It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Behind the Dramatic Rise in Violent Crime in the UK?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Nah, the preferred method here is Jujitsu. You bust out that Karate Kid swan pose and peeps run like hell.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Weans carry blades these days are indeed far more apt to use them on members of the public and themselves than in days gone by, that's a given really.

Fist fights are all well and good, but someones always apt to take the huff and pick something up, human nature i suppose.

So it's certainly not all honorable fisticuffs at dawn, that's for sure.

These wee bastards will not just steal the milk out your tea, they will take the jaw off your face given half the chance.
edit on 13-11-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Your world sounds horrible compared to mine.
Wouldnt wanna swap it.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Just don't call anyone 'The Milky Bar Kid'....

You couldn't make this crap up!

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: UpIsNowDown
ahh yes, young children as young as 9 are all criminals. What about the pregnant mother of five who was just murdered in London? Was she a criminal as well? Crossbow hit her heart a mere inches from the baby that had to be delivered a month early through surgery.

If only her husband was not such a puss, she would probably still be alive. I imagine the policies that force even a homeowner to defend himself in court for utilizing deadly force must be the reason this woman is dead, as he feared he would be in prison for killing the attacker trespassing on his property with a lethal weapon and instead chose to run screaming at his wife to do the same.

If only he had the right to shoot the violent criminal dead while protecting his home and family without having to explain himself to the authorities facing jail time, than just maybe this beautiful woman could still be around to mother her lovely children.

Just out of curiosity, what does a mother of 5 being shot with a crossbow by an ex husband have to do with increases in knife crime?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Has its moments of levity also i suppose.

Not my world anymore, there was a time through. LoL

You can avoid most of the troublemakers simply by staying away from the wrong sort of people, and also by knowing the right sort if you know what i mean.

You live in what amounts to a small town, i hail from a place that at one time was considered the murder capital of Europe.

Life is what you make it given half the chance.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Andy, I don't know what part of Scotland you're from but I know that people in parts of Scotland have been carrying, and using, knives for absolutely donkey's years!

However, I'm led to believe there has been a massive improvement in recent years and its been suggested that Scottish police may assist London's Met in attempts to replicate these policies.

An interesting read;www.theguardian.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Indeed there has been massive improvements.

There has also been seen a return to previous types 90s/early 2000 type crimes mainly down to austerity.

But on a whole, i imagine serious crime in Scotland is generally the same as ever.

Truth is if we give weans something to do and the funds to do so they won't stab each other as much, just how it is.
edit on 13-11-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I take it your from Glasgow then?

As I'm sure you're more than aware the use of knives was very common in Glasgow at one point....and not just with bairns.

I go to Glasgow quite frequently - I have some really good friends there - and have noticed changes over the years.

Austerity has been particularly hard - and punitive and unnecessary - on the most needy and poorest in our society.
Those responsible should be beheaded and their heads placed in prominent places throughout the UK.

We will be paying the price for these needless cuts for years to come.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Born and bred, lived in a few places all over Scotland and down south over the years.

Austerity is everywhere, fortunately, i live in an area now where its nowhere near as bad as some other places. Just wish it was an assured tenancy as opposed the monthly running lease we now have.

End of the day, after Brexit, i imagine things are only going to get worse long before they get better, if at all. Not even us but our kids that will pay the ultimate price.

We all know the problem and the solution, get Westminster to hell, but if memory serves last time we crapped out of it, unfortunately imho.
LoL

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I love Glasgow and its people....call a spade a spade and love a drink and a bit of craic.

Austerity was all about pushing an ideological agenda and nothing to do with economic necessity. That's why the most vulnerable, needy and worst off in our society were deliberately targeted and victimised.

I'm all for Brexit....but I see it as an opportunity for the people to rally together and clear away the #e and corrupt elite that have #ed us over for so long and start turning this great group of nations and people into something we ALL can be proud of.
It's an opportunity, and one we need to capitalise on....but I digress too far.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Poverty in a very materialist society and overcrowding.
edit on 13/11/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Well, agree or disagree on Brexit aside, if you ask me austerity and the growing divide between the haves and the have-nots is responsible for any significant increase regarding crime in general, including violent crimes.

