyl?

I’ve been talking about this on several other forums all morning and there are a ton of people that have pretty much made peace with dying at this point. Because the only other options are the ones that almost killed them before finding Kratom.

It blows my mind.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

[snipped]

A single combo meal from McDonalds does more damage to your body than daily dosing of Kratom.

Knowing the powers that be... we'll have to kiss it goodbye like we did with Salvia Divinorum (was also readily available in smoke shops for a while)

edit on 14-11-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

edit on 11.14.2018 by Kandinsky because: ATS T&Cs do not allow tales of personal useage

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is similar to the prohibition of marijuana - it stifles competition and makes it so more people are using different, addictive, hard drugs which can generate money for the state through incarceration and fines.

But as this is ATS, I shouldn't have to explain that

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

They are so wrong.

I actually was not aware of that! Thank you for bringing it up.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

And that’s it right there. How can these agencies operate under the idea that they’re making things safer when they are actively trying to send people back to hard opiates like street heroin and fentanyl?

The FDA gets extra money for fast tracking drugs.

Natural plants typically aren't reviewed by them, unless ironically it interferes with future pharmaceuticals.

It's not in corporate, or government best interest we have the cheapest and safest remedies to our ailments.

Remember, you can't patent a plant.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

A single combo meal from McDonalds does more damage to your body than daily dosing of Kratom.

Exactly. While I’m for legalization of everything across the board, I can understand why people want harder drugs illegal. But this?

You can’t OD on it, and there are a ton of things worse than Kratom that are legal. The DEA says it’s an opiate just because it contains opiate agonists, but so does coffee and cheese.

Part of me thinks they are going to need a new harmless substance to criminalize to make up for the drop in revenue that will come with cannabis legalization.

Prisons gotta stay full and politicians have to stay paid.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Seen it help a couple of people but also seen it develop into a crutch for people that don't really need it. Whatever, the government is on full tilt losing control and going bat# crazy. They need something to kick down private citizens doors over.

Junkies are not any good, they die too quickly. Exit the money stream.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

They are so wrong.

I actually was not aware of that! Thank you for bringing it up.

To stay within T&C I'm going to be vague.

Mind opening external "supplements" also help more so.

The reason is rather than trading one vice for another, you separate yourself from ego and have a lot of introspection. For many (not all), they are able to self identify why they "self medicate" to begin with, rather than using substances to suppress, or hide from it.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It's not in corporate, or government best interest we have the cheapest and safest remedies to our ailments.

I think it’s time that we as Americans abolish these agencies. Party be damned, I’ll vote for anyone who campaigns on getting rid of the DEA.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Is it a ‘supplement’ or a ‘drug’? FDA is gonna say it’s a drug and the DEA will get their schedule I listing. It’s terrible ‘public health’ policy-making, but it’s not surprising...

I have a hard time believing that the plant is a panacea for opiate addiction, but I believe it is getting railroaded to protect ill-gotten gains. If Kratom is a panacea for opiate addiction, then you can be sure that it’ll be buried in regulatory purgatory. Either way, once the DEA got pimp slapped by an outpouring of public comments in its first attempt to list Kratom in the CSA, Kratom’s fate was sealed IMO.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I think it’s time that we as Americans abolish these agencies. Party be damned, I’ll vote for anyone who campaigns on getting rid of the DEA.

I think reform would suffice.

The top priority needs to be consumers, not producers.

Health insurance companies won't pay unless it's FDA approved, that needs to change. (Either they need to pay for natural cheap and safe remedies, or the FDA needs to start approving those remedies).

The deck has been loaded for some time.
edit on 14-11-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

It’s as close to a panacea that we can realistically hope for. The safety profile is on par with cannabis.

And that’s why it’ll be buried. A lot of big corporations have a lot of money invested in bringing their own opiate based drugs to market. And I think they’re seeing lost profit.

I think this is a clear case of the government we fund as citizens working directly against our best interests. Just to make the donors of the people involved more money. There will be a real human cost because of this. And that sickens me.

edit on 14-11-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I read some info on Kratom but the info was all over the place as to it's being a safe medicine to use. I consider it a medicine myself, one that could be abused if no regulations are in place. Opioids are natural, so is coc aine, they are also plant defense system chemicals meant to protect the plant in various ways. They work as medicines but in the wild they cause disruptive effects on animals which may lead to their death if they consume them or cause them to fight with other animals effectively killing off the population of animals browsing on the plants.

There are side effects to all medicines. I will not comment much on it till I see good evidence to show it is good or bad, not someone's opinion on the Kratom. Sometimes side effects take a while to occur with chemistries like this.

It does appear that the chemicals in Kratom are safer than some of the opiods they would replace. I think that maybe this should be regulated, with proper prescription someone should be able to buy it from a medical marijuana store.

I believe there is some truth to this article. www.fda.gov...

Plant defense system chemicals are far from harmless sometimes. Just because it is natural means nothing as to it's safety. Heroin is natural, so is coc aine.

<<   2  3 >>

join