It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

decisions. . . . . decisions. . . . . .

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It depds on how close you are to retiring. What are we talking here, a few years?

The other hung it depends on is $$$$$$. Will the raise in pay make up for the things you don't necessarily want (having to live in freakish Portland, for one). Will you be able to DEFINITELY feel the raise in pay on that first new position paycheck? Something to conside. Of course you already know these things. Another thing- are you married? Because if you are, then you're leaving out a giant part of the decision by not asking her...or maybe you already have and she is ok either way.

Plus, sometimes it's the best thing to do something new. Just jump in. Especially if you've only a few years left.

Any gut feeling? I have an idea of what I think you want but I won't say unless my intuition is wrong 😂
edit on 12-11-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
The word on the worldly street now with the youngins....

Is to simplify....my buddy's daughter insists for him too!

I have a child that will be starting college soon and will want to make sure he isn't loaded with debt.

Take the job....do it For The Children.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I want to do it, just for the power and authority and a bigger office and a new toupee.

But I also like the slower, simpler life.

I had my excitement and drama with my old company (US Army) a few years ago. I like things slow and mellow.

But I also like a challenge.

Ultimately, I will probably do what my wife wants since she is WAY smarter than me.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Ah, tough call then I would imagine.

Is it worth your happiness?

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

You are how far from not working at all anymore?

And do you need to lose your precious house on the coast?

And how much would this pad your "sitting on the deck in your pumps drinking a Pina Colada" post-work lifestyle?

Is the move and the extra pressure worth it?

I have to balance that about every year now myself, with what I do exploding, companies wanting me to just run it vs what I am personally comfortable with.

I think you just need to balance your end game with how quickly you can get there.

Where do you want to end?

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

I have a child that will be starting college soon and will want to make sure he isn't loaded with debt.

I'd be able to take care of his tuition without a blink if I took it.

But then I'd grow bitter with resentment and sink into a pit of despair and wallow in self-pity.

Or just buy a new hat.

I always feel better when I do that!
edit on 12-11-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

With my family happy, safe and secure.

I'm always happy with a single malt and a nice book.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just milk the income until you retire and pass it on to your kids.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
My husband keeps getting approached by his superiors with a standing offer to get a company-paid business degree, and leapfrog up the ladder with it to a much higher position with much fatter pay. The degree would basically be a formality, he technically has all the experience he needs to do the work already.

We've hemmed and hawed collectively, he's hemmed and hawed solo. He's still hemming and hawing a year later, and they keep asking "Pretty please?"
Actually, the big wigs keep asking him to golf outings. Which is more like being put on the spot to him than asking "pretty please?"

It would entail a lot more paperwork & meetings, both domestic & international travel, a large expense account, and they keep saying they'd be more than happy to cart us around the globe with him if he's uncomfortable leaving the fam for extended periods (um, I like this idea. A LOT.)

What's got him stuck in decision limbo is that he's not sure he can handle the stress of that kind of job. The one he has is what he calls "Upper Management Lite", where the middle management guys do a lot of the same kind of work, just in less volume, and tied to their specific plant and not regional, national or international ones. He'd be doing work relating to the entire continent's plants. not just his, if he took the job.

Also, we'd have to relocate to a different state. He REALLY likes Michigan and as he says, "They're going to have to up the salary offer and provide hookers & blow on the clock for me to move away from here."

I take that back, I don't think he's stuck in decision limbo. I think he just hasn't admitted to himself he doesn't want the very attractive job, that does keep his attention when they dangle the offer, that much.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

But then I'd grow bitter with resentment and sink into a pit of despair and wallow in elf-pity.

Or just buy a new hat.

I put two through college @ 45K per year.

I'll be honest...I'm proud I could do that for them...with no debt for them to contend with when they graduated.

Also...It's great being able to hold that over their heads for the rest of my life.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

With my family happy, safe and secure.

I'm always happy with a single malt and a nice book.

BS.

How do you want it to end... I don't mean your job, but where you want to live for the rest of your life after.

To me it has always been where I wanted to live when I retired.

The job and the place I worked was secondary.

I do admit that retiring to me was owning the place I wanted and being able to putter around on it till I fell over someday.

SoOo.. what is the dream after you are done working?

You can get a single malt and a good book anywhere.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

That's where I am.

When they spoke of the salary I actually told the HR lady to "Shut up!"

And then laughed. And maybe wee'd a little in my pants.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

destroy lives at a whim...

largest penis

Call me crazy, but I think you've already made your decision. You just want validation from us small-penisy peons whose lives are a shambles.

*nods*

I do want my penis validated.

Wait, we are allowed to say penis on ATS!!!

Man, I have a whole new world of opportunities opened up for me!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

You can get a single malt and a good book anywhere.

I know.

That's why I am letting my bride call the shots a little more.

She stuck with me through many moves from bases in Germany and all over the US and with me gone extended on other things.

I do this FOR her because she earned it.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

But then I'd grow bitter with resentment and sink into a pit of despair and wallow in elf-pity.

Or just buy a new hat.

I put two through college @ 45K per year.

I'll be honest...I'm proud I could do that for them...with no debt for them to contend with when they graduated.

Also...It's great being able to hold that over their heads for the rest of my life.

I want to be able to do that as well.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I had a corporate job offer not so long ago for 'obscene' amounts of money, and 'obscene' benefits. I would have had to go to Oakland, CA to do it. I made the company "obscene" gestures to demonstrate my lack of willingness to take the position, and accepted a less 'obscene' position for less 'obscene' money.

I now wish I would have made "obscene" gestures even for the less obscene position, and just stayed in my non-obscene role.

And just today, some corporate VP "suggested" to me I should plan on spending about 6 days of every month out of the Country in order to maintain my "obscene" position, and I "suggested" that he might want to consider applying suction to an ("obscene") part of my anatomy!

So, it ain't all about money...and more importantly...PORTLAND!!!

edit on 11/12/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Ascend to the BOSS LEVEL!!!

Otherwise, why’d you play the game, man?

And living in Portland might mean you rub elbows with enough crazy left wingers that you won’t feel like coming after us here as much...you know, a “desensitized” DBCowboy.

Seriously, whatever you decide, I wish you well with it. Either be someone’s Gunther, or the Over-Gunther of them all.

(Hm. For some reason I keep getting flash images of the Boss in the LEGO movie...)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I had a corporate job offer not so long ago for 'obscene' amounts of money, and 'obscene' benefits. I would have had to go to Oakland, CA to do it. I made the company "obscene" gestures to demonstrate my lack of willingness to take the position, and accepted a less 'obscene' position for less 'obscene' money.

I now wish I would have made "obscene" gestures even for the less obscene position, and just stayed in my non-obscene role.

And just today, some corporate VP "suggested" to me I should plan on spending about 6 days of every month out of the Country in order to maintain my "obscene", and I "suggested" that he might want to consider applying suction on an ("obscene") part of my anatomy!

So, it ain't all about money...and more importantly...PORTLAND!!!

I wear a pink hat so I'm good at disguises.

link   

a reply to: KansasGirl

I want to do it, just for the power and authority and a bigger office and a new toupee.

But I also like the slower, simpler life.

I had my excitement and drama with my old company (US Army) a few years ago. I like things slow and mellow.

But I also like a challenge.

Ultimately, I will probably do what my wife wants since she is WAY smarter than me.

It sounds like you should do it, depending on how many years you have left. How many?

link   

As you know, they’d be paying well for good reason
(Not because of your skills or experience but because it will suck donkey ba...you know what, TAKE IT)...and learn to love balls!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join