Enjoyed the discussion but i have to go take the kids to Karate. LoL

Check in later.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian
It is a violent crime, which is covered under the title and the topic of the articles cited. If you read that this topic was exclusive to knife crime, then you read something else.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Um.... Immigration?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Ok, my bad. Although there certainly is heavy emphasis on the knife crime aspect in those linked articles.

Regardless though, why cite that particular incident? That crime, although abhorent, is domestic violence and probably also jealousy and honour based (given the backgrounds). It is an old fashioned and ,sadly, always present problem in every nation on the planet. It is certainly neither representative of a general increase in violent crime or evidence of that increase.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

At one time gun's were available for UK citizen's and Footpeds/Footpads now known as muggers are nothing new for our country simply the latest incarnation of the old highwayman.
Back in the 1800's there was quite a market for personal defense weapon's in the UK and they varied from the absurd to the ingenious.
But for the most part the lethal variety available to the Victorian gentleman after the open wearing of firearm's, sword's and daggers became a thing of the past ranged from the Cane Sword which was essentially a sword disguised as a gentleman's walking cane to a variety of concealed or concealable small gun's including similar Cane gun's were instead of a sword the cane was in fact a single shot rifle.

Today the choice for self defense within the UK is rather more limited.

Now to outsiders our anti weapon law's seem draconian but you have to remember they were part of our law's since a time when we DID have policemen patrolling on foot all day and night and usually a policeman on every street or every other street, they would patrol in a pattern were if they needed assistance in those pre-radio day's they could blow there whistle and there nearby colleagues would hear it bringing a cascade of bobby's running to there aid.

In today's world however with police few and far between, extremism, drug dealing, migrant's with little or no background check's for previous criminal history's perhaps it is indeed time that the UK did look once again at it's law's.

Personally I am against carried weapons' because in fact a weapon can just as easily escalate a situation as de-escalate it but home defense is another matter but if the criminals have the weapon's then maybe we should have the right to carry them too.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Hmmm, this should be considered an offensive weapon.

www.washingtonpost.com... of-control/?utm_term=.91bf6bfe7cd7

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Unfortunately the article is not visible perhaps because I am in the UK but to answer the question anything can be reasonably declared an offensive weapon if used as such and if intent to use said object can be shown.

But the standard definition for the item is meant to encapsulate item's which have been designed with violent intent in mind.

Hence back when I was in security before my health took a downward spiral we could not even carry the old big long truncheon bodied flash light's because of course they were designed originally as military kit to be used as a weapon, the bright light to stun an opponent (for instance if you are in the dark and creep up on them then flash them in the eye's and before they recover there sight) and carried resting on or over the shoulder which is how they are meant to carried is to enable the fluid motion of a flash blind/stun and heavy blow attack on an opponent were after flashing them in there eye's the attacker would then bring the body of the torch down on there head or the side of there head to incapacitate or even kill them.

www.inbrief.co.uk...
www.legislation.gov.uk...
www.cps.gov.uk...

However there are grey area's of our law's, not so much loopholes as time's and circumstanced were even an offensive weapon's use may be deemed to be reasonable but it is a case by case decision and in some cases such as the use of a gun it will automatically go against the person with the gun even if they used it in self defense and had a permit for it's ownership such as a farmer with a shot gun.
www.cps.gov.uk...
legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...
www.gov.uk...

If for examply you were to kill an attacker in self defense and it can be shown that you did not act in malice but ONLY in self defense and in fear of your own life then that can be argued to be reasonable use of force but if to do so you happened to use a weapon which was designed for harm or otherwise had a high lethality then that would complicated your defense immensely.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Be glad, it was the Harry and Meghan commemorative swimsuits on plus size models no less.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